10,000mi OCI for a 2020 4Runner?

Joined
Dec 23, 2015
Messages
62
Location
NY
I have a 2017 4Runner with the 4.0. It is my second vehicle and I drive it in two very different ways. First I do a lot of short tripping where sometimes I don't even get up to full operating temperatures. Secondly when I travel with it, which is typically every other weekend, I do a minimum of 120 miles but usually it's around 200 miles. And in all honesty I feel that dumping the oil in this truck at 5k is a not necessary. At one year or 10k , these motors will run a very long time. I had a 2012 4.0 Tacoma which is a slightly different motor but I did 10k oil changes on that with 5w30 EP Mobil 1 for 60k with zero issues. I would change that oil filter every 5k. I know many people that severely mistreated those motors and they still run but to each their own...
 
Joined
Feb 14, 2017
Messages
549
Location
iowa
Originally Posted by SLO_Town
Originally Posted by Danno
If it was mine, 1000 miles on 1st dump, then 5,000 mile oci after that.
^This Scott
+2...this is how i would roll....
 
Joined
Mar 28, 2016
Messages
552
Location
burlington ,ontario, canada
The maintenance schedule through the dealership for our '14 Camry is the first two changes at 8,000km, and after that, every 16,000km. So in your case that raises the question: does cost consideration for the dealership and/or keeping up with the Jones' (competition) outweigh best practice? You won't get a definitive answer on this so go with whatever gives you peace of mind.
 
Last edited:
Joined
May 19, 2014
Messages
732
Location
Ice Box of the Nation
10k oci M1 0w40 Fram ultra every other change UOAs to prove it works lol 40wt oil is speced for this engine all over the world and the full saps Mobil (and Castrol) products are on the brink of being 30s anyways. Hugely strong add packs and TBN and they both meet the strictest oil specs on the planet. Want clean pistons, low cam and bearing wear? See my sig
 
Last edited:
Joined
Feb 8, 2006
Messages
333
Location
VA
I run 0w20 Nov-April and 5w30 May-Oct. As stated, each of those intervals gets approx 8-9k miles on M1 EP.
 

Y_K

Joined
May 29, 2009
Messages
2,793
Location
WA (USA)
Originally Posted by BucDan
Going from 0W20 to 0W40 seems like a pretty big jump.
Correlation between oil 'weight' and oil viscosity is not linear. And correlation between kinematic viscosity and oil film thickness is not linear as well.
 
Joined
Oct 9, 2004
Messages
6,574
Location
New Braunfels
true..the problem is that the audience does not have the vocabulary and understanding of the technical aspects to know that 0w40 is just not that much thicker than 0w20. They are all in the range of "engine oil" which is a narrow range in itself.
Originally Posted by Y_K
Originally Posted by BucDan
Going from 0W20 to 0W40 seems like a pretty big jump.
Correlation between oil 'weight' and oil viscosity is not linear. And correlation between kinematic viscosity and oil film thickness is not linear as well.
Originally Posted by Y_K
Originally Posted by BucDan
Going from 0W20 to 0W40 seems like a pretty big jump.
Correlation between oil 'weight' and oil viscosity is not linear. And correlation between kinematic viscosity and oil film thickness is not linear as well.
 
Joined
Sep 20, 2017
Messages
522
Location
Southeast
Originally Posted by BucDan
I like that idea about the oil filter though, leave the oil filter in for 2 changes, but since I'll be under there already, I know I'll just tell myself "might as well since I'm already down here".
It's not actually that bad to change the filter, but it is more aggravation than it should be. I wish they would have given us an access hole in the skid plate. https://trail4runner.com/2018/06/11/5th-gen-4runner-oil-change/ [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
 
Joined
Oct 2, 2008
Messages
1,618
Location
Flatlands of Indiana
I have an '18 4runner. Using 5W-30 in it since the first oil change, which I did myself. 5K intervals. The Maint. light reminds me. I may stretch out to 7500. On another subject, don't forget your drive shaft grease points, there are 5 or 6. I had read on the 4runner forums that some dealers were not greasing these as part of the 2yr maint. program, so it may be a good idea to verify that with your dealer. And yes removal of the front skid plate for access to the filter is a little bit of a PITA, and I could see people stripping out the threads.
 
