1% Fuel In Oil Sample....

Status
Not open for further replies.
My latest oil sample from blackstone showed 1% fuel in oil. They weren't real concerned and said that it was caused from idling or short trips in the truck. After thinking about it, I only work about 4 miles from my house and since summer began I have Idled it more if I had the dogs with me for the A/C etc. Is anyone esle seeing similar numbers? I am not real worried about it, just curious. Thanks!

1% is nothing to worry about. If it get to 2.5 to 3% then you need to be concerned, and find the source.

The Engine was Warm I had taken it about 200 miles 4-5 hrs prior. I changed the air filter as it needed changing when I changed the oil this time. I will run it and take another sample when i change again. Thanks for the input. I know 1% isin't a real concern as of yet. I had a "Trace" a few samples back as well.

OK, Here is the sample Results. 4,000 miles on the oil

Aluminum 4
Chromium 0
Iron 9 ( Very low compared to my samples of Non JD oil)
Copper 1
Lead 1
Tin 0
Moly 89
Nickel, Manganese, Silver, Titanium, Barium All 0
Potassium 2
Boron 92
Silicone 5
Sodium 4
Calcium 3665
Magnesium 15
Phosphrus 991
Zinc 1306

Viscosity 75.1
Flashpoint 405
Fuel 1.0
Antifreeze 0
Water 0
Insoluables 0.3

My Truck

2007 Dodge 5.9l Cummins 53,000 total miles.

UPDATE: I did write blackstone and asked for advice. They asked me if I had started the engine just prior to changing the oil, like 5 minutes or less and sure enough, it had sat all day and I started it to drive it up on the blocks, shut it off, pulled sample. It ran for maybe one minute before I shut it down again. They are 99% sure thats where it came from. I thought since I had driven it good that morning, and it was a warm day that it would be OK. THey told me to pull the sample when it was HOT. Lesson learned! LOL

Want to get a really good sample?

Get a Fumoto valve, run the engine until it's fully warmed up, and take a "live" sample while the engine is still running.

Make sure to clean the valve before taking the sample. Many people cap the valve so there is no dirt intrusion between samples.

Make sure you tell Blackstone of your sample method. But the "live" method is about as good as it get's, because there is less stratification to deal with and most all the stuff stays in suspension better.

roperteacher: That's a heckuva good UOA for 4K miles. Culda run it another 1K miles I think. What filter are you using?

Jim, I use the Fleetguard Stratopore Premium Filter. I could actually go probably another 5,000 on it, but I like to do changes more frequently.

Originally Posted By: MarkC
Change the air filter, if you haven't done it in the past 8-10 thousand miles.

I fail to see a connection between fuel in engine oil and a dirty air filter.

IMO air filter are changed much too frequently. I too was guilty of the same practice till I installed air restriction gauges. The gauge does not even start to move, let alone reach the redline till about 30k mi. I live in a big city and the air is fairly dusty.

I think if the air restriction was high it would cause a load on the engine and more fuel would be pumped to maintain pwer etc?

With electronically controlled engines the manifold pressure is monitored and I don't think the ECM would permit overfueling i.e. if enough air is not available to support combustion then the ECM will cut down on the fuel, regardless of whether the operator is asking for more power.

Originally Posted By: roperteacher
UPDATE: I did write blackstone and asked for advice. They asked me if I had started the engine just prior to changing the oil, like 5 minutes or less and sure enough, it had sat all day and I started it to drive it up on the blocks, shut it off, pulled sample. It ran for maybe one minute before I shut it down again. They are 99% sure thats where it came from. I thought since I had driven it good that morning, and it was a warm day that it would be OK. THey told me to pull the sample when it was HOT. Lesson learned! LOL

Help me understand what Blackstone is saying. Are they saying that when you start up the engine the engine oil gets diluted with fuel to the extent of 1% (and the fuel evaporates when the oil gets hot) or are they saying when you started up the engine a bit of raw fuel entered the crankcase and your sample happened to pick up this raw fuel?

I guess it could go either waY but my bet is that if you don't get the truck to operating temps then the fuel is not burned off I guess. NORMALLY I change the oil HOT but this time it sat most of the day and all I did was start it, drive up on my ramps and shut down. I am not real worried and will re sample at the 3,000 mile mark.

Originally Posted By: roperteacher
I guess it could go either waY but my bet is that if you don't get the truck to operating temps then the fuel is not burned off I guess. NORMALLY I change the oil HOT but this time it sat most of the day and all I did was start it, drive up on my ramps and shut down. I am not real worried and will re sample at the 3,000 mile mark.

Blackstone's explanation, as you state it, sounds really fishy. If fuel gets "burned off" when the oil gets to operating temperature, then oil sampled hot will never show any fuel. I am not buying this explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back