10th gen civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
would like some opinions please...I didn't see much talk lately about the new earthdreams 1.5 di/turbo engine. I currently own an 17' with this engine and could not believe @ 1500miles how black the oil was. I'd be willing to bet some fuel dilution was going on, but of course no real lab proof. as you know Honda specs a general sn rated 0w20 for this application. I believe Honda is doing so just to be café compliant, and can't believe at least a 5w30 would be more appropriate like other manufactures have gone with. what are the bitogers thoughts on this? I'm currently running Castrol w/ titanium 5w30.

i have 2.0 liter turbo with direct injection also, the oil in mine is usually pretty black too. i wouldn't worry about it. i run 5w40 liquimoly if you feel more comfortable change the oil a little sooner.

would anybody if owning this vehicle stick with 0w20, and still feel comfortable with protection being maintained? I suppose it's just to early with this engine generation in really knowing yet or not. this is Honda's 1st turbo/di combo, and we all know how they love the thinner viscosity side of things.

Does it offer alternatives in the manual or is it 0w20 only? I never did have a chance to look at the manual when my BIL bought his 2017 6spd manual 2-door Civic back in December 2016.

I would want to be totally sure that there is nothing wrong with the engine. Not sure if anyone has said this, but is a truism and a truth that the color of the oil has almots no bearing on the quality and life remaining in the lubricant.

Originally Posted By: dblshock

I'm dumping the Mobil 1 5/30 this weekend filling with Delvac 1 5/40

Are you going to run a UOA?

waiting on your outcome...
smirk.gif

Why? Do you even know why? Because your oil is dark? The color of the oil has nothing to do with how the oil is performing. The color of the oil does not necessarily indicate fuel dilution. The oil gets dark quickly because it's a tiny motor spinning a tiny turbocharger 200,000 rpms. It generates heat. Honda engineers KNOW that and still put 0w20 in it because it's FINE. But no, you needed a 30wt. Oh no it's dark, better put a Delvac 40 wt in it. Big diesel trucks use that so my Honda will surely be protected if I use that. Is that your "logic"? Do you care that makes no sense?

There are 100s of posters like you who don't learn anything but just post post post. The amount of things done by feeling and anecdotes just confuses people who actually want to learn about oil selection. This site is ridiculous sometimes.

Originally Posted By: jayg

Why? Do you even know why? Because your oil is dark? The color of the oil has nothing to do with how the oil is performing. The color of the oil does not necessarily indicate fuel dilution. The oil gets dark quickly because it's a tiny motor spinning a tiny turbocharger 200,000 rpms. It generates heat. Honda engineers KNOW that and still put 0w20 in it because it's FINE. But no, you needed a 30wt. Oh no it's dark, better put a Delvac 40 wt in it. Big diesel trucks use that so my Honda will surely be protected if I use that. Is that your "logic"? Do you care that makes no sense?

There are 100s of posters like you who don't learn anything but just post post post. The amount of things done by feeling and anecdotes just confuses people who actually want to learn about oil selection. This site is ridiculous sometimes.

Nice post.
He goes thru all that rigamarole posting those pics, then only adds one sentence in his thoughts.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Yes, trust the all knowing engineers, as these guys are incapable of making mistakes and are totally shielded from the outside influences such as fuel economy, emissions, corporate policy, etc. Nope, their only goal is the best engine protection.
crackmeup2.gif

So do you think Honda engineers determined how the MM calculates oil life with total disregard to oil viscosity/fuel dilution, such that it could be off by several thousand miles and a heavier oil grade is needed? And if you actually felt this was true, would you not run a UOA to confirm?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Yes, trust the all knowing engineers, as these guys are incapable of making mistakes and are totally shielded from the outside influences such as fuel economy, emissions, corporate policy, etc. Nope, their only goal is the best engine protection.
crackmeup2.gif

This never ending debate.

Question: Do I trust a Honda engineer's recommendation even with corporate and federal pressure to meet CAFE standards over a guy who moves a full grade up after he looks at his dipstick every 3 weeks to determine his oil is inadequate?

Answer: Absolutely.

I'm not here to convince anyone what to do with their property, but whenever the infamous engineers are brought up I just laugh. Big corps have layers and layers of decision makers and chances are, engineering was but a small part of the overall decision process.

On the other hand, if I were the owner of one of these engines that are famous for fuel dilution, oil consumption or other engine problems that could be related to the overly thin oil specified, where such problems were not present with the thicker oil specified, I would not pretend that the engineers have it all figured out and do the logical thing and go back to the oil viscosity that worked.

But really, why am I wasting time here? I keep forgetting that the level of knowledge here deteriorated so far that people think 5w30 will cause damage where 0w20 is specified, for no other reason than the old "engineers know best" rhetoric
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back