100% Paraffinic Base Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sprintman, it just means straight chain hydrocarbons. No double or triple bonds, no aromatics.

Supposed to be pretty stable, thus their popularity on advertising quite a few years ago.

Paraffinic base oils comprise Groups I-III and are often used because they are more thermally and oxidatively stable than their cousins the napthenics.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
Paraffinic base oils comprise Groups I-III and are often used because they are more thermally and oxidatively stable than their cousins the napthenics.

'Kule,

I thought their cousins were the O'Malley's.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
Does that mean Group I?

As previous stated by MolaKule, paraffinics are present in Groups I - III. Group IIIs contain the highest percentage of iso-paraffins (very desirable) courtesy of severe hydro-processing having catalytically processed the lion's share of residual, undesirable, normal paraffinics, waxes, naphthenics, and aromatics to iso-paraffinics. (This gets to the heart of why Castrol prevailed in its squabble with Exxon/Mobil over the use of the term, "synthetic".) Of the three listed groupings, Group I has the highest percentage of undesirable molecules. When you see catch phrases such as Pennzy's "Pure Base" or ChevronTexaaco's "ISOSYN", I imagine the odds are pretty good that the marketing department's babble indicates use of Group II and/or Group II+ base stocks. (A "semi-synthetic"? No, let's not go there...)

[ October 25, 2003, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back