100LL AVGAS to be phased out in 2010!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gannet167
a typical new engine in a light, general aviation aircraft is really from a 1930's design and engineering mentality. They're huge displacement engines making low amounts of power. Compared to the amazing advances in automotive engines and turbine engines, the piston aircraft world has a long, long way to come to even reach 1970's technology.

the future may be with these diesel conversions.

Aviation piston engines achieve better BSFC numbers than many "Modern" engines, including diesels. 0.38 Lb/HP/Hr is a typical number for a modern Lycoming in cruise configuration. The Toyota Prius engine cannot achieve these numbers.

Low RPM, lower piston ring swept area numbers, large displacement and air cooling all contribute to excellent BSFC numbers. Couple the design advantages of "aircraft" engines with some modern technology such as electronic controls and efficiency numbers improve even more. It is not uncommon to see 200 to 320 cubic inch engines achieving more than 40 miles per gallon at speeds over 200MPH. Let's see your "modern" car do that!

To install an engine with "modern" technology would result in a loss of range, in most cases. Consider a typical Honda 4 valve, double overhead cam, high RPM engine as an example. The RPM required to achieve the power required results in a very high piston ring swept area number. (for those who don't know, this is the single most important number with regard to BSFC). The little Honda might have to be at 4500RPM to achieve a "cruise" HP of 100. Where as a Lycoming 0-235 might be at 2300RPM. The Lyc also looses less combustion heat to the "cooling system" and therefore converts more "fuel to HP". The Lycoming also has only 8 valves and 6 cam lobes, The Honda, 16 valves and 16 cam lobes. The Lyc also is direct drive, no gearbox necessary, no gearbox losses or failures.

I really get on my soapbox with regard to this subject, but the "OLD" engineers that designed aircraft engines really knew what they were doing. It wasn't luck! BTW, my grandfather was one of those engineers! I still have many of his books, they are a real eye opener. There is so much lost knowledge, I don't even know where to begin. Not long ago, I forwarded the info one of his books on crankshafts to help solve a problem for a major manufacturer.

Chris

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jimbo
The only ones that really need it are the high performance turbocharged engines. However, a lot of low performance aircraft were certified on 100/130 or 100LL. The real old ones were certified for 80/87 that is no longer made. Each one needs an STC to run on auto gas. Try and buy straight unleaded auto gas with no ethanol in California, so we are still stuck using leaded avgas in planes that dont really need it.

wrong. the aircraft that need leaded fuel are aircraft that use high compression pistons (or turbocharging). there are a whole list of engines that use 10:1 pistons and are normally aspirated. one large example of these are the lycoming angle valve IO-360 series and the IO-540 (along with the somewhat rarer IO-720). your average PA28-200R has nothing to do with turbocharging, but does require 100LL.

it is a very small (and growing smaller) fleet, and the 100LL usage is alot less damaging than coal fired power plants. however, it is an easy target (rich people flying around in their own airplanes). you can buy Mogas (or 87UL) at some airports, but it requires another tankage complex plus pump. not normally economically viable.

cujet, you are exactly right. as far as the engine itself goes, there are only two places that i would like to see more work done.

1) metallurgy
there are new metals and alloys that could help the rings especially. i fault lycoming and continental for not moving faster here. but, it is a low volume product, and they ran for a long time without competition.

2) electronic engine controls
best thing i have seen here is GAMI's system, but there should be more work done here. electronic controls can do wonders with bad engines, they should be able to do miracles with good basic engines like aircraft. we have had electronic fuel injection since the mid 1970s, so we should be able to build one with an acceptable failure rate in aviation (carbs fail too ya know).

Originally Posted By: cheetahdriver
cujet, you are exactly right. as far as the engine itself goes, there are only two places that i would like to see more work done.

1) metallurgy
there are new metals and alloys that could help the rings especially. i fault lycoming and continental for not moving faster here. but, it is a low volume product, and they ran for a long time without competition.

2) electronic engine controls
best thing i have seen here is GAMI's system, but there should be more work done here. electronic controls can do wonders with bad engines, they should be able to do miracles with good basic engines like aircraft. we have had electronic fuel injection since the mid 1970s, so we should be able to build one with an acceptable failure rate in aviation (carbs fail too ya know).

Didn't the Germans have fuel injection in WW2 on the Bf109?

Originally Posted By: Tremo

Didn't the Germans have fuel injection in WW2 on the Bf109?

yes, they did. mechanical fuel injection systems, which are nearly identical to the fuel injection on my IO360. some of the early corvettes had a mechanical fuel injection system as well. automotive mechanical fuel injection systems bit the dirt when electronic systems came out, which use sensors (temp, Oxy, throttle, etc) to control the engine as opposed to the mechanical which run like an electronic system in open loop (limp home mode), but not as well.

electronic engine control units for aircraft would get rid of most of the 100LL problems, especially if they used a PRISM system like GAMI is working on. until then...

Originally Posted By: Gannet167

Someone should just make a small, cheap turbine replacement for pistons.

They make conversion kits for LSX motors.

An article on avweb talked about the upcoming change in aviation fuels. On youtube there is a video that talks about the new aviation fuel for 2011. The new fuel is Cost Effective!, keep that in mind, there were a handful of fuels that were developed but were rumored to cost $8.00 or more a gallon(Ouch). The new fuel actually has more energy, but weighs slightly more, that the old leaded fuel. Now keep in mind the reason that general aviation has such dated standards are, The government, And the FAA. The grueling regulation process is ridiculous and expensive.

Something else to "chew" on.

Air cooled engines run hotter, with typical cylinder head temps between 300 and 400 degrees F.

The temperature differential between 350 deg F and outside air is FAR GREATER than that of a liquid cooled engine, with radiator temps of 200 deg F.

This means LESS air is required to cool an air cooled engine.

Resulting in substantially less cooling drag, and better airframe aerodynamic efficiency.

I know, it seems counter-intuitive, but it is really so. (proper cowling and baffles required).

If 100LL is eliminated, won't this permanently ground all the guys still flying big radials? Like all Super Connies and DC7s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back