10w-30 in new Honda Odyssey

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be due for a oil change on the wife's Odyssey in the next two months. I realize it calls for 5w-20 for all climates. Since I live in Hotlanta (ambient temperature range of 65F-95F), I am going to use a BITOG favorite dino oil (Pennzoil, Castrol, Chevron Supreme) for the hot summer. When its due for its next OCI in October/November, I will go with the Motorcraft 5w-20.

Comments?

IMO.....from the 5w20 UOA's posted here.......I don't think that you will be better off with a 30 weight. I would use a 5w20 and then test. If everything looks good......then keep using it.

As good as the 5W-20 is, I probably would do the heavier 10W-30. I'm nor sure its really warranted though.
smile.gif

The '03 Ody that I own (in CA) sees temps similar to Atlanta but not the humidity. The winters however are not as cold. I've monkeyed around and found that 5w-20 works no different than 10-30 or 5-30 which I have tried. I am using Durablend with a Fram X2 filter and change 4x a year. I am sticking with Durablend 5w-20.

I don't do uoi's and won't keep the vehicle for over 100k miles. So I am not an "expert" but do have experience with the kind of vehicle you have.

Those Ody's really have a lot of get up and go (for a minivan)

Last week I did an oil chang on a friends 2000 Ody van and it called for 5W-30. I doubt that there is any difference beween the '00 and the '04 manufacturing which accounts for the newer model's 5W-20 recommendation.

Based on that I would think that a 5W-30 or even 10W-30 is likely to perform well for you in the summer in Hotlanta.

Have you considering using the German Castrol 0W-30? It turns in some excellent results.

John

quote:

Originally posted by jthorner:
Based on that I would think that a 5W-30 or even 10W-30 is likely to perform well for you in the summer in Hotlanta.

Have you considering using the German Castrol 0W-30? It turns in some excellent results.

Since I will be changing the oil at 3K-3.5K (first OCI), I am using the old fashioned dino oil up to 10,000 miles. I will consider GC or other quality synthetic at that point.

I am going with dino 10w-30 over the dino 5w-30 for better shear stability. I am not a fan of dino 5w-30 in my climate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back