'10 Cadillac SRX recall---Possible Engine failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the actual TSB.
Here is the main excerpt:
Certain 2010 model year Cadillac SRX vehicles equipped with engine RPO LAU (HFV6) may exhibit the following condition. The current engine control module (ECM) calibration algorithm increases the turbo boost pressure in response to retarded spark timing. This typically occurs when low octane (non-premium) fuel is used. The increased boost pressure combined with retarded spark can result in engine pre-ignition. The resulting peak cylinder chamber compression pressure may result in engine damage and possibly engine failure.

No big deal - program fix and no loss of power/economy. I think they should fire the engineer that allowed INCREASED turbo boost with retarded timing!

------------------

Service Information

2010 Cadillac SRX | SRX (VIN N) Service Manual | Campaigns | Customer Satisfaction | Document ID: 2435606
#10093: Customer Satisfaction - Revised ECM Calibration (Expires May 2, 2011) - (Apr 5, 2010)

Subject: 10093 - Revised ECM Calibration (Expires May 1, 2011)
Models: 2010 Cadillac SRX with LAU HFV6 Engine

Condition

Certain 2010 model year Cadillac SRX vehicles equipped with engine RPO LAU (HFV6) may exhibit the following condition. The current engine control module (ECM) calibration algorithm increases the turbo boost pressure in response to retarded spark timing. This typically occurs when low octane (non-premium) fuel is used. The increased boost pressure combined with retarded spark can result in engine pre-ignition. The resulting peak cylinder chamber compression pressure may result in engine damage and possibly engine failure.

Correction

Dealers are to reprogram the ECM to correct the turbo boost level when spark retard is present. This program expires May 1, 2011.

Vehicles Involved

Involved are certain 2010 model year Cadillac SRX vehicles equipped with engine RPO LAU (HFV6) and built within these VIN breakpoints:

Year

Division

Model

From

Through

Cadillac

SRX

AS510936

AS603214

Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using GMVIS (dealers using WINS), the Investigate Vehicle History link (dealers using GWM). Not all vehicles within the above breakpoints may be involved.

For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles containing the complete vehicle identification number, customer name, and address information has been prepared and will be provided to US and Canadian dealers through the GM GlobalConnect Recall Reports. Dealers will not have a report available if they have no involved vehicles currently assigned.

The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than follow-up necessary to complete this program is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to complete this program.

Parts Information

No parts involved - calibration upgrade only

Service Procedure

ENGINE CONTROL MODULE (ECM) PROGRAMMING

Do not attempt to order the calibration number from GM Customer Care and Aftersales. The calibration numbers required for this service procedure are programmed into control modules via a Multiple Diagnostic Interface (MDI) and TIS2WEB with the calibration update. When using a MDI for reprogramming, ensure that is updated with the latest software version. Use TIS2WEB on or after 04/01/10 to obtain the calibration. If you cannot access the calibration, call the Techline Customer Support Center and it will be provided.

For step-by-step programming instructions, please refer to SI and the Techline Information System (TIS) terminal.

Verify that there is a battery charge of 12 to 15 volts. The battery must be able to maintain a charge during programming. Only use an approved Midtronics® PSC 550 Battery Maintainer (SPS Programming Support Tool EL-49642) or equivalent to maintain proper battery voltage during programming.
Reprogram the engine control module (ECM). Refer to SI and Service Programming System (SPS) documentation for programming instructions, if required.
2.1. Connect the MDI to the vehicle.
2.2. Select J2534 MDI and Reprogram ECU from the Select Diagnostic Tool and Programming Process screen.
2.3. Select ECM Engine Control Module -- Programming from the Supported Controllers screen.
2.4. Follow the on-screen instructions.
Using the MDI, and either GDS or Tech 2, clear all DTCs if required.
Claim Information

1. Submit a claim using the table below.

Labor Operation

Description

Labor Time

V2241

Reprogram Engine Control Module (ECM)

Customer Notificiation - For US and Canada

General Motors will notify customers of this program on their vehicle (see copy of customer letter included with this bulletin). In addition, the GM Customer Assistance Center will begin telephoning customers of record on Monday April 5, 2010. The condition will be explained and an offer will be made to set an appointment with their dealership of choice.

