10W-30 Dino ok down to 0 degrees?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My local AZ has Formula Shell 5 quart jugs for $7.99, and I'm thinking about cleaning them out. Going to run it in my truck (see below) all year around for 4k intervals or so, which is roughly 6 months.

Any thoughts? Also, how long is stored oil good for? Trying to judge how much to buy...

GM in their manuals up until recently had it posted 10W-30 as suitable down to 0 F, and for "extreme cold temperatures" 0W-30 is reccomended.

Yes it will work.

Since oil changes with new standards I would buy enough for a year or 2 of oil changes.

I don't see using 10W30 as a problem down to 0*F, I would prefer to stick with 5W30 during the winter months, but that's just me. As far as shelf life, most oil companies told me 4-5 years, but there are plenty of members who have used oil older than that with no issues. My guess is it can be stored a lot longer. If you're worried shake the bottles before you use them.

10w30 is good down to 0 degrees F. I last changed the oil in my Chevy Venture 3.4l with 10 year old no name brand 10w30 oil and it is working fine.

You could easily run the Shell for an entire year, change it out in the spring, the 10w30 is much more shear stable than a 5w30, and it will easily last 8K for an annual change. The shelf life, in my experience the 10 year old oil works exactly the same as if it is brand new. Stored in an unheated garage.

We have just been holding a discussion about why our engines sound so poor when we use group 4 and 5 oils, and now we find out that the FILM STRENGTH of group 2 > 3 > 4 > 5. So conventional modern group 2 oil has the best film strength, and using 10w30 means it will not shear down or thin out on you. So stock up and clean them out, and run it for the full year, it should easily last. Does the truck have an OCM?

The 10w30 will run fine down to zero. Growing up in Green Bay WI in the early 80's that was the thinest multi visc oil available. It worked fine then, and motor oil has improved tremendously since. Alot of times we ran straight 10w in the winter.

Quote:
The 10w30 will run fine down to zero.
Or less!! Like 3putter said - that's all we had to use back when, and it worked. Now, if there was a comparable 0-30 or 5-30 sitting there for the same price, I think I'd use it, but the 10-30 will sure work okay.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: MGregoir
GM in their manuals up until recently had it posted 10W-30 as suitable down to 0 F, and for "extreme cold temperatures" 0W-30 is reccomended.

Correct. Mine (2.2L OHV) calls for 5W-30. It states that 10W-30 can used above 0F, and 5W-30 or a 0W-30 "synthetic" should be used if the temp gets down to -25F...

Ran 10w-30 Trop Artic in the Taurus last winter. Couple of -15F nights. Car started up just fine with no clank-clank-clank noise.

You'll be fine at 0F.

No start up noise does not indicate no start up problems or excess wear due to oil starvation.

Anyways, people used 10-40 in millions of cars in the winter for many decades. Seeing a 5 or 0 was very rare.
So your 10-30 should be fine. Not my first choice, though. I would get the latest version of a 5-something.

Forget about the bad advice that the 10-30 will last 'at least 8,000 miles'. Nonsense.

Even though I'd prefer to run a 5w30 when it gets down to 0F, the 10w30 can probably handle it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I am pretty sure that they made the cold cranking tests a little bit tougher a few years ago (starting with with the switch to SL formulas I believe?) in order for an oil to qualify to be labeled as a 5w oil. So that means today's 10w oils would've probably been able to be labelled as 5w oils before the change in the tests.

GM engineers find that 8500 miles is a good average oil change interval. They made a very good oil change monitor that we have found to be quite reliable. Your 10w30 will easily last 8000 miles, because GM is figuring you are using the less shear stable conventional 5w30 for your oil change.

Almost all 2005 and later General Motors vehicles are equipped with its Oil Life System, which makes use of a color-coded system to alert the driver when it’s time to change the oil. A “yellow” condition indicates that it’s time to think about changing the oil, while a “red” condition indicates that the oil is past its service life. According to GM, the typical drain interval for vehicles equipped with the Oil Life System is 8,500 miles, which will result in a savings of 6.6 million gallons of oil and $145 million for 2005 model-year drivers over the lives of their vehicles.

I found this out from the Amsoil website.

Standard oil changes for Subaru is 7500 miles, and Ford also 7500miles. 8000 mile recommendation is reasonable if your driving does not fall under category of "severe service".

Last edited:
I'd use that oil for 5K intervals and I'd use 5w30 for the coldest 3 months. The 5w30 will flow a bit faster and lower start up wear a bit. You could use 10w30 but its not the 'best' choice in winter IMO.

As far as how long oil lasts I currently have SH rated PAO Pennzoil Performax in my Buick. The oil is about 14 years old and the car is running fine.
A couple of years ago I had a great UOA with 12 year old oil.
I really don't believe that oil spoils like milk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back