10 most expensive car repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lousey article, typical MSNBC media drive buy article.

Author is clueless about cars!

lol.gif
hooked.gif

For the target audience of assumed clueless on car ownership it helps open the eyes of folks to do maintenance and hopefully not ignore problems.

I need one cylinder replaced please. I am very afraid of cylinder failure.
lol.gif

Quote:
When a catalytic converter fails, it's pricey: Repairs can cost up to $2,692

I did the math. I came up with "can cost up to $2,691.68" Typical media bias.

Originally Posted By: VNTS

"Claire Martin has written for The New York Times, Los Angeles Times, and Outside magazine. She's the former deputy editor of Men's Journal and currently lives in Los Angeles, where she covers technology, travel and food."

Last edited:
replacing a cylinder? uhhmmmm right. and HOW MUCH FOR A CAT???? i paid 160 for mine hmmmmmm man o man did i get a bargain. jeeez. and im surprised ac wasnt on there. since ac is pretty pricey . owell i remember now why i watch fox!

Just a note: Microsoft bailed on them, no more M.

Major media is clueless on several topics!

chevyboy, they are moving towards integrating the cat into the exhaust manifold. This raises the price. Throw in labor charge at the dealer, and the price can be quite high.

When the exhaust manifold cracked on our Civic it was over $1k to replace, mostly because the cat was in it. Brilliant!

Explains the quality (or lack of) of her work

Originally Posted By: SaturnIonVue

"Claire Martin has written for The New York Times, Los Angeles Times, and Outside magazine. She's the former deputy editor of Men's Journal and currently lives in Los Angeles, where she covers technology, travel and food."

Originally Posted By: supton
chevyboy, they are moving towards integrating the cat into the exhaust manifold. This raises the price. Throw in labor charge at the dealer, and the price can be quite high.

When the exhaust manifold cracked on our Civic it was over $1k to replace, mostly because the cat was in it. Brilliant!

To replace the turbo in my Cruze needs the whole exhaust manifold replaced. And if the turbo took a dump, likely the cat needs to be replaced since it's immediately after the turbo, and is now oil-soaked. Don't forget to drain the cooling system and give it an oil change while doing that since the turbo is both water and oil-cooled. Great for slapping it together in the factory, not so great to service.

Things like this are common, and only getting more so.

Now, what about electric cars? Those have many fewer moving components, and should in theory be easier to service than IC cars.

Key to my 1993 corolla costs only a dollar fifty to replicate at Home Depot. Key to my 2011 Prius who knows? Maybe two to five hundred at the dealer? It seems that cost and complexity are always going up.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Originally Posted By: supton

To replace the turbo in my Cruze needs the whole exhaust manifold replaced. And if the turbo took a dump, likely the cat needs to be replaced since it's immediately after the turbo, and is now oil-soaked. Don't forget to drain the cooling system and give it an oil change while doing that since the turbo is both water and oil-cooled. Great for slapping it together in the factory, not so great to service.

Things like this are common, and only getting more so.

Now, what about electric cars? Those have many fewer moving components, and should in theory be easier to service than IC cars.

While everyone loves to bash the mfgrs for the few cars that do have catastrophic repairs the overwhelming majority of them last longer than ever. Warranties are longer than ever, too.

So the fact that parts are being integrated more closely yielding better performance, longevity, and cheaper costs is now a bad thing?

I remember when 100k miles was a real milestone and was usually celebrated. Nowadays it's quite ordinary for cars to last far longer.

i think it is down right insane to make all these stupid cars with these stupid costly parts. we all know the more [censored] involved means the more opportunity for something to break. cats integrated and turbos all hopped up and i dont think these new cars will be as reliable as cars ten years ago . to much [censored] to go wrong. and 2k for a cat is nuts no matter how you slice it. i will be enjoying my saturn for a long time to come atleast its not stupid and all jacked up on fancy expensive mojo.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
When was the last time anyone needed, or even heard of someone else needing their torque converter replaced?

Early Audi Allroads were notorious for failed torque convertors.

BC.

what utter garbage.

"Replace Cylinder Head Assembly and Spark Plugs

Spark-plug trouble usually causes misfires in your engine, which if neglected can also heat up the cylinder. How will you know if your engine is susceptible? A flashing check-engine light. "When it's flashing, that's a misfire, and you're doing mechanical damage to your vehicle if you keep driving it," Jacobsen says. The damage is usually to the catalytic converter or the cylinder, the replacement for which costs about $3,500. "You need to get it addressed," Jacobsen says. And look after it immediately. "It's not a question of if but when you'll do damage to your car," he says. "

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I need one cylinder replaced please. I am very afraid of cylinder failure.
lol.gif

I've read that it's not that uncommon in older tractors to be able to replace cylinder liners... Maybe the author's Granddad had a '32 international harvester pickup that cracked a liner and it was over $6 to replace!
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back