1000000 MILES ON A CHEVY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The owner's comment that there was good luck is an important point. Not having an accident for a million miles is a good job on his part. Good driving habits may just be more important than the oil used or the maintenance plan followed.

Let's see....that's 7083.3 miles per month, that's 1771 miles per week, so he changed his oil every 12 days? You think he'd benefit from extended OCI's????

Quote:
The truck has had four radiators, three gas tanks, five transmissions and six water pumps, but the engine has never been overhauled, Oresnik said.

This is an interesting story, but it sort of makes you wonder about the economics involved. While it's impressive to see that you can make a vehicle go that long, given the actual value of a vehicle of this age and miles, and the cited repairs, I'd expect it would have made more sense to buy another used truck long, long ago.
=======================================================

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Let's see....that's 7083.3 miles per month, that's 1771 miles per week, so he changed his oil every 12 days? You think he'd benefit from extended OCI's????

Yeah, that makes me a little suspicious. Going in for and getting an oil change this often would seem to be something that would get mentioned in such a story. Yet it is not. Makes me think that this might not be what it really seems. . .

It lists the place where it is claimed the oil changes were done. I don't know how many of the 330+ were done there, but good advertising for them nonetheless.

Remember, most folks won't pull out a calculator or even do a rough order estimate in their head for such things. The news tells them everything they need to know about every story. They don't have to think any further.

what's the point of this?

if you throw enough money at it, anything will go to a million miles.

Originally Posted By: berge
what's the point of this?

if you throw enough money at it, anything will go to a million miles.

Which sort of suggests what I suggested above -- is it really worth it? When I was still flying in the Marines, we had jets that had been reworked many times over since they were first built in the early 70s. We had a few that were literally brand new. Other than how beat up some of the hardware in the cockpit looked, you couldn't tell how old one jet was (well, the Bureau numbers on the tails are a big clue too...). Point: these aircraft are each worth well over $70 million a copy, and they're not building any more of them, so it's clearly worth flying them almost forever. Not so with cars and trucks. When a car or truck is old enough to need a third transmission, it's time to get out the pencil and calculator and decide whether scrapping the thing is the better option.

Quote:
The truck has had four radiators, three gas tanks, five transmissions and six water pumps,

I wonder if he did anything else besides change the oil? The E250 listed earlier did a million with the same transmission and water pump. With the amount of miles he should of been able to do the same.

Well, that might be true with cars, especially smaller cars. You can put a dime into a vehicle and it isnt worth a nickle more. I recently did this with my last truck, I had it 12 years and never had a lick of trouble until it went over 100,000 miles(First vehicle, I ever kept over that) then all this "stuff" went, cam position sensor, egr, cat converter, some other sensor, fuel tank straps, u joints, etc... about $3,000 in a year, but not all at once, but one after the other just the same, a slow bleed. Although it never let me down, it did on my wife, three times in a row, which was not good for my marridge. Nothing she could have possibly caused, the truck hated her, I guess. Anyway, after the last repair, I traded it while it was running good with no problems, it was still a sharp truck. I bought a eqivilent replacement, bigger cab, but basically the same truck, just 12 years newer, but to the tune of $35,000+, now if you think about that, how much money could you put in a truck, 12 years old before you put 35k in it. Kinda makes sense to keep and repair a pickup, the trade in would be awful, so to dump it after 200,000 miles is a total loss,so if you look at it that way, repairs although agrevating are cheaper then payments, not to mention insurance.

The "good" think about keeping a vehicle in your inventory is that you usually know what you did to it the last time. Costs become recognized. As in it needs calipers when the pads are changed, replacement axles usually needed at 200k, and so on. Learning a "new" vehicle, or figuring out someone else lack of figuring out a vehicle, can be kind of hard and expensive, along with down time.

Why would you not keep a car for 1 million miles if it will get there. $20,000 to $40,000 buys a lot of waterpumps, brake jobs, tires etc. The economics of a used car are always superior (assumining you are talking about an already roadworthy car). The advantage of a new car is obviously it is shiny new, the latest in fashon, has new car reliability and a warranty that isolates you from cost if it has trouble. Although buying a used car has good bang for your buck, when you buy a used car you dont know what you are getting unless you know the previous owner. With the mileage this guy is putting on he could easily buy a new-used car every year but he could be buying a lemon and inviting more trouble than keeping what he had. He knows the reliability of what he has and he is obviously taking decent care of it to go 1 million miles.

Economical or not, if he just replaced the truck like anyone else might have, he wouldn't be in the news and no one would be talking about it.

Enough said.

I don't know about where he lives but in Indiana the plates for a new vehicle will cost far more than what it would cost for maintenance
You can buy a 350 crate motor for the price of a plate for a new pickup.
All the talk about his decision to keep it diverts you away from the real story.
1 million miles without opening the engine.
That is remarkable achievement.

Well, you would have to know Frank as I have for the past 10 years. I know this truck and the owner Frank. The lube center where he gets his truck serviced was a customer of mine. The oil Frank used was Pennzoil 10W30. This is not just a casual truck. This truck has a small refrigeration box on the back, and Frank goes down to Chicago every week and picks up fish. He then delivers this fish all over northern Wisconsin at small mom and pop cafes. So this truck gets a workout. As for as him getting rid of it long ago, well as I said, you would just have to know him. He probably has the first dollar he ever made. One heck of a nice guy that would give you the shirt off his back. As I said, I know the owner and I've seen the truck, and the engine has never been apart, not even a valve cover has been removed.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Well, you would have to know Frank as I have for the past 10 years. I know this truck and the owner Frank. The lube center where he gets his truck serviced was a customer of mine. The oil Frank used was Pennzoil 10W30. This is not just a casual truck. This truck has a small refrigeration box on the back, and Frank goes down to Chicago every week and picks up fish. He then delivers this fish all over northern Wisconsin at small mom and pop cafes. So this truck gets a workout. As for as him getting rid of it long ago, well as I said, you would just have to know him. He probably has the first dollar he ever made. One heck of a nice guy that would give you the shirt off his back. As I said, I know the owner and I've seen the truck, and the engine has never been apart, not even a valve cover has been removed.

Cool. How about some pictures, do you have any? Opening up the valve cover at the million mark would be cool. If it is done, pics please.
thanks

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Black Bart
I don't know about where he lives but in Indiana the plates for a new vehicle will cost far more than what it would cost for maintenance

In Virginia we have the personal property tax where you pay a yearly tax based on the blue-book value of your vehicle. This can be $400 a year or more on a new vehicle. An older vehicle may only be $50 a year.

he could saved a ton of money by doing extended oil changes and doing it himself. oil change every two months with synthetic.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
Originally Posted By: Black Bart

In Virginia we have the personal property tax where you pay a yearly tax based on the blue-book value of your vehicle. This can be $400 a year or more on a new vehicle. An older vehicle may only be $50 a year.

A personal property tax on your vehicles??!! That really stinks, I feel for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back