'10 Genesis Coupe V6, Edge EP 5w20, 8392 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
2_zps3bd0925d.jpg

2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8 V6 w/105k miles on the engine. Castrol Edge Extended Performance 5w20 for this sample with an OEM oil filter. Every time the engine was warm it saw high RPM operation close to the redline. Plenty of spirited driving ranging from hot to cold environments. Vehicle has aftermarket cold air intake and exhaust with an ECU tune. Manual specs 5w20 for energy (fuel) conservation and up to 5w40 for greater protection during severe operation. I wanted to show that a 5w20 was more than adequate for this engine. Apparently I used the Edge with titanium and didn't realize it, there are no titanium wear components in this type of engine to my knowledge, and no supporting evidence of unusual wear.

For comparison, here is the report before this one with standard Mobil 1 5w20 (non-EP version) and an OEM filter.
analysis_zps87a35b3a.jpg

Those Castrol numbers look really good after taking into account it was in-service for ~1700 miles longer than the M1 (which also looks good btw). Thanks for sharing...

Not a fan of 5w20 in the Hyundai/KIA's myself. You are using great oils but I'd bet that aluminum would drop notably on a 30 grade. JMO.

I had similar Al numbers myself on 5w20 and have switched to Castrol SynBlend dexos 5w30, will be doing a UOA to see myself but have seen it in other UOA's.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Not a fan of 5w20 in the Hyundai/KIA's myself. You are using great oils but I'd bet that aluminum would drop notably on a 30 grade. JMO.

I had similar Al numbers myself on 5w20 and have switched to Castrol SynBlend dexos 5w30, will be doing a UOA to see myself but have seen it in other UOA's.

Honestly, 12ppm isn't really a significant amount seeing as most of the engine is made of aluminum. I may try a 5w30 after I run through all of the 5w20's I would like to test and see how the numbers compare.

ppm wear per 1k is great. Never just look at wear numbers without figuring in the miles. What oils do you plan on running in the future?

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

Really? I find those wear numbers to look great. I would think that anything less, at that oci, would be statistical noise. Although i have no doubt 5w30 GTX Blnd would work just fine for your app too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
ppm wear per 1k is great. Never just look at wear numbers without figuring in the miles. What oils do you plan on running in the future?

+1

OP, thanks for this UOA. Using Edge EP 5-20 now, and hoping for good results on EOCI.

After this current fill of Pennzoil Pure Plus Ultra 5w20 I want to try Valvoline synthetic 5w20 and then Supertech Synthetic 5w20. I never ran a UOA of the Quaker State synthetic, though. After those, I might try a 5w30 and see how the numbers add up. A difference of a few ppm as recently stated is really not much more than statistical noise. These are all with an OEM filter. And an aftermarket cold air intake which surprisingly doesn't seem to have really affected the silicon numbers too much. I'm sure it is in need of its yearly cleaning though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back