Year: 2005
Engine type: LY7 3.6L V6 VVT Non-DI
Sump capacity: 5.7 liters (6 qts)
Oil Filter: OEM
Miles on unit: 102163 miles
Miles on oil sample: 10144 miles
Oil life monitor: 1% engine oil life
Added oil: 2 qts
Driving condition: extreme cold weather startup, a lot of idling and 50-50 highway-city driving.

First row is the last analysis with still mobil 1 5w30 with 10k miles on the oil change. the next one, is the new one with 10144 miles.

Last sample / New sample

Al- 4 / 4
Pb- 9 / 6
Cu- 3 / 2
Fe- 40 / 29
cr- 1 / 1
ni- 1 / 1
Mo- 91 / 84
mg- 15 / 13
B- 62 / 70
Na- 8 / 5
Ca- 2410 / 2411
P- 712 / 683
Mn- 2 / 2
Zn- 820 / 805
K- 5 / 5

Soot: 0% / 0%
Water: cSt at 40 deg C: 52.81 / 56.53
cSt at 100 deg C: 9.41 / 9.73
TBN: 5.18 / 4.84
dilution (volatile): 0% / 0%

btw, I received an email saying that the lab took the wrong sample for my virgin oil analysis and they will send me the new VOA at the beginning of next week + 2 free UOA.

Feel free to comment!

I think the OLM is doing its job and I think the car is in good shape + the oil, regular Mobil 1 5w30 synthetic gmspec 4718m is doing fine versus whatever we hear here and there.

The 2 qts of make-up oil is possibly due to a small timing chain cover gasket that is seeping a little. There is improvment from last sample. I dont think the previous owner did put synthetic in the engine...

Last edited:
So was the first sample the first oil change since he bought it from the previous owner?

Great TBN for the usage and didn't seem to shear at all, still a solid 30 weight (as much as Mobil one 5w30 starts as one at least)

Originally Posted By: ctc
So was the first sample the first oil change since he bought it from the previous owner?

No not the first oil change since I bought the car. When I bought the car at the cadi dealer, they said they change the oil. When I asked with what kinda of oil, they say dino 5w30. I changed it at 3k miles and I've read the owner's manual and follow it religiously from now on.

I've made each oil change when the DIC was at 30-40% because I was scare to let it drop until change oil light tells me to change the oil. Thats when I started to hear about used oil analysis so I could keep track of my engine and the oil inside of it and knowing if the OLM is accurate or not because the dealer wants 180$ CAN for an oil change at every 3k miles.

So I guess the oil is cleaning whats was left of the residues in the engine.. I dunno, its just what I think.

With 10k miles and TBN about 5 for both samples, M1 EP can easily go 15k miles as advertised, at least in this car. Actually, regular M1 can go that distance too.

2 quarts of make up oil?

That is a pretty good leak. Plus it adds QUITE a bit to the oil so if someone who did not use that much make up oil their UOA would be QUITE different. (ie worst)

How difficult (or $$) would it be to get the leak fixed?

Also, proves to me that unless you see a UOA that has little to no makeup oil, their UOA really does not show you what yours may do if you do not use / leak oil and put in much makeup oil.

Take care, Bill

the car has always consume oil like almost all cadillac engines. its usually 1qt per 5-6k miles that I think.

Also, the consumption is from a lot of idling (almost an hour per day) + a lot of cold start at -42C no place to plug the car when I was in the north.

The leak started during those cold start unfortunately (that I noticed) so maybe thats why I've got a little more make-up oil. It seep very slowly because there is no drop on the floor or under the leak.

To get the leak fixed, its about 1500$ CAN if everything they dont get through trouble and right now, I cannot afford this since my transmission cooler line just started to leak due to corrosion and its in a transmission shop right now. The pleasure to have a car as a business office! I drive, I eat, I work, I print, I live and more in this car. The only thing I did not do yet is take a shower in this car LOL!

On my last OCI at 10k miles, I had to put 1 qts (it was summer) of make up oil. So 2 qts for 10k miles doesn't alarm me right now. So I can compare to the last UOA (no leak) to this UOA (with a leak).

Mark.

Last edited:
$1500! Ouch.

2 quarts WOULD show up on the floor. So you are using some.

2 quarts will make any UOA look better than it is since you are putting in new additives to refresh the oil.

Its like people who add Auto-RX, MMO and other then people who do not do any UOAs automatically think (and recommend) that xx brand of oil is good for xx miles.

Unless the miles is the recommended OCI or OLM, they should not be flatly stating that xx is good for xx unless they do their own UOA.

Thanks for the reply. With the 2 quarts of makeup oil your 10k OCI seems great for your engine!

Take care, Bill

PS: My work vehicle they replaced the windshield this last week and it leaks enough now for me to at least get a bath! I know how it is to spend a lot of time in the outfit.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

PS: My work vehicle they replaced the windshield this last week and it leaks enough now for me to at least get a bath! I know how it is to spend a lot of time in the outfit.

MOUAHAHAHAHAHA

I never thought about it but I have a sunroof so maybe I could try to get a shower one day!

Very good report.I've had good UOAs with with M1 oils at the 8 to 12,000 mile OCI range. The M1 bashers need to relax.
Any way congrats on the fine UOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back