Dealer Program Responsibility

All unsold new vehicles in dealers possession and subject to this program must be held and repaired per the service procedure of this program bulletin before customers take possession of these vehicles.

Dealers are to service all vehicles subject to this program at no charge to customers, regardless of mileage, age of vehicle, or ownership, through May 1,2011.

Customers who have recently purchased vehicles sold from your vehicle inventory, and for which there is no customer information indicated on the dealer listing, are to be contacted by the dealer. Arrangements are to be made to make the required correction according to the instructions contained in this bulletin. A copy of the customer letter is provided in this bulletin for your use in contacting customers. Program follow-up cards should not be used for this purpose, since the customer may not as yet have received the notification letter.

In summary, whenever a vehicle subject to this program enters your vehicle inventory, or is in your dealership for service through May 1,2011, you must take the steps necessary to be sure the program correction has been made before selling or releasing the vehicle.

April 2010
Dear General Motors Customer:

We have learned that your 2010 Cadillac SRX may exhibit the following condition. Use of other than the recommended Premium Gasoline specified in your owner’s manual may increase the turbo boost pressure in response to delayed spark plug timing. The resulting peak cylinder chamber compression pressure may result in engine damage and possibly engine failure.

Your satisfaction with your Cadillac SRX is very important to us, so we are announcing a program to prevent this condition or, if it has occurred, to fix it.

What We Will Do: Your GM dealer will reprogram the Engine Control Module. This service will take approximately 30 minutes and be performed for you at no charge until May 1, 2011 .

What You Should Do: To limit any possible inconvenience, we recommend that you contact your dealer as soon as possible to schedule an appointment for this repair.

Please also remember to only use Premium Gasoline with a posted octane rating of 91 or higher for normal driving. For best performance use Premium Gasoline with a posted octane rating of 93 or higher.

If you have any questions or need any assistance, just contact your dealer or the GM Customer Assistance Center at the number listed below.

Division

Number

Text Telephones (TTY)

Cadillac

1-866-982-2339

1-800-833-2622

We sincerely regret any inconvenience or concern that this situation may cause you. We want you to know that we will do our best, throughout your ownership experience, to ensure that your Cadillac SRX provides you many miles of enjoyable driving.

Scott Lawson

Director,

Customer and Relationship Services

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2010 General Motors. All rights reserved.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: willix
This car should have already been able to operate in peramiters for all fuel grades. Its a V6 for cripes sake.

I remember when 87 first came out it was called economy grade at Sunoco stations and was absolute swill,almost nothing ran well on it.
IMO the blame lies with the oil companies and government regulations allowing them to sell this rubbish as "regular" instead of 89 octane along with the public demanding high horsepower and good fuel economy running on garbage not suitable for a garden tractor.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

No big deal - program fix and no loss of power/economy. I think they should fire the engineer that allowed INCREASED turbo boost with retarded timing!

There's nothing at all wrong with trading boost for timing advance under normal conditions and long periods of steady-state operation. Compared one to one, running a higher boost and less spark advance is more efficient because the flame front spends less time pushing AGAINST the rising piston. You don't want to do that when the loading or throttle position is varying rapidly, but letting the parameters gradually drift toward high boost/retarded timing at cruise is good for efficiency and emissions, and normally doesn't hurt longevity. Its just like back in the days when big turbo piston engines were used in aircraft- the most efficient cruise setting was auto-lean, high boost, and low RPM.

The fault here appears to have been that boost was allowed to increase when the timing was retarded due to knock sensor detection rather than just due to a prolonged period of steady-state operation. But it wouldn't have ever been a problem without operator error to trigger it.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

There's nothing at all wrong with trading boost for timing advance under normal conditions and long periods of steady-state operation. Compared one to one, running a higher boost and less spark advance is more efficient because the flame front spends less time pushing AGAINST the rising piston. You don't want to do that when the loading or throttle position is varying rapidly, but letting the parameters gradually drift toward high boost/retarded timing at cruise is good for efficiency and emissions, and normally doesn't hurt longevity. Its just like back in the days when big turbo piston engines were used in aircraft- the most efficient cruise setting was auto-lean, high boost, and low RPM.

