10k OCI's without UOA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My parents have a 2012 Camry, 4 cyl with 62,000 miles. Since new, they have followed the local dealership recommendation of 10k OCI's at the dealership with Toyota synthetic oil and OEM filter of course. So, they have only had 6 oil changes. Their driving is probably 90% highway and nothing that would meet the severe categories.
I'm still having a hard time getting used to the idea of 10k. Does this sound reasonable with this oil, on this car?

Im still wiggling around in my seat letting my stuff go 7,500 miles, however im proud of myself for that. old habbits die hard.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
Im still wiggling around in my seat letting my stuff go 7,500 miles, however im proud of myself for that. old habbits die hard.

Same here.

I have a hard time extending OCI's too. I run 5k OCIs on synthetic in my car because my cars engine is supposed to be a major sludger. Also gives me an excuse to change it. If I were all highway I'd probably go 7,000 though.

Originally Posted By: lukejo

Same here.

Me too, if fact with the way my vehicles are driven I wouldn't dare chance it without some kind of data to back it up. I play it safe and don't worry about the money I might save extending the OCI, or using a UOA to prove what I already know. I follow severe service intervals, which I fall into without any doubt.

I'm not bashing 10K OCIs or UOA reports, they represent value to a lot of people.

I had a hard time with extending. Wen't slowly to 5k and then 7k with UOA and up to 8k. I am comfortable with up to 8k and sea saw in my head to try 10k and do a UOA. I'd like to see a UOA for comfort.

I do this every OCI in my CR-V with the same kind of driving style, using PP or M1. I've done one UOA back at about 70k and it came back that I was just fine. Another one is in the mail for nearly 13k at 200k overall miles.

You'll never get me to go beyond a 5000 OCI in any Toyota engine no matter who says it's Ok. Toyota has been wrong about OCI's so many times in the past that I just won't do it.

The 90% highway driving would make me feel comfortable going 10K.
I wouldn't do 10K if there was a lot of city driving.
Do you think the dealer is really using Toyota 0w20 or a bulk synthetic 0w20 which is cheaper? Even a bulk syn. (like Castrol, Sopus, Valvoline etc.. should be good for 10K with those easy miles).

PS: I stopped at a Mazda dealer upstate to price their quart bottles of 0w20. When he said $4.95 a quart... I asked for 5 quarts....he brought out Brad Penn 0w20 full synthetic. I'm sure the BP is an excellent oil but my point is that dealers often substitute for OE to save money.

I do 10K OCIs in all types of conditions. I pay no attention to percent of local driving, time between OCIs, type of engine, or anything else. That's been my deal for 36 years now. Oh! I don't do UOAs either.

Last edited:
I do yearly changes, regardless of miles. I've been doing this since Mobil 1 came out back in the late 1970's. Before I retired back in 2001, this was 18,000 to 20,000 miles per year. Never had a single oil related problem in up to 140,000 miles on my commuter vehicles.

Now, I only drive about 10,000 miles per year. Still, once a year OCI's. My 2005 Pathfinder uses no oil in a 1 year OCI. I am presently using M1 0W40 oil.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I do 10K OCIs in all types of conditions. I pay no attention to percent of local driving, time between OCIs, type of engine, or anything else. That's been my deal for 36 years now. Oh! I don't do UOAs either.

...and not one oil related problem I bet.

My dad owns a '95 Camry. 10k mile oci's using 10w30 of any major brand name API certified oil he can get, never synthetic. That car has 385,000 miles on the odo, never had any oil related issues and he couldnt begin to tell you what a UOA is. He's done this with all his vehicles. None achieved less than 285,000 miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: tig1

...and not one oil related problem I bet.

That's correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back