'10 Honda Element, Castrol Syntec 0W-20(*), 7459mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Folks:

Our bought new 2010 Honda Element SC. Unit is nearing 70K miles. 5,000 mile OCIs since new, Honda Filtech oil filters, Honda OEM air filters. FF changed at 500 miles, then again at 1,500. At 5,000 miles the regular 5K OCIs began. I mention this because of all the controversy regarding early drain of FF. In my case, it obviously caused no harm whatsoever. I drain FF early on ALL my cars.

It's often used for horrible overnight cold startup, short drives of 1.5 miles (EEECK!), but it's mostly used as an errand runner of approximately 10 miles per trip. Two or three times a month it makes a 350 mile round trip at sustained highway speeds approaching 85mph.

Oil is a blend of two Castrol Syntecs (black bottle); 3.75 quarts 0W-20 + 1 quart 0W-30 German Castrol, hence the (*) in subject line. This is the blend I have used since new. Summer daytime can highs can reach 115F, winter morning lows can drop to 10F. Vehicle uses ZERO oil between OCIs.

For this latest sample I increased the OCI to 7,500 miles compared to the 5,000 miles previously used. The longer OCI was the motivation to have an oil analysis done again so soon after the previous one. Surprisingly, to me at least, nothing much changed.

Despite all the Castrol bashing on this forum it looks like it's working well for me.

Comments welcome.

Scott

Code:
Oil Castrol Syntec Castrol Syntec Universal Averages

Miles in Use 7,459 5,134 Based on 6,700

Miles 64,494 57,035

Sample Taken 12Dec13 25Jul13

Aluminum 4 4 4

Chromium 0 0 0

Iron 6 5 9

Copper 1 1 3

Lead 0 1 1

Tin 0 0 1

Moly 54 63 77

Nickel 1 1 0

Manganese 1 0 1

Silver 0 0 0

Titanium 0 0 1

Potassium 1 1 3

Boron 28 37 48

Silicon 9 8 13

Sodium 5 4 46

Calcium 1106 1270 2178

Magnesium 1135 1222 141

Phosphorus 722 785 691

Zinc 848 948 815

Barium 0 0 0

SUS Visc @ 210*F 56.2 57.1 46-57

cST Visc @ 100*C 9.13 9.38 6.0-9.7

Flashpoint (*F) 405 410 >385

Fuel (%)
Antifreeze (%) 0 0 0

Water (%) 0 0
Insolubles (%) TR 0.1
TBN 4.9 4.2 >1.0

Blackstone comments (7459 mile sample):

To be honest, we could have just kept the comments from the previous sample as they apply here too. Not that we'd do that, but it's nice to know that this engine is making metal at a very low and steady pace. You even went longer this time and nothing really changed. Iron went up 1 ppm, but that metal tracks with miles on the oil so a mild increase is expected. Low insolubles and silicon show good oil and air filtration, and no fuel or coolant is present. The TBN read 4.9 showing more than enough active additive left. Doing well at 64,494 miles.

Blackstone comments (5134 mile sample):

Honda makes some very nicely wearing engines, and this first sample from your Element's 2.4L is no exception. Metals are nice and low compared to averages, which are based on about 6,700 miles on the oil for this type of engine. Your iron is well below average, so steel parts are wearing exceptionally well. No fuel dilution was found, and no moisture or coolant was present either. The TBN read 4.2, showing plenty of active additive remaining in the oil for a longer run, if you're ever interested. For now, this interval seems great. Nice report.

Excellent report. Thanks for posting. The tbn is solid for 7500 miles. I'll have a report on my k24 in a few weeks running PU 5w-20. Should have north of 8k on the oil by the time it is sampled.

Originally Posted By: k24a4
Excellent report. Thanks for posting. The tbn is solid for 7500 miles. I'll have a report on my k24 in a few weeks running PU 5w-20. Should have north of 8k on the oil by the time it is sampled.

I'll look forward to your report. I'm curious to see how the PU works out.

FWIW, the main reason I use Castrol in the Honda is because I really like German Castrol. I'm not big onto blending, but I think mixing Syntecs is more of a slam dunk compatibility-wise then mixing different brands.

Although off topic, both my BMW and MB seem to run very well on German Castrol. I've tried other oils, including M1 0W-40, PU 5W-40, and Redline 5W-30. Both the BMW and MB seem freer revving and more responsive with GC. I tried Pentospeed 0W-30 in the MB and I got valve ticking noises when doing overnight cold starts. Go figure! Hence the Syntec black bottle stock in my garage.

Scott

Very nice results on both samples. The insolubles are excellent and the TBN leaves you lots of room for much longer runs if you should choose to do so.

No castrol bashing from me...their HDEO's were top notch when I used them a few years ago. Thanks for posting!

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town

FWIW, the main reason I use Castrol in the Honda is because I really like German Castrol. I'm not big onto blending, but I think mixing Syntecs is more of a slam dunk compatibility-wise then mixing different brands.

Although off topic, both my BMW and MB seem to run very well on German Castrol. I've tried other oils, including M1 0W-40, PU 5W-40, and Redline 5W-30. Both the BMW and MB seem freer revving and more responsive with GC. I tried Pentospeed 0W-30 in the MB and I got valve ticking noises when doing overnight cold starts. Go figure! Hence the Syntec black bottle stock in my garage.

Scott

What year is your 330Ci? Do you have the N52 engine?

Looks great! Syntec black bottle will be my oil for life as long as I can always find it. Smoothest running oil I've ever used in my car.

Originally Posted By: kjbock

Scott

It's a 2003 and has an M54 in it. I special ordered the car from the factory because I didn't want a sunroof. Since taking delivery not a single hand but mine has touched it mechanically. I do everything. It's is tastefully modded (I'm 60 years old) and I've done all that work, plus maintenance, etc. That said, the car has been 100% FLAWLESS. I have not had a single problem of any type, the only exception being the felt covering on right side rubber door opening seal became detached.

Scott

Originally Posted By: kjbock

Scott

It's a 2003 and has an M54 in it. I special ordered the car from the factory because I didn't want a sunroof. Since taking delivery not a single hand but mine has touched it mechanically. I do everything. It's is tastefully modded (I'm 60 years old) and I've done all that work, plus maintenance, etc. That said, the car has been 100% FLAWLESS. I have not had a single problem of any type, the only exception being the felt covering on right side rubber door opening seal became detached.

Scott

Thanks. I hope my 128i wears just as well (also custom ordered to get no sunroof, plus I wanted the red leather). I will do a lot of the work myself, but will still need the dealer/indy shop to do some of the bigger maintenance.

Like you, I plan on using GC for my car, though I have the N52, instead of the M54.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back