10w 30 oil

Castrol claims that their research shows that it takes about 20 minutes for the sump oil to come up to full operating temperature. It is during this time frame that most of the wear occurs. They have papers written on this topic and of course there are numerous advertisements for their Magnatec product that is specifically designed to protect engines during this warming up period.
The wear just doesn't come from the oil . The wear also comes from the richer air ,fuel mixture and the pistons are oval measure them, and the engines clearances are machined so they will be proper when the engine is at operating temps Metals expand when heated. There is more blow by in a cold engine and combined with the richer air fuel mixture the acidic blow by washes the cylinder s of oil . There is also more wear until operating oil pressures are achieved. If you look at the million mile vehicle reports they are engines that spend their lives at operating temps.

No. And whether or not it is much thicker is entirely dependent upon the temperature. “Cold” is relative.
There is a "cold" temp is stated on this chart ,, no?.

sae-j300-motor-oil-viscosities-jpg.72309

Ct8 what kschachn is saying cold is relative to one's location.

In your area temps in the single digits is quite common. Conversely in Austin Texas temps in the single digits is exceptionally cold.

For the same effect to be felt in your area it would have to be -30°F and even a bit colder than that.

My area if low temps if it's 0°F or a bit below that.... It's extremely cold.

Now low temps in the mid 20s or low 30s... Routine typical seen temps.

Cold for me... Is temps in the 10s or colder. I can wear shorts in temps in the 20s or 30s. IF I am only going from my car into a grocery store etc etc. Now if I am outside for a longer period of time then I do dress warm enough to do that. No shorts obviously.

If it's in the 10s or colder... Then I wear long pants even know I am walking from my car into a store.

Back