Last edited:

BucDan

Thread starter
Joined
Dec 10, 2019
Messages
122
Location
San Diego, CA
Originally Posted by Doublehaul
10k oci M1 0w40 Fram ultra every other change UOAs to prove it works lol 40wt oil is speced for this engine all over the world and the full saps Mobil (and Castrol) products are on the brink of being 30s anyways. Hugely strong add packs and TBN and they both meet the strictest oil specs on the planet. Want clean pistons, low cam and bearing wear? See my sig
Ok. Good to know! Has using 0w40 impact your MPG at all? I know these vehicles aren't exactly known for it, but I'm just curious. Since you're a stout Toyota driver, any reason why you use 0w40 instead of 0w20 or 5w30?
Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr
true..the problem is that the audience does not have the vocabulary and understanding of the technical aspects to know that 0w40 is just not that much thicker than 0w20. They are all in the range of "engine oil" which is a narrow range in itself.
Originally Posted by Y_K
Originally Posted by BucDan
Going from 0W20 to 0W40 seems like a pretty big jump.
Correlation between oil 'weight' and oil viscosity is not linear. And correlation between kinematic viscosity and oil film thickness is not linear as well.
I'll be honest, I don't have a very deep understanding of the oils and weight, that's why I'm here smile. All I know is what the factory fill weights are for my cars, and I just stick to it. I know they recommend and allow other weights, but I've kinda fallen into the "routine and commonality" system that I don't stray from because I don't know much about it and combine what I read in forums, what the manual says, and what they use for maintenance at a dealership. Like for my Audi, it's 5w40 Motul, else it's 0w40 from Castrol. I know I can use 5w30, but for some reason I'm afraid(?) to use it when it is also recommended; yet the VAG community loves that oil weight as a unicorn for some reason.
 
Last edited:
Joined
Dec 19, 2018
Messages
2,628
Location
Vancouver
Simple fact is the vehicle will last 200k+ with the recommended oil, and there's no real evidence that using thicker oils offer any advantages in normal, every day driving.
 
Joined
Mar 26, 2016
Messages
62
Location
SC
I haven't looked at your manual, but don't trust the dealer to know the proper OCI. I had a 2011 Tacoma with the 2TR-FE that came with synthetic 0w20 from the factory. The manual recommended 5k OCI even with synthetic oils. The dealer tried to argue with me and I had to bring my manual and several other resources for them to honor the 5k OCI under the 25k complimentary service plan. They also both under- and over-filled it. I only took it in three times before I decided it wasn't worth it. Check your manual, hold them to account.
 

BucDan

Thread starter
Joined
Dec 10, 2019
Messages
122
Location
San Diego, CA
Originally Posted by leemajors
I haven't looked at your manual, but don't trust the dealer to know the proper OCI. I had a 2011 Tacoma with the 2TR-FE that came with synthetic 0w20 from the factory. The manual recommended 5k OCI even with synthetic oils. The dealer tried to argue with me and I had to bring my manual and several other resources for them to honor the 5k OCI under the 25k complimentary service plan. They also both under- and over-filled it. I only took it in three times before I decided it wasn't worth it. Check your manual, hold them to account.
I'm pretty much leaning towards not even using them for the oil change. It's hard to trust dealerships for maintenance unless it's a big job. Don't need someone half assing it.
 
Joined
Jul 21, 2008
Messages
632
Location
Phila, PA
For what it worth... I am running 0w-30 Amsoil Sig. Series in my 2018 4Runner TRD Off-Road. The engine is quieter than factory fill. Maybe due to it is breaking in. I am also running the TRD oil filter. I forwent the fee oil changes. I have done my own work for 30+ years and not about to let any one touch my baby. 2nd close choice would have been Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 if I didn't already have an Amsoil account. My OCI will be... not sure yet. Factory fill came out at 1400 miles. Probably every 2 years since my miles per year are really low. I did see some metal filings in the oil filter housing. Hopefully normal from break-in. The vehicle will probably outlast me. I do agree you can run almost anything between 0w-20 and 15w-40 for the appropriate climate and drain interval and easily get 250,000 miles out of it.
 
Last edited:
Joined
May 4, 2008
Messages
476
Just my .02 How long do you plan on keeping your 2020 4Runner? It's hard for me to separate the any type of possible EPA intervention as well as your warranty period, when it comes to 10K OCI's. Could the vehicle live a happy life past 200K miles with the factory recommended OCI's? Perhaps...hard to say. Driving around with an oil temp/pressure gauge now I see that it takes quite awhile for the oil temp to get above 180 deg F..the oil temp tends to mimic the coolant temp but takes much longer to get there. Only way I would stretch any OCI past 5K would be with a lab report every 1500 miles past 5K...but personally I would be changing the oil at 5K. Our 2014 Highlander goes in every 5-6K for the OCI on 0W-20....I'm fine with the added frequency.
 
Joined
Sep 18, 2002
Messages
5,752
Location
VA
I couldn't do it. 5K maximum for most owners. Probably 3K (6 months) with those 8 mile trips. I'm personally back to 3K but I am a long term keeper.
 
Joined
Apr 24, 2007
Messages
4,036
Location
WI.
had more than a few -10F starts this winter and they sound solid..when temps permit I go conventional 10/30 10/40 and 15/40, ran 15/40 last summer in the Lex..very nice, luxurious.
 
Top