10W-30 Conventional, my worst fears

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have my own creative interpretation of that owner's manual page, which FYI have been exactly the same in all 3 of my Kia/Hyundais.

5w20 is not available...in my garage
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Brons2
I have my own creative interpretation of that owner's manual page, which FYI have been exactly the same in all 3 of my Kia/Hyundais.

5w20 is not available...in my garage
wink.gif

Do you have a sign above the garage "My Garage, My Rules".
grin.gif

I was just going to have the dealership do it and be a good boy. Then I had gallons of 5w-30 Pennzoil Platinum free and I figured out how to change my oil in 15 minutes, car parked in garage. Very simple. Dealership took over hour to change oil, overfilled it, and I live 25 minutes away. Changing my own oil is also a way of showing love to my car. I even am using a Fram filter which makes me a Rebel.
31.gif

I have used and will use Chevron Supreme in both my vehicles. It doesn't say anything about being a synthetic oil on the container but from what I understand it is a semi-synthetic oil which Chevron does not advertise about this oil. For now my F150 has Motorcraft synthetic blend oil in it and my Versa Note has full synthetic Napa oil. I don't swear aligence to any brand but buy the least expensive priced quality oil I find. My stash shows a history of oil bought on sales and roll backs mostly at Walmart.

Back in the day Havoline was shown a lot of love here. I never stocked up on oil before coming here. It started with free case of oil after rebate. Then I was at an Auto Zone when they were clearing out Synthetic oil for $1.00 a quart. I still remember the rush of positive emotions adding to my stash that day. Looking back I can see BITOG is where social oil users come to become addicts.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
Back in the day Havoline was shown a lot of love here. I never stocked up on oil before coming here. It started with free case of oil after rebate. Then I was at an Auto Zone when they were clearing out Synthetic oil for $1.00 a quart. I still remember the rush of positive emotions adding to my stash that day. Looking back I can see BITOG is where social oil users come to become addicts.
wink.gif

Our little town has two quick lubes … a Mobil 1 and a Havoline ... even though it’s Chevron many here would remember it as a Texaco product …

I say you'll be just fine. It appears to meet the OEM requirements, and it will be fine in your climate. The fuel economy penalty will be negligible, if non-existent, and certainly won't be measurable outside a lab. Heck, an ILSAC 10w-30 and ILSAC 5w-30 can have identical HTHS, so any fuel economy benefits of a 5w-30, for instance, might only be during warm up. The 5w-30 I'm running will be worse on fuel economy than the 10w-30 you have, but I'll never measure the difference, either.

Garak you hit the nail on the head. The HTHS is about the same between 5w-30 Pennzoil Platinum and the Chevron I am using now. It is hot lately so does not take long to get to operating temps. Both oils are working well for myself and others which gives me peace of mind.

It's still a 30 at op temp. And Chevron makes some pretty stout oils. I'd have no concern about running Supreme in any motor, except some very finicky DI engines ...

Use the 10w30 Dino you have until it's gone, you won't harm your engine. You can also mix it with the syn you have on hand.

-TheLubinaor

Chevron Supreme is good. I have used chevron 10Wx30 in our Tuscon (oil cap says 5Wx20) MANY times... I still have lots of left-over chevron supreme 5Wx30 and 10Wx30 from costco.
My Tacoma loves that oil!

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
I came here with an oil burning Saturn, and when I sold it had 5 gallons of Chevron Supreme 10w-30 left over. Was not planing on using it on the Elantra, but after research here and reading very informative posts by an Australian Hyundai owner I changed my mind. In that part of the world 10w-30 is the recommended oil.

So my fears are I would create an oil burning car like my Saturn. The other concern is reduced fuel economy. I am on a budget and was not sure how the mileage would work out.

Dont worry, you didnt "create" the oil burning Saturn, it was the design of the engine (assuming you changed at recommended OCIs) and you will not notice a difference in fuel economy either.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Dont worry, you didnt "create" the oil burning Saturn, it was the design of the engine (assuming you changed at recommended OCIs) and you will not notice a difference in fuel economy either.

After 13 years of topping off oil weekly I pay attention when it comes to oil. The Hyundai is different design/engine thankfully.

You are wrong about fuel economy. It has been consistently the best I have had yet.
grin.gif

Chevron Supreme was my go to oil when it was constantly on rebate for cheap back in the mid 2000s. It is a good oil.

Oil burning is more about piston ring tension and more frequent change (or synthetic) helps reduce build up that get it stuck, not about oil viscosity.

Enjoy the car, 10w30 is totally fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back