1.5 yr Old Tires cracking already

I have a Toyota Sienna with less than 15000 miles on the OEM Firestone FR 710 tires. The Tires are already starting to show small cracks near the shoulder of the tire. They have a build date on 30th week 2020. I know they are a low performing tire. Do I have any recourse from the manufacturer? I won’t put these back on even if I got a free set of them. No tire shine was used on them by me.

Not from the auto maker…but they should have a warranty from the tire manufacturer. Don’t I sometimes get a warranty brochure from the tire or battery maker in with my new car booklets?
No?
^^This. My 300ZX had the bundle of new purchase paperwork in the owner's manual folder, and it came with a warranty pamphlet for the oem installed tires.

If you're talking fine hairline cracks, they aren't structural and are harmless. Have them on some of my tires too.

IMG_4229.JPG

^^This. My 300ZX had the bundle of new purchase paperwork in the owner's manual folder, and it came with a warranty pamphlet for the oem installed tires.
I looked in the folder and didn’t find it there other than a generic booklet with all their OEM suppliers phone numbers on there. I was hoping maybe discount tire could get a little credit for a different brand.

Post pics, then we can all see what is up.

15k. on a Sienna? halfway done, aren’t they?

Yes they look like that, but on the top of the sidewall.
Those would be OK. It's a little early for that to happen, but certainly nothing to worry about.

HOWEVER, you might get the tire manufacturer to exchange them. Call them and see what they will do. ONLY THEN go to the tire shop and exchange them. Doing it that way allows the tire shop enough flexibility to exchange them for another brand (if that is what you want). Doing it any other way won't allow the tire shop any flexibility