10,000-mile results are in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
3MP, thanks. Well, their you have it, the TBN is a 4.0 according to the Dexil kit. Viscosity is down and Pb is too. Things are still looking good for this oil. 8,000 more miles to go. Should be good. I think the oil will make it.

[ August 03, 2004, 09:27 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Oh yes that's more like it.

Thanks 3MP!
smile.gif

One could take the position that the engine is "more broken-in" and the Amsoil has a "higher viscosity" (which Patman is adament about it's need for in LS1s) which is why the wear metals look better for the Amsoil. (427Z06: Ducks to avoid all the flying fruit)
grin.gif

Throw rotten fruit? How about if I deliver you a custom fruit basket, midwinter?
bowdown.gif

Thanks for the hassle (and the extra hassle!)

I know a few ppm is just pure lab error so basically metal was a wash (ie unchanged, yet more dilute).

The bottom line is: we will make it to the filter change and as we said those folks saying the oil is "done" are just showing a bias.

Whew, back from the brink
smile.gif
. Nothing like a fresh quart of oil to put a bit of sparkle back in the results.

John

quote:

Originally posted by jthorner:
smile.gif
. Nothing like a fresh quart of oil to put a bit of sparkle back in the results.

John

Amazing, huh?!

I honestly don't think AMSOIL will make it to 18,000 miles (ala Mobil 1), even with a filter change and eternal top-offs.

Perhaps I'll be proven wrong.

I don't know about AstroVic's theory, but I can tell you right now that based on the accumulated miles to this point it's not going to hit 18k before the year is up. I'd bet this one ends around 14k just from the time limitation.

Vettenuts, I check the oil level immediately after drawing a sample.

Cheers, 3MP

quote:

Originally posted by jthorner:
smile.gif

John

At 10k both the Amsoil and Mobil tests consumed the same amount of makeup oil. Same for the next analysis at 11k.

I am curious 3mad, since you are riding the motorcycle more does that mean that the camaro only gets out in the rain?

quote:

So what do you think? Surprised?

It appears that Amsoil is using the Magnesium more for friction modification than for tbn retention, since there are various magnesium additives; a. some are used as high tbn detergents, b. some variations for friction modification, and c. some are combination detergents/FM's. I suspect they are using the b. version.

If it were not for the Boron, another alkali metal, the tbn might have nosedived at a higher rate.

Pronostication: I believe the combination and add levels of boron, zddp, and magnesium, along with the higher viscosity base oil(s), will insure wear metals will be kept to below M 1 levels for the duration.

quote:

It appears that Amsoil is using the Magnesium more for friction modification than for tbn retention, since there are various magnesium additives; a. some are used as high tbn detergents, b. some variations for friction modification, and c. some are combination detergents/FM's. I suspect they are using the b. version.

If it were not for the Boron, another alkali metal, the tbn might have nosedived at a higher rate.

Thanks Molekule. Glad your around to share this kind of info.
cheers.gif

Side note, I'm really curious to see Amsoil's next generation oils. As I said earlier, they are testing new oils and it will be interesting to see if they lower ZDDP and to see if wear is compromised. Doubt it due to other great non-api oils that already exist but ya never know.
wink.gif

quote:

I don't know about AstroVic's theory, but I can tell you right now that based on the accumulated miles to this point it's not going to hit 18k before the year is up. I'd bet this one ends around 14k just from the time limitation.

Then we wouldn't know for sure because of certain condition if Amsoil can go 18K as like Mobil 1 had. Either way an interesting test of how synthetic oil on extended OCI.

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
Pronostication: I believe...

Did you mean "Prognostication"?

Pronostication: The act of predicting favorable results. (1)

(1) Eye'm the last person who should be commenting on anyone's spilling, but kudn't pass that up.

I am confused. I see people posting negative comments about AMSOIL while the test numbers clearly puts AMSOIL ahead of Mobile 1!

I thought the ultimate function of any oil is to protect the engine. From what I see AMSOIL has beaten M1 in terms of metal wear hands down.

Even if AMSOIL doesnt make it to 18,000 Mile mark I still see it as the better oil. Why would anyone use an oil for 18,000 mile when the oil clearly can not protect the engine. AMSOIL on the other hand has protected the engine upto 10K mark.

You cannot conclude anything meaningful from the wear metal data unless the test is repeated again with both types of oil. The engine was still running in during the MI cycle. So the observation that the wear metals have stabilized during the Amsoil cycle could mean: 1) wear would have stabilized anyway regardless of the oil or, 2) Amsoil provides better protection. Nothing in the data set so far can distinguish between the 2 alternatives. If 3MP's objective is to see how long different oils can hold up, he should continue the test with different oils. If the purpose is to compare wear rates between oils, the next cycle should be M1 again followed by Amsoil.

Mobil went 18,000 miles but you still got to account for the additional oil 3MP had to replace because of the oil sample withdraw. I believe 3MP concluded that the 18,000 mile OCI with Mobil came out to about 10,000 miles if no oil was to be replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back