1 million miles on Mobil 1??? What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Ken4:
On the same website, it says here that Mobil 1 is made from crude oil:

It's common knowledge that PAO is made from ethylene gas molecules. That's a far cry from "Mobil 1 is made from crude oil."

quote:

Originally posted by Ken4:
On the same website, it says here that Mobil 1 is made from crude oil:

http://www.prod.mobil.com/maff/world/uk/automotive/images/p9main.gif

Ethylene is the gas that PAO's are synthesized from.

As far as the test.As was mentioned-any true synthetic like Amsoil, and possibly RP (Not really enough info on Redline for me). Could have accomplished this test with drain intervals probably less than 10K miles or so. Changing dino oils at perhaps 4K or so probably would have made the test with very easy driving and lower ambient temps. I'm afraid deposits and wear would have been significant though. I'm concerned that the level of Moly in Redline will ultimately lead to corrosion/deposits.

I wonder how many BMW's started the test- I'm guessing one or more probably did not make the 1000000 miles.
As usual I am neither a gung supporter or detractor of Mobil 1. Just trying to be objective.
smile.gif

[ July 04, 2003, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: Al ]

Most testing like the BMW event is carried out on computerised test bed "cycled" 24 hours on simulated real road profiles. This has been done for at least the last 25 years that I know of by the Germans

I wonder if they would post some of their UOA's on this site?
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Doug Hillary:
Hi,

I have run heavy diesel engines out to over 1 million miles with very little wear. On semi synthetic oils at 25000 mile drains!

Currently I have a number of engines nearing 600000 miles on Delvac 1. Oil changes are done at 62000 miles along with filters and I use a by-pass centrifuge now as well for soot containment

Detroit Diesel took a valve cover off one engine yesterday at 550000 miles and it was as "clean as a whistle" inside - well almost anyway

Most testing like the BMW event is carried out on computerised test bed "cycled" 24 hours on simulated real road profiles. This has been done for at least the last 25 years that I know of by the Germans

Regards

What is the size of the oil sump on the average truck (Total oil capacity)

Hi,

The oil system's capacity is 38 litres at OC including the two Donaldson ELF filters. The centrifuge capacity is zero of course
These ( my ) engines turn over at 1650 rpm at 100 kmh. The average speed against distance at sale is about 80 kmh. Most running is in top gear (70%) most of it in cruise

You are correct too on the BMW in-line and MB V8 and Porsche sump capacities

Euro truck/diesel engine builders have long favoured smaller sumps ( 22> lts ) but are shifting from that stance now. They are also recommending using only low viscosity 5w-30 synthetics and are using centrifuges too

Regards

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
What is the size of the oil sump on the average truck (Total oil capacity)

This is something that people tend to overlook when it comes to really LONG extended drains with cars. Now that European cars are starting to push 15,000+ mile oil changes with their on board computers, look at the size of the sump on these cars. The water cooled Porsche flat six holds 12 quarts (if my memory is correct). Mercedes V6 and V8 engines hold 9 quarts. I think BMW is around 7 on its inline engines, and even more on the V8s.

There is no doubt that oils designed to meet the extended drain requirements of these engines are top notch oils, but the large sump capacity is a major factor in the equation that allows such long oil drains. When you see American made cars coming with sump capacities that are more than 4-5 quarts (and owner's manuals that require the use of synthetic oils) is when you'll know US car companies are getting serious about extended drains.

It really is strange that more US car companies don't go with larger oil capacities. Even a move from 4 up to 5 quarts on many engines would extend the life of the oil by a decent amount.

I guess they figure the consumer doesn't want to have to buy that extra quart of oil every oil change though. Nor do the dealers want to have to give them the extra quart if they are the ones doing the oil change.

I know there are probably more, but the only American car engine I know of with a very huge oil capacity is the 90-95 Corvette ZR1. It's LT5 engine has four cams and 32 valves, and uses 12 quarts of oil.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
It really is strange that more US car companies don't go with larger oil capacities. Even a move from 4 up to 5 quarts on many engines would extend the life of the oil by a decent amount.

I agree. Its like people who buy a low powered microwave. If it takes the 500 watt microwave 5 min to cook something that takes the 1000 watt microwave 1 min, which one uses less power? If they increased oil sump capacities, longer oil life, which means increase in oil life.

Anyone know how often they changed the oil? BMW recomendations? This is a Missing piece of information on the site. Why not share such knowledge with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back