10k+ Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, who among us (deliberately and routinely) run 9.5k mile or higher OCIs? Plse state oil choice and time duration of OCI.

I've done it on various M1 products (in my and my mother's car) - and am doing it now. OCIs are typically 8 months to one year.

Most people believe all the literature about the benefits of syn oil but for some reason don't believe that is supposed to last longer.

The last two oil changes on my Honda were 10,040 and 9800 miles going by the MM. Castrol Syntec Blend the first time, and regular Syntec the second time.

06 Civic SI, last change had 14,500 miles running AMSOIL SSO 0w30. UOA showed it to be going strong. This one is going to be run for 16,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman
The last two oil changes on my Honda were 10,040 and 9800 miles going by the MM. Castrol Syntec Blend the first time, and regular Syntec the second time.

Correction, that's 10,040 on the factory fill, 9800 on the Syntec Blend, and it has Syntec now.

I didn't add this because it's from a past era - but in the mid-90's I did a 25k mile (one yr - Amsoil 10w40) and some 12 to 20k (one yr) (Amsoil & M1) - all in my Mazda 323 - which I reluctantly sold last summer - still running like a top.

For 31 years I have run M1 oils for 8 to 12,000 mile OCIs with great success. Time period would be 4 to 8 months.

Last OCI for me was about 12,600 on M1EP. I was going to do oil analysis and go further, but the kit did not arrive on time. im sure it would have gone much further on analysis, as the OLM was teling me to change at 12,400, and that is calibrated by GM for dino. As a reference point, i drive roughly 1000 miles a week. When my shipment of Amsoil SSO comes in, I plan to take it all the way to 30k (with analysis).

I have been doing 10K oci with M1 and supertech filter. Recently changed to PP with Pureone filter due to the great info here.

I drive over 500 miles per week 90% highway. A lower oci would mean changing oil all the time!

Never had any issues with M1, but the PP price was too good to pass up.

people who go that long are nuts...even w/ good UOA, I think 4-5k on dino & 5-7500k on syn is about the max I could see being logical.

But then again, I do 4k on dino/blend on one of my vehicles & 3k on M1 on the other...I have HM on one of them...I suppose if I have a brand new vehicle I might consider 7500k on PP if it would go that long without having to top-off

Current and past vehicles have received Mobil 1 oil changes annually, every 20 K miles. Usually using 0W20, and towing considerably over my recommended limit, cars/minvans motors still seem perfect after 250 k miles, no repairs or service of any kind.

I am not sure why people want to buy the best, then change constantly. Why not change your shocks and brakes when they are about 20 percent worn. Heck maybe new tires every 10 k miles.
The new tires could perhaps save your life, I doubt the oil changes could ever do that, and probably does not even do anything for engine life. If the GM oil monitors often recommend 12 k mile or more on dinosaur oil.......
why do people change synthetics every 3-5 K??

Originally Posted By: fsskier
Current and past vehicles have received Mobil 1 oil changes annually, every 20 K miles. Usually using 0W20, and towing considerably over my recommended limit, cars/minvans motors still seem perfect after 250 k miles, no repairs or service of any kind.

I am not sure why people want to buy the best, then change constantly. Why not change your shocks and brakes when they are about 20 percent worn. Heck maybe new tires every 10 k miles.
The new tires could perhaps save your life, I doubt the oil changes could ever do that, and probably does not even do anything for engine life. If the GM oil monitors often recommend 12 k mile or more on dinosaur oil.......
why do people change synthetics every 3-5 K??

Why ask why??? People do what they will because thats what they're comfortable with.

My '00 E430 has 10,xxx-13,xxx miles OCI's with synthetic since April 2000. Yes, it has a large 8.5 quarts sump.

My '94 LS400 has 10-15k miles with synthetic and 6-7k miles with dino, it has more than 240k miles now without any oil related problems.

There are hundreds, if not thousands, of VWs that go 10k regularly with Mobil 1 TDT. Diesels and gassers. Their stories are on vortex and tdiclub.

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
There are hundreds, if not thousands, of VWs that go 10k regularly with Mobil 1 TDT. Diesels and gassers. Their stories are on vortex and tdiclub.

Well with a huge sump I suppose I could see that...but on an avg 10yr old 100k SUV, I just don't see how any synthetic (much less dino!)Wal-mart shelf oil can last that long...if I tried that, my vehicle would be 4qts low on a 5qt pan :)

the car: 2005 cadillac cts 3.6l vvt non-di.
oci: between 10k and 13k miles (I follow the OLM)
mileage on the odometer: 103k miles
time between oil change: approx. 3, 4 months to 5 max.
type of oil: M1 5w30 gm4718m spec or right now M1 10w30 gmspec4818m.

I'm currently 7,000 miles into my first 10,000 mile + oci. 2007 Nissan X-terra with V-6. Using Amsoil ASL 5W30 w/ EaO oil filter and air filter. Going to pull a UOA when it reaches 10,000+ and see how the oil is doing and then decide (or let all you BITOGers decide) whether or not to change it out or go further.

Originally Posted By: FastSUV
Originally Posted By: ChiTDI

Well with a huge sump I suppose I could see that...but on an avg 10yr old 100k SUV, I just don't see how any synthetic (much less dino!)Wal-mart shelf oil can last that long...if I tried that, my vehicle would be 4qts low on a 5qt pan :)

I've been going 10,000 mile OCIs for 31 years with 5 QT. pans and have no problems at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back