$100 oil change...???

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the last few months the number of news articles talking about $100 a barrel of oil have been increasing. This got me to thinking, when are we going to see the $100 oil change.

I realize a large majority of members here are the DIY type, so this may never happen to them. What about the ones who have to rely on the quik lube or the auto shops? Plus some people insist on synthetics and other boutique or hard to get european oils.

When will we see the $100 oil change? You know we could be one base oil refinery shutdown away from the next "motor oil" shock. Maybe Iran will use "motor oil" as a weapon? What if the Chinese are just willing to pay more for "motor oil" then we are? Maybe the API will dream up the SN "motor oil" which will require a mix of groupiii oil to meet spec?

We are we just a few years away from the $100 oil change? Or could it happen tomorrow?

shocked.gif
lol.gif
rolleyes.gif
lol.gif
dunno.gif

cheers.gif

We've been there. My 06 Mercedes takes 8 quarts of Mobil 1 0w-40 @ $8.00 a quart (dealer price) and the filter (special fleece)lists for about $30 at the dealer; figure in labor charges at $80 an hour and you're there. Of course the oil and filter can be purchased for less elsewhere, and it is an easy oil change with the cartridge filter on top of the engine, but if I went to the dealer for the change it's an easy $100. Of course they'll wash the car for me FREE.

if crude oil soon ever got to the point where it cause conventional motor oil to cost $100 a change, you'd have much, much bigger problems in every aspect of your day to day life than your expensive oil change.

Outersquare is right: I can get generic motor oil at $6/gallon (enough for my car) and gas was recently $3/gallon. So with $20 in labor oil cost would be $80/gallon... so fuel would be $40/gallon and we'd be well past the riots.

My oil changes are already about $50-70, depending on sump capacity, with premium synthetic and an Ea oil filter. But the upside is I only average about 1.5 per year on each vehicle. If it ever got to the $100 per change extreme, you'd see a lot of people extending those intervals.

$34 from my local garage. $24 for the M1 10W30 a Mann filter and washer I supply and $10 labor plus they dispose of the old oil.

My buddies Porsche dealer quoted him $142 to change the oil in his Boxter.

We ramped it up ourself, got the cartridge filter from NAPA. Got 10 quarts of Amsoil 5/40 for about $6.50 each. So we did it for $70 dollars and had a half quart left to boot.

Big deal.

How would you like to live with the $100 fill up?

There's guys who have to suffer through that fleecing every week. I see at least a couple of "triple digit" sales on the pumps every time I swing by the station around the corner.

quote:

Originally posted by cfromc:
Off-topic

Wait until your buddy needs a "brake job"...My wife used to be a service manager at a multi-line dealership (they had several service managers) she was talking with the Porche SM about a customer who brought his car in for brakes. They sold him "CPR" (calipers-pads-rotors). The Porche was there for nearly a month because they were waiting for the Brembo calipers. If I recall, the total was over $2,000. Pads-a couple hundred, rotors, I think $300-400 and calipers, about $600. Not 100% sure of the costs of each but I remember it being over $2K and over 3 weeks. Unbelieveable. I sure that was the full-boat most expensive/fastest model, but still.

Why on earth did they replace his Brembo calipers? No reason to do that for any sort of brake job unless (for some odd reason) the calipers were defective. With that said, hi-performance brake pads and rotors aren't cheap.

Just change your own oil for half the price and use a much better oil that what the dealer uses. Anyone who pays big dollars to have a dealer change their oil shouldnt complain.

I have to deal with $90-95 fill-ups although a couple of days ago it was "only" $83 since gas has gone below $3 in my area.

I don't know why the dealer replaced the calipers, either a slick salesman or just because some of their customers are on repair/maintain mega-overkill. It's located in a very affluent area.

quote:

Of course they'll wash the car for me FREE

They also washed that SUV covered in mud with the same broom they washed your car with.
lol.gif

The Cadi dealer washed my car back in June and it took them 6 hrs in the body shop to buff out the scratche's they put into the clear coat. They had high school kids washing cars that week and they messed up some of cars. The tech in the detail shop said I was the 3rd person to complain about it.

quote:

Originally posted by MC5W20:
In the last few months the number of news articles talking about $100 a barrel of oil have been increasing. This got me to thinking, when are we going to see the $100 oil change.

DIY here.
Filter (OEM $36, I got 5 on ebay new in box for $100, so we'll say $25.)
Crush washer $3.

Oils
Mobil 1 0W-40 7.4 litres $118.40
Delvac1 5W-40 7.4 litres $ 88.80
Magnatec 5W-40 7.4 litres $59.20

I'm using the latter, so $87.20. total, although have used the 0W-40 before.

I had my Civic in for stuff to a local shop and they let me use my own oil (PP 5w-20) and Wix filter and they still charged me $32. But they did a boatload of other work; see the post in Maintenance forum.

Off-topic

Wait until your buddy needs a "brake job"...My wife used to be a service manager at a multi-line dealership (they had several service managers) she was talking with the Porche SM about a customer who brought his car in for brakes. They sold him "CPR" (calipers-pads-rotors). The Porche was there for nearly a month because they were waiting for the Brembo calipers. If I recall, the total was over $2,000. Pads-a couple hundred, rotors, I think $300-400 and calipers, about $600. Not 100% sure of the costs of each but I remember it being over $2K and over 3 weeks. Unbelieveable. I sure that was the full-boat most expensive/fastest model, but still.

quote:

Originally posted by cfromc:
My oil changes are already about $50-70, depending on sump capacity, with premium synthetic and an Ea oil filter. But the upside is I only average about 1.5 per year on each vehicle. If it ever got to the $100 per change extreme, you'd see a lot of people extending those intervals.

That could be one reason longer change intervals are so popular in Europe. Higher priced oil and filters and fewer people with DIY facilities at home.

A Corvette oil change can easily run $80 at big city stealership. There is nothing hard about changing oil on them. A common spin on oil filter and 5.5 qts of synthetic + Corvette tax.

My friend's BMW dealer charges him $100 plus to change his oil. He immediately accepted my offer to change his oil for the cost of the oil + filter @ $40.
tongue.gif
My own oil changes go for $30 (GC + filter).

If you went with Supertec full synthetic $12 for 5 quarts and a $3 filter = $15 for an oil change...
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back