10% ethanol in gas now??? i saw at the pump...

Status
Not open for further replies.
the pump had 10% ethanol taped on the pump....

i heard that adding this due to the abundance of ethanol to our already good gas is less power....or so?

am i right or was is i misunderstood when i heard that ethanol will not actually be better for our engines???

Originally Posted By: ZZman
That has been happening for a long time.....at least in Michigan.

Ethanol makes less power than equivalent amount of Gasoline but at only 10% (E-10) you would not see it.

Actually, you will see it, in the form of reduced mileage per gallon of fuel burned.

Ethanol makes less pollution.

Wrong, it takes more fossil fuel to produce ethanol than gasoline, so the carbon footprint is larger.

Also, burning ethanol produces formaldahyde and acetaldahyde, both are toxic substances.

It also helps some performance: http://www.ethanolfacts.com/ETHL2008/page.php?pgID=22

It is a common misconception that raising octane numbers will increase the performance of an engine, simply not true by itself. The engine would have to be modified (raise compression) to take advantage of the increase in octane.

The fact sheet you linked to is nothing but a propoganda site similar to the one our local government has posted on the web. Full of misleading information.

They've had it for a while here in MD as well. One time out of state with my mazda6(v6), and non 10% ethanol gas I got a touch over 30mpg for the 2 tanks that had real gas versus the 28-28.5 I see with MD's 10% blend. Haven't had non blended since tho.

Last edited:
not sure why anyone would want to put E85 or E10 in their vehicle, they are getting less MPG which in turn means they will have to fill up more often then normal..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back