10w-30 or stay with SAE-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a couple of older diesel tractors that call for a straight 30 weight oil. Lately, I've noticed Rotella 10w-30 at a few different stores in my area. Since these tractors see some pretty cold starts in the winter, I'd really like to give the 10w-30 a try. Do I need to be concerned with switching over. Both engines have around 2500 hours on them. Does the 10w-30 have a higher amount of detergents that might loosen up some deposits in either engine?

Thanks for any input.

In my John Deere" 30ish horse power" manual 10w/30 and straight 30 have different max temperature cutoff The straight 30 is up with the 15w/40. The 10w/30 is a lower temp.

Hi Doug,

One tractor is a 1984 Allis-Chalmers, & it has an Allis-Chalmers I-6 426 cu in (7.0 L) turbo diesel rated at 130 HP. The other tractor is a 1976 International Harvester with an I-4 239 cu in engine rated at 60 HP.

I also just noticed in the the International's owner's manual that it specifically states not to use a 10w-30 oil.
dunno.gif

Hi wyandot - I have checked my records for both of these engines and a 15w-40 HDEO is recommended here

You don't say what you have used before but I have presumed that it is a SAE30 HD diesel rated oil - perhaps you could give us some details

If it has been as stated above then Castrol's RX Super 15w-40 would do the job well and it is an excellent product

If there are long periods without use an Agricultural version of RX Super with a Vapour Phase Inhibitor (VPI) would be my choice

Doug

Doug,

Thank you very much for the info, & you have presumed correctly. SAE-30 & they sit unused for long periods. I do have a few more questions, though.

Would that oil work in a 1969 International 281 cu in engine as well. It would be really nice to have a single oil to use in all my tractors & trucks, including my newer ones that already call for a 15w-40.

Could Castrol have a different name for RX Super in the USA? I can't find any mention of it on their US website.

I wonder if my local BP fuel distributor could get this oil for me. I've never heard of the VPI before, but it sounds like a great idea for farm use.

Thanks again.
cheers.gif

Yes the name has changed it is now Castrol GTX Diesel. I think as long as you do not get a lot of cold temps where you live the 15W-40 would be fine for all of your trucks, especially if they already say they can use 15W-40. I don't think you should have any problems using the 15W-40, even my Bronco II 2.9L V6 says it can use 15W-40. You shouldn't have any problems. Hope all goes well.

Hi,
yes the International 281 cu in engine recommendation from Castrol is for an HDEO 15w-40 too

In Australia Castrol GTX Diesel and RX Super are different oils

Any 15w-40 HDEO will do the job but I would use an API rated CI-4/SL version if convenient to obtain and standardise with your other newer vehicles - the brand is really not so important

Doug

Thank you everyone for your help. I was worried about switching to 10w-30, & I find out I can use 15w-40 in all of my diesel engines. I'm glad I didn't order a new drum of SAE-30 last month.
cool.gif

Does anyone know if any other 15w-40 HDEO is available with the Vapor Phase Inhibitor? Castrol is pretty difficult to find around here in bulk.

quote:

Originally posted by wyandot:
the International's owner's manual that it specifically states not to use a 10w-30 oil.
dunno.gif

would an oil recommendation out of a 1976 manual have any relevance with oils of today?

if you're looking for cold start performance, what about 5w-40 oils, something like rotella 5w40 which is pretty available?

quote:

If there are long periods without use an Agricultural version of RX Super with a Vapour Phase Inhibitor (VPI) would be my choice

here in Oz that would be one of Castrols Agri range,with probably the most suitable being Agri Power Plus.
Most of the Cockies around here use it or Agri MP Plus. I used to use RX-Super in our farm tractors, (when on the farm) including a White with a 6-354T Perkins, Case IH, etc. Still have a little Fiat 550, and use Fuchs Titan Ultralube 15W-40 CI-4 in it. FWIW, the oil specs for the Fiat are 20W-40 above 0*C/32*F and 10W-30 below 0*. It never gets below -7* here overnight in winter, and the tractor wont start then anyway.
wink.gif

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
CASTROL AGRI POWER PLUS is a true high performance, SAE 15W-40 multigrade engine oil designed specifically to lubricate and protect the typical broad range and brands of equipment found on Australian farms.
CASTROL AGRI POWER PLUS has the added benefit of ICP* (Internal Corrosion Protection).
PRODUCT APPLICATION
CASTROL AGRI POWER PLUS is a balanced formulation which exceeds the API CH-4 diesel and the SJ petrol-engine specification. It is Castrol’s prime recommendation for mixed fleet farming operations, ensuring high levels of protection to American, European and Japanese powered machinery.
CASTROL AGRI POWER PLUS is recommended for diesel engines, either turbocharged or non-turbocharged, and all fuel types of petrol engines. Note: As with all API CH-4 rated engine oils, the higher phosphorous levels may in time reduce the efficiency of catalytic converters.
PRODUCT FEATURES & BENEFITS
• one oil for farm and on-road vehicles, reduces inventory.
• ideally suited for mixed fleet farming operations, avoids misapplication.
• Improved soot related wear protection, increases engine durability.
• excellent piston deposit control, reduces oil consumption.
• balanced formulation of ash and alkaline reserve to minimise engine deposits, helps extend engine life.
• contains ICP* (Internal Corrosion Protection).
* How ICP works: When farm machinery is shut down between seasons, the oil drains from surfaces in the engine, transmission and hydraulic systems, exposing them to the effects of atmospheric corrosion. The ICP additive blended into the Castrol Agri range preserves those internally exposed surfaces by coating them in a protective vapour shield. Peace of mind protection all year round.
SPECIFICATIONS
AGRI POWER PLUS
B1543/02 (replaces none)
SAE 15W-40
Diesel: API CH-4
Petrol: API SJ
CASTROL AGRI POWER PLUS may be recommended against the following specifications and manufacturers’ requirements:
Massey Ferguson M1140, M1109
Ford M2C153-E, M2C121-B
Caterpillar ECF-1
John Deere JDS - G135
Case MS 1120
Mercedes 227.1
GM 6094 M
Note: CASTROL AGRI POWER PLUS is not suitable for use in two stroke engines
TYPICAL CHARACTERISTICS
SAE Grade KV40°C cSt KV100°C cSt CCS@ -20°C
cP Viscosity Index Sulfated Ash %wt TBN
mg KOH / g API Rating 15W-40 114 15.2 7000 max 139 1.2 10.2 CH-4

[ September 10, 2005, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: tdi-rick ]

Wyandot, the 10W-30 likely is not recommended because the engines of that vintage had relatively large oil pump clearances compared to later designs intended to make use of lighter oils. A 5W or 10W probably wouldn't give you the oil pressure the bearings were designed to use. (please, no comments about viscosity v. temperature)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back