10k OCI's without UOA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running 10k intervals in everything without a second thought,using good oil of course.
My commute is roughly 70-80 highway miles a day and maybe 30 city miles so in my application 10k is a breeze.

Originally Posted By: pbm

Do you think the dealer is really using Toyota 0w20 or a bulk synthetic 0w20 which is cheaper? Even a bulk syn. (like Castrol, Sopus, Valvoline etc..

I know for sure that the dealer said it was Toyota brand 0w20. They could be lying I guess. We've had the same service advisor for 14 years and never found him to be less than honest, but heck, he might not have any idea what's in the barrel either...

As long as oil level is checked regularly and topped off, 10k is no big deal for a 6 month interval with a full synth 0w20.

Ditto on Toyota's history on sludge, and carbon crudded rings...

The biggest problem is when you run out of oil before the next 10k OCI.

I have been doing 15k (km) OCI's for a while now on my 5.4L F150. Stopped doing UOA's. All conditions. Towing heavy, city, highway, summer and winter. Using PP 5w-20. Just keep it topped up. Maybe uses 1/2 a litre per interval...

Changing from PP to PYB to save some money and go back to 10k (6k miles) intervals. As 15k is too long for me. I get the itch to change it early...

off topic some, but Lexus recommends 10k intervals for my 2015 RX. dont have too much of a problem with that. except im getting the first one done at 5k

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I'm running 10k intervals in everything without a second thought,using good oil of course.

I have been doing this in all my family cars and GF's cars for years. I put over 350,000 miles on my 89 Accord that way - until I wrecked it in 2012. I started doing 10K OCI's with any synthetic that was on sale in the mid 90's. I did them on my GF's 2003 Highlander. Had to change the VC gasket and the upper valve train had no sludge.

IMO, waste of money and resources to run synthetic any less than 10K.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Originally Posted By: Clevy

I have been doing this in all my family cars and GF's cars for years. I put over 350,000 miles on my 89 Accord that way - until I wrecked it in 2012. I started doing 10K OCI's with any synthetic that was on sale in the mid 90's. I did them on my GF's 2003 Highlander. Had to change the VC gasket and the upper valve train had no sludge.

IMO, waste of money and resources to run synthetic any less than 10K.

I couldn't agree more. Unless there is some underlying reason to run a shorter interval I'm done with anything less than 10000 mile intervals.
Today's faux syns are more than capable of running out that kind if interval so it makes absolutely no sense to run a shorter run.
Unless its a sludger or the particular engine demolishes oil of course. I've got hemi's and LS engines. Neither are particularily hard on oil and most of my miles are highway.

Don't even qualify the statement. If conventionals are good for 6,00-7,500 miles then synthetics are good for at least 10K.

It is no longer fluid changes that will determine how long your vehicle will last. MOST people don't end up keeping the thing to the end of its useful life, anyway. In fact, having done that a few times, I will not do it again. My time and sanity is worth more to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back