10k / 1 yr. oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I've got an '02 Z28 with 24k mi. I've been running M1 10w30. I'm currently in the rinse phase (MC 15w40) of Auto-RX. I want to start doing 10k / 1 yr. OCI's. I live in Louisiana (temp ranges from upper 20's to upper 90's), drive 10k miles per year with a 50/50 city/highway mix, enjoy the occasional (okay, pretty often) bounce off the rev limiter, and will make a handful of 1/4 mi. passes during the year. The big question...what oil? I use FP and LC and will get a UOA at the halfway point. Thanks.

Ot maybe a mix of 10W-30 and 15W-50 Mobil 1 Say a 25% mix of the 15W. I would also change filters at 6 months.

I do not understand why your engine became sludged up enough to require an Auto-RX treatment at 24K miles if you were using Mobil 1, or really, any decent oil with a reasonable change interval.

I have used Mobil 1 with a 1 year change interval for many years, in the past. I used it in a Ford Thunderbird with the 3.8 V-6. I averaged 20,000 miles a year and changed the oil every January. I changed the filter again at about the midyear point, and the engine always used about a quart of oil every 4 to 6 thousand miles. When I traded it after 7 years, it had almost 150,000 miles and still ran very quietly. I have followed the instructions in my car manuals and have never used any oil additives.

1999Nick - You are a wise man.

If my engine were sludged up at 24,000 miles while using Mobil 1 (and with some oil change interval less than 10,000 miles) I would be searching for the cause because there is some serious problem.

Most any 10w30 synthetic (big boy or boutique) will run 10,000 miles between changes. Doing an oil analysis at 5,000 miles is good insurance.

If you are going to do an oil analysis at 5,000 miles for every oil change cycle then forget it and just change the oil at 5,000 miles and save money.

I would highly recommed GC. It does extremely well with Lube Control and Fuel Power. I use it in my 02 Camaro SS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back