1 percent of trans-national companies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Control 40% of the global market.

Saw this in the newsagent this morning on our stroll.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21...-the-world.html

Quote:
AS PROTESTS against financial power sweep the world this week, science may have confirmed the protesters' worst fears. An analysis of the relationships between 43,000 transnational corporations has identified a relatively small group of companies, mainly banks, with disproportionate power over the global economy.
The work, to be published in PloS One, revealed a core of 1318 companies with interlocking ownerships (see image). Each of the 1318 had ties to two or more other companies, and on average they were connected to 20. What's more, although they represented 20 per cent of global operating revenues, the 1318 appeared to collectively own through their shares the majority of the world's large blue chip and manufacturing firms - the "real" economy - representing a further 60 per cent of global revenues.

When the team further untangled the web of ownership, it found much of it tracked back to a "super-entity" of 147 even more tightly knit companies - all of their ownership was held by other members of the super-entity - that controlled 40 per cent of the total wealth in the network. "In effect, less than 1 per cent of the companies were able to control 40 per cent of the entire network," says Glattfelder. Most were financial institutions. The top 20 included Barclays Bank, JPMorgan Chase & Co, and The Goldman Sachs Group

Just how concentrated does the market have to be to be displaying monopolistic tendencies ?

Not surprising at all. Plus you left a bunch out. Trying to make a political point where one doesn't exist.

Quote:
One thing won't chime with some of the protesters' claims: the super-entity is unlikely to be the intentional result of a conspiracy to rule the world. "Such structures are common in nature," says Sugihara.

I tend to think it's a good thing these companies interact. Gives me hope they won't be all choked out by governments gone amuck.

The do have great business accounts. I have been 110% happy with BofA. They know me by name and let me scoot right over to the merchant booth.....oh crud I'm being sucked into the TNC......

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Well known if you dig into the Rothschild issue. Nothing new here.

BINGO!

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Not surprising at all. Plus you left a bunch out. Trying to make a political point where one doesn't exist.

Quote:
One thing won't chime with some of the protesters' claims: the super-entity is unlikely to be the intentional result of a conspiracy to rule the world. "Such structures are common in nature," says Sugihara.

:rolleyes:

It's mathematically simple to prove a relationship, but impossible to prove "conspiracy", which was not my point in any form in the first place.

But now you've raised it, Oz petrol companies get investigated all of the time for independently raising the price of petrol on the same day by the same amount, but there has never been a proven case of collusion...but it's extraordinary coincidence, isn't it ?

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
True-

but the bigger question is what do to about it?

There are many: 1) Finding foreign companies to go head on in competitions with them (outsource, unpopular), 2) antitrust break up, 3) use / pay them less by supporting smaller businesses ($).

They all have their own problems, but unless you want regulations of some sort you will have to tolerate too big to fail corps who in some ways rule your life.

No worries , scythes or pitchforks have not been sighted amongst the rabble decrying greed. Plutocracy sleeps comfortably

No worries , scythes or pitchforks have not been sighted amongst the rabble decrying greed. Plutocracy sleeps comfortably

Prices can and do get quickly compared and changed. Happens all the time. But there is no denying specific paragraphs were cut and pasted to make a point. It's OK, people can pick the point up, fairly rapidly.

Sure these companies want control, they want a constant stream of income from you. That's the key word at the end - you. Spend your money wisely. Yes you have a choice.

What to do about "it"? I've got it. More government regulation!! We never "pay" for that.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

But now you've raised it, Oz petrol companies get investigated all of the time for independently raising the price of petrol on the same day by the same amount, but there has never been a proven case of collusion...but it's extraordinary coincidence, isn't it ?

I ran a Shell Station in the 1980's. It's easy to prove collusion (morally, not legally).....
When you see the station operator raising/lowering his price, just ask him why he's doing that. He'll tell you he got a call from Corporate to change the price and he has about 2 minutes to do it. I was just talking to a nearby station manager the other day and they said they had 2 minutes to get the pumps prices changed (the new digital pumps are monitored by the companies and they know in real time the prices and product in the ground) after receiving the call.
Find out the person's name that calls the stations and carry on from there.... you will find that ALL stations in the area get calls from their Corps almost synchronously.

Collusion or coincidence .. you decide.

Fix banking and reduce/end corporatism and things will change. Both sides have more in common with these two topics yet it's never addressed. Good find on the article.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
But there is no denying specific paragraphs were cut and pasted to make a point. It's OK, people can pick the point up, fairly rapidly.

Can't link the whole article, so have to pick paragraphs and point.

If Faux linked the same article and set "Large scale mathematical analysis provides no evidence of conspiracy", you'd be all over it like what sort of rash ?

Quote:
If Faux linked the same article and set "Large scale mathematical analysis provides no evidence of conspiracy", you'd be all over it like what sort of rash ?

Of course he would.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear

When you see the station operator raising/lowering his price, just ask him why he's doing that. He'll tell you he got a call from Corporate to change the price and he has about 2 minutes to do it.

In this day and age, why doesn't the Corporate just make the change themselves? Isn't it all connected to a computer and connected to the Internet?

Hilarious and easily led. The whole 'left and right' thing is just another tool that is used to divide us.

And we're so easy around here...

Quote:
The whole 'left and right' thing is just another tool that is used to divide us.

So true. It's disgusting. People are waking up though. I liked Trump's comment the other day. He said the country has a fever. He also acknowledged the systemic fraud and corruption in banking. That's about all he said I agreed with lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back