The fault here appears to have been that boost was allowed to increase when the timing was retarded due to knock sensor detection rather than just due to a prolonged period of steady-state operation. But it wouldn't have ever been a problem without operator error to trigger it.

Thanks for that explanation.

In the end I think GM has likely learned that they needed to add running a premium required vehicle on regular to their testing matrix.

This one happened to an automotive writer during a manufacturer test drive so they were swift in the fix. I am unclear if GM or really any automotive company would have sped this out the door if it happened to joe consumer(likely has).

But it is the year of the recall.

simply poor programming. This is typical on newer models, you're doing the R&D.

And note that many cars have such sensitive knock detection that you will never hear anything no matter what grade of fuel you use.

My car is tuned for 91, and I run an upgraded aftermarket tune for 93 octane. We have accidentally ran 87 with no knocking of any kind, just reduced performance by reduced timing.

Never even a 'ping'.

Ah, now I see the light. The answer to everything auto performance related today is to "slap a turbo on it." Let's cheat by installing a turbo or supercharger and it no longer falls on the driver to perform.

Neolithic incompetence.

Originally Posted By: Challenger71
Ah, now I see the light. The answer to everything auto performance related today is to "slap a turbo on it." Let's cheat by installing a turbo or supercharger and it no longer falls on the driver to perform.

Neolithic incompetence.

Well, even if you put a professional driver behind the wheel of my cavalier, it still won't go any faster. Won't do 0-60 better than 11 seconds, and definitely won't ever beat a real sporty car, like mustang (or a challenger) around the track.

rudolphna, you would be pleasantly surprised to see what a professional, circuit track driver could do with your cavalier on a road course. My focus was on the insatiable appetite for turbo's/superchargers and the legions of people who are into sports cars that cant get enough of them. Single, dual, quad turbo's, it does not cease. Nor do the blown engines.

Neolithic incompetence.

Turbos are the answer for using small engines with good mpg's and performance all in the same package. What could possibly be so bad about that??? But, yeah they haven't found a way to correct bad drivers yet! LOL!

My big old heavy 87 Buick Grand National with a 3.8 Turbo will give me 20's mpg around town and almost 30 highway yet when the light changes very few can catch me. That was progress and an amazing feat in the 80's...today things are much more advanced.

Last edited:
I love rally cars,you would be amazed what a professional rally driver can do with a car on regular roads in all kinds of conditions.

My big old heavy 87 Buick Grand National with a 3.8 Turbo will give me 20's mpg around town and almost 30 highway yet when the light changes very few can catch me. That was progress and an amazing feat in the 80's...today things are much more advanced.

It's all relative, a Grand National is about the weight of a new Honda Accord Sedan. Lighter than a V6 auto, maybe heavier than a 4 cylinder manual.

They are still amazing cars.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna

Well, even if you put a professional driver behind the wheel of my cavalier, it still won't go any faster. Won't do 0-60 better than 11 seconds, and definitely won't ever beat a real sporty car, like mustang (or a challenger) around the track.

A pro football team wearing nothing but their jock straps will beat a high school football team wearing the best equipment available every time.

Originally Posted By: XS650

A pro football team wearing nothing but their jock straps will beat a high school football team wearing the best equipment available every time.

lol.gif

Does anybody know how often the ECU tries to advance timing *after* it has reduced it due to knock detection? Does it wait until next restart? Does it wait until gas gauge goes up signifying new fuel in the system?

How would *you* handle this if you had the opportunity to program?

- Vikas

Neolithic incompetence.

Turbos are the answer for using small engines with good mpg's and performance all in the same package. What could possibly be so bad about that??? But, yeah they haven't found a way to correct bad drivers yet! LOL!

Good point.

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
I love rally cars,you would be amazed what a professional rally driver can do with a car on regular roads in all kinds of conditions.

AGREED!

Even though they are NEVER 'wheel-to-wheel', they are THE grand masters of car control (like you said, in ALL conditions/road surfaces possible), and in my opinion the BEST overall drivers on this planet!!
wink.gif

Except the Bengals.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger

Except the Bengals.

I stand corrected. I should know better than to make absolute statements.
crackmeup2.gif
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back