1 failed lifter....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Gawd. That makes the Cummins Killer Dowel Pin look like a minor inconvenience.

Most diesel manufacturers these days are moving toward rear-geartrain engines (European designs) for emissions purposes... so this sort of thing will only become more common. Now that the Cummins engines in Dodge trucks have gone to the rear geartrain design, a lifter failure will also require engine removal and major disassembly (though not QUITE as major as in the case of this Powerstroke).

Similar issues with Mercedes and Volvo truck engines. Can't say about GM/Isuzu... but I suspect they're no better from a serviceability standpoint.

Vudeos
LOL.gif

How is a rear driven cam any more emissions friendly than a front driven cam?

Is the new cummins 6.7 a rear drive cam?

Sound like a good way to complicate a relatively simple design.
Maybe the did it for noise reduction?
I know the Cummins and Duramax common rail diesels can suffer from objectionable noise due to cam/crank/injector pump backlash.

Originally Posted By: Rabbler

I know the Cummins and Duramax common rail diesels can suffer from objectionable noise due to cam/crank/injector pump backlash.
If they want a quiet engine then get a Gasoline. *UGH*

Originally Posted By: Rabbler

The location of the geartrain has nothing to do with emissions, in and of itself. But European diesels are generally quite a bit cleaner than their American counterparts, as (some) emissions laws over there are a few years ahead. As emissions regulations tighten on this side of the pond, several manufacturers are bringing over their European designs rather than re-inventing the wheel. Cabover trucks are the norm over there, hence rear geartrain engines are the norm. Rear geartrains are not ideal in conventianal American trucks from a serviceability standpoint... but they work fine until something breaks. So that's what we're stuck with.

And yes, the new Cummins 6.7 has the rear geartrain.

I may have spoken too soon about that rear geartrain in the dodge pickup. I know that the ISB engine has gone to a rear geartrain for industrial and agricultural applications- and I would THINK the same would be true of the ISB engines in Dodge trucks. But I haven't actually looked on over (I left the Cummins dealership in 2000). So somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

wabbout just match marking the crank adapter to the crank to avoid pulling it? 3 dots from a center punch is all it would take.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back