100% Commission??

I worked in Industrial sales at 100% commission for the most part of my career. Made great money-retired at 55 years of age. I can tell you that if you start making great money (over $100,000.00) employers have a tendency to "change the plan" and it won't be to your advantage. Something else to think about.
+2. The second that happens, dump that dealer and walk across the street to another. Keep your own set of books to show future employers how valuable you are at growing sales, and to audit the current dealer in case they start getting slimy. Obviously the dealer will consider this proprietary data and may make you sign a NDA, so be subtle about it.

"Getting slimy" might mean instead of you getting your standard rate for an oil change, you'll get a ripoff one because it's their loss leader. They will market it to you as well as the customers.

I worked in TV (engineering) and we had an endless rotation of salespeople. They weren't treated well and the good ones would "steal" clients and go to the VHF station across town. If you're good, get results, and they screw you, throw your loyalty in the trash and move to a higher bidder. You may even want to keep a personal list of contact info for the "whales" (really good clients) and if you leave, you can call them and tell them where you've moved to and the mechanics are great and you service all makes and models.

Last edited:
There was a Chevy dealer that had an ad wanting a salesperson a few years ago. The ad stated if you cant make at least 100K a year, we don't want you and claimed the average sales person earned that. The dealer was Jack Maxton Chevrolet. The dealer was bought by actor Mark Wahlberg who has a few other GM dealers in central Ohio.

Perhaps the employer is trying to reward you, a performer, without having the all other....
Their proposal is a win-win for them. It might be beneficial to the OP but not guaranteed.... If they were fair, honest, and wanted to reward her, they could maintain her hourly pay and increase her commission rate slightly. That higher % can motivate her to upsell more but with no risk.

Along these lines, isn't this how mechanics are often paid now ? They get paid by the cost of the work they do, not an hourly wage ?

I would not like straight commission in something like recommending vehicle service. You either short yourself being honest or you go down a slippery ethical slope of pushing things that may not be 100% needed and are overpriced at a dealership.

Back