10w-30 Tech 2000 (Wal-Mart Canada/Safety-Kleen recycled), '01 Subaru 2.5L, 5000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zero Pb!
Recycled oil!

Oil was in use Jul, Aug, and Sep. The auto tranny in this car runs in 4th, with tcc locked, as slow as 30 mph, which is 1250 rpm. I aim for high gas mileage, so it gets plenty of this operation. It was driven 90% highway at 75 mph, and saw about 10 full throtle passing maneuvers.

oil filter: Carquest Premium (leaked 1/2L at gasket)

air filter: from Subaru dealer (unknown make)

This is the cheapest oil on the market here, sold by Wal Mart in the Toronto area, for about us$0.70 per litre. It's probably the recycled oil made by Safety Kleen.

The previous oil was Tech 2000 15w40 (used 2000 miles), and prior to that was Mobil 1 0w-30 (used 750 miles), hence the trace of moly and boron. I tested the 15w40 and found a 2.5% drop in fuel economy. The 0w-30 worked great last winter, and I'll be using it again this winter, or maybe some German Castrol 0w-30.

This analysis cost, with shipping both ways,
and taxes, almost C$50.

code:

MOB2 oil analysis results by Wearcheck Canada

miles on engine: 22000

miles on oil: 4950

element ppm

contaminants

Si 9.9

K 0.0

Na 0.0

fuel 0.0%

glycol 0.0%

water
sulfation 52

nitration 31

B 3.0

Ba 0.4

Ca 1969

Mg 11

Mo 1.2

P 850

S 3052

Zn 970

visc @ 100C 10.4 cSt

oxidation 42

TBN 4.4

wear metals

Fe 5.3

Ni 0.0

Cr 0.8

Ti 0.0

Cu 3.0

Al 2.8

Sn 0.0

Pb 0.0

Ag 0.3

They had a graph showing particle counts, but I'm not sure how to interpret it

maybe 1000 particles/cc at 20um, and maybe 4000 at 10 um.

There was "PA" after the nitration, oxidation, and sulfation on the web page, so these numbers might be "percent allowable". The oil was suitable for continued service.

I'm really happy about how this oil worked for me, and how well my car's new short block is wearing. The previous engine had a leaky head gasket, and the night after I brought it home from the dealership for that repair, a piston snapped, trashing the engine. One of the heads was saved. All repairs were paid by Subaru under warranty. I wanted to make sure nothing was leaking or wearing abnormally in this new one. Winter starts are rather noisy with the new engine, but it gets better fuel economy than the old one.

[ October 08, 2003, 05:16 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

These kind of numbers almost make me want to use the cheap stuff!
I'll probably be trying the Tech 2000 0W-30 synthetic this winter too.

Lucky thing your engine went while still under warranty.

I laughed when I read that you actually know how many full throttle passes you made. Not that it's bad, your car will probably love you for it in the long run, but just that it's so different from me since every time I pass someone it's full throttle! Although I guess you've got less opportunity for that with all your multi-lane roads.

Nice report! Once again, another good Subaru report! I wouldn't be too quick to pat this oil on the back, as I doubt it would show such good numbers in other vehicles. Truth be told, it's almost impossible to see a bad report in a Subaru engine, these things are obviously built to last.

Maybe this engine can safely use a #20 oil. I almost bought some 0w-20 when I was in the US, but took home the 0w-30 instead, because it carried the A5 rating, whereas the 0w-20 did not.

Something I forgot to mention is that I took a good look at my piston ring grooves after the piston snapped. The ring grooves were quite filled with carbon. I'm not sure if it's the Sunoco gas I used (gasohol), or the oil not cleaning properly. The tech guy said there was a lot of carbon buildup in the combustion chambers that he scraped off, so maybe it was the gasoline. The engine never burned any oil, even after 12,000 km on the second oil change.
I used Canadian Tire brand synthetic oil.

It looks like the oil was about half used up, with TBN at 4.4, and oxidation at 42, and I could have gone 10,000 miles of summer highway driving.
Maybe 7500 is a good safe limit, for summer.

Why all the sulfur? Is this always present but just skipped by Blackstone and others?

I thought the posted MSDS data sheets when searched for Wal-Mart indicated that all of this was Warren Performance Products?

[ October 08, 2003, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: csandste ]

quote:

Why all the sulfur? Is this always present but just skipped by Blackstone and others

Apparently Blackstone doesn't analyze for sulfur. Not even a place for it on their reports. Would be good to have it, along with nitration and oxidation, but would probably increase the cost.

quote:

I thought the posted MSDS data sheets when searched for Wal-Mart indicated that all of this was Warren Performance Products?

There were MSDS's for Tech 2000 and for Super Tech products. Obviously different products from different manufacturers.

a few more notes:

I have two rare earth magnets in the drain plug, in a pair of holes I drilled. One has N up, and the other S. There was a thin layer of black buildup on them. Also, when I drive and see a cloud of dust ahead, like from a construction site, I take my foot off the gas and let the car coast through. That might help keep out the abrasive dust.

Wal Mart in Toronto gets its Tech 2000 from Safety-Kleen, an oil recycler.

In rechecking those MSDS sheets, apparently Wal-Mart co-lists Tech 2000 along with SuperTech on some American products, even though the brand hasn't been used here since about 1999. My assumption is that the MSDS safety sheets are for the U.S. only and any references to Canada are somewhere else.

Originally posted by oilyriser:
[QB] *-*-*-The ring grooves were quite filled with carbon. I'm not sure if it's the Sunoco gas I used (gasohol), or the oil not cleaning properly. -*-*-*-
IMO the oil helped here, but maybe the rings were worn before the oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back