1 year old "new" car with factory oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Originally Posted by Delta
Originally Posted by ZsGti
I picked up my 2019 Gti. Did WOT pulls as soon as the car hit operating temp with 4 miles on the odometer. Changed the oil with 502/505 spec oil at 300 miles and 750 miles. I will now do 4000 mile change intervals. No sense in leaving original oil in the car for longer than 1000 miles during break in. But everyone has their opinions.

So in other words do everything the owner's manual says not to do. Got it.

Was thinking the same thing; supposed to take it easy for 600 miles, then a gradual increase of throttle until 1,000 miles. Pretty sure this car will eventually have oil burning issues in its future.

Don't forget to run oil that is not spec'd and do oil changes twice as often as required. lol

How many performance cars have you guys owned? Let alone worked on, raced, and maintained? The owners manual has a break in period so people don't leave the lot at WOT and crash the vehicle. My 2015 sti, 2016 370z, 2016 focus rs, and 2018 392 challenger have all gotten my break in procedure and oil changes; Not one shows any oil loss over a 3k interval. When you break in built 600hp turbo 4cyl on a dyno let me know
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Delta
I picked up my 2019 Gti. Did WOT pulls as soon as the car hit operating temp with 4 miles on the odometer. Changed the oil with 502/505 spec oil at 300 miles and 750 miles. I will now do 4000 mile change intervals. No sense in leaving original oil in the car for longer than 1000 miles during break in. But everyone has their opinions.

So in other words do everything the owner's manual says not to do. Got it.

Was thinking the same thing; supposed to take it easy for 600 miles, then a gradual increase of throttle until 1,000 miles. Pretty sure this car will eventually have oil burning issues in its future.

Ill assume you have never seen the cylinder walls of a motor to compare. I have seen the walls of a babied motor and it showed scarring and poor leak downs. Compared to a motor with a hard break in that has perfect walls and 1% leak down.

Ill assume you have never seen the cylinder walls of a motor to compare. I have seen the walls of a babied motor and it showed scarring and poor leak downs. Compared to a motor with a hard break in that has perfect walls and 1% leak down.

I can tell you my car is not babied at all, I just took a "by the book" approach in the beginning. It got plenty of decent accels and high vacuum load going up and down the mountain, seems to have worked for me. It gets driven hard most days and never has used any measurable amount. Yes it was a little ignorant of me to say your car will eventually see oil usage, but I'm going off the not so great history of these engines.

How many performance cars have you guys owned? Let alone worked on, raced, and maintained? The owners manual has a break in period so people don't leave the lot at WOT and crash the vehicle. My 2015 sti, 2016 370z, 2016 focus rs, and 2018 392 challenger have all gotten my break in procedure and oil changes; Not one shows any oil loss over a 3k interval. When you break in built 600hp turbo 4cyl on a dyno let me know
smile.gif

Well, I don't know. I used to have a nine second Mustang, then I had both a MkV and MkVI GTI for a combined twelve years, and now I have an RS3. Is that good enough?

Update: I chat with a service adviser at a local dealership today. He told me that as a service adviser at the dealer, he should tell me that the oil is fine, no need to worry for a full cycle of 12 month or 10k miles from the day of purchase; but personally he would drop the oil on the earlier side. No need to do it immediately but maybe between 2k and 3k miles.

Originally Posted by shanneba
Oil that sat in a car for 5 years.

The BlackStone Labs newsletter has this story-
https://gallery.mailchimp.com/f6413...451b-a4ea-a653955b4404/ENG_July_2018.pdf

"We recently had a customer send in a sample of oil that had been in an engine since 2008 and had not
been run in over 5 years -- amazingly enough the oil really didn't change at all. Wear metals were virtually identical to what we were seeing in 2008 and the only significant difference was at insolubles. These
had gone from 0.2% to 0.0% after the 5 years of sitting."

Unfortunately, this doesn't tell us anything about how the oil will perform going forward. Those insolubles that "disappeared" from the oil were undoubtedly layered on the bottom of the pan, reactivity potential unknown, just waiting to get stirred back into the oil the first time the engine got a good run under its belt.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Stick with the manual's recommended oil change interval. The oil in the crankcase doesn't know it's a year old. Since many VW's are prone to oil consumption, the more important thing to do is check the oil level regularly.
By this reasoning, we can just completely ignore all the oil change time requirements, going only by miles. That's not what the maintenance schedule -- nor the warranty -- say. Or put another way, yes for sure, stick with the mfr recommended OCI -- and change at one year -- starting from when the oil went in -- one year ago.

I've just recently addressed the same issue. I took delivery of my 2018 Prius in January 2019, exactly one year after its manufacture date of January, 2018. It had 100 miles on the odo when I accepted it. That means it took the long boat ride and got short tripped for the rest of the year. OCI for the car is 5k miles or 6 months (severe/special) or 10k miles and 1 year. Ignoring the debate as to whether its history constitutes severe/special or normal, either way, it was, by the terms of its maintenance schedule, immediately due for an oil change -- one year. It didn't sit in a nitrogen-pressurized deep frozen time capsule for a year -- it was out in the actual elements. Do I think the engine would have exploded if I hadn't changed oil -- most probably not. That said, I refuse to speculate/hope that my year-old FF is OK. I replaced it with the oil I chose for the car, I know exactly what it is, how long it's been in there, and for sure when it needs to come out. Much more comfortable that way. Change it and be done with it.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
gtijiaozi said:
. . .

Synthetic oil doesn't easily oxidize (ie. degrade). IMO the reason for the 1 yr schedule is to address concerns over condensation and fuel dilution due to short tripping.
I should have addressed this last night too. It's a valid point, IMO. The problem is that it leaves you relying upon speculation. As I indicated in my prior post, I doubt that my engine would have failed had I not changed oil when I did, but I don't know for sure. Now, I know with certainty that my oil is fresh and clean, and as importantly, I know with certainty when it should come out.

Originally Posted by ekpolk
gtijiaozi said:
. . .

Synthetic oil doesn't easily oxidize (ie. degrade). IMO the reason for the 1 yr schedule is to address concerns over condensation and fuel dilution due to short tripping.
I should have addressed this last night too. It's a valid point, IMO. The problem is that it leaves you relying upon speculation. As I indicated in my prior post, I doubt that my engine would have failed had I not changed oil when I did, but I don't know for sure. Now, I know with certainty that my oil is fresh and clean, and as importantly, I know with certainty when it should come out.

Well you also don't know for sure that your engine would not have failed after you changed the factory fill early. Your presumption is that engine manufacturing in 2019 has not made any advancements in the past 30 or more years.

Btw..there is plenty of proof that the factory fill is fine by the fact that there are tens of thousands of these vehicles which do not have lubricate issues because the factory fill wasn't dumped ahead of schedule. This is object proof over some preconceived notion of the way it has always been in the past.

I absolutely would have made it a condition of the sale that the dealer perform the 10k/1yr service.

Think about it: if you bought the car the day it was made, drove it home, and parked it for a year, you would still be expected to have it serviced on schedule to remain warranty compliant, right?

. . . Your presumption is that engine manufacturing in 2019 has not made any advancements in the past 30 or more years.
Respectfully, absolutely not. I made no such presumption. My decision to change early had zero to do with engine manufacturing. I'm very sure virtually all modern engines, Toyota being no exception, are manufactured very cleanly and with levels of precision, that render the debris and rough break-in concerns of decades ago moot. I don't see why you assumed that I made such a presumption. I did not. No, my decision was based solely upon the essentially unknown state of the oil, and the passage of the maximum time allowed for the oil to be in the engine.

Btw..there is plenty of proof that the factory fill is fine by the fact that there are tens of thousands of these vehicles which do not have lubricate issues because the factory fill wasn't dumped ahead of schedule. This is object proof over some preconceived notion of the way it has always been in the past.
Pleases show me the proof that applies to my car. New cars are typically sold within three (3) months. Mine, with an unpopular option and color combination sat for almost a year. Very not typical, and a period of time that essentially equals the maximum oil change time allowed in the warranty and manual. So, to reiterate, the car's maintenance schedule clearly says that the maximum time to keep oil in the engine is ONE YEAR. The oil had been in the engine for ONE YEAR. 2+2=4. Oil reaches one year = change it. It's pretty simple -- follow the book -- no "preconceived notions" applied whatsoever. . .

Originally Posted by gtijiaozi

... So this car has sat on dealer's lot for almost an year with the original oil before I bought it. It has 350 miles when I bought it ...

If you have ever worked at a car dealer, you would know that your car IS ALREADY broken in ... and not by being driven gently ... ! Lot guys and sales people drive performance cars FIRMLY !

Originally Posted by ekpolk
. . . Your presumption is that engine manufacturing in 2019 has not made any advancements in the past 30 or more years.
Respectfully, absolutely not. I made no such presumption. My decision to change early had zero to do with engine manufacturing. I'm very sure virtually all modern engines, Toyota being no exception, are manufactured very cleanly and with levels of precision, that render the debris and rough break-in concerns of decades ago moot. I don't see why you assumed that I made such a presumption. I did not. No, my decision was based solely upon the essentially unknown state of the oil, and the passage of the maximum time allowed for the oil to be in the engine.

Pleases show me the proof that applies to my car. New cars are typically sold within three (3) months. Mine, with an unpopular option and color combination sat for almost a year. Very not typical, and a period of time that essentially equals the maximum oil change time allowed in the warranty and manual. So, to reiterate, the car's maintenance schedule clearly says that the maximum time to keep oil in the engine is ONE YEAR. The oil had been in the engine for ONE YEAR. 2+2=4. Oil reaches one year = change it. It's pretty simple -- follow the book -- no "preconceived notions" applied whatsoever. . .

This is the post I was responding to:

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
. . .
Think about it: if you bought the car the day it was made, drove it home, and parked it for a year, you would still be expected to have it serviced on schedule to remain warranty compliant, right?
BINGO!!!
thumbsup2.gif

I dump the factory fill on all my new cars at the 500 mile mark and 1500 miles, then again at the 5K mark then every 5k afterwords, and yes i sleep well at night.
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Malo83
I dump the factory fill on all my new cars at the 500 mile mark and 1500 miles, then again at the 5K mark then every 5k afterwords, and yes i sleep well at night.
cheers3.gif

Amen to that!

I have never changed the factory fill on a new vehicle before 5k

I change my Jetta,timing belt, at 10k.
I change the Audi, timing chain, at 5k. Timing chain wear/stretch is what i consider over bearing/cylinder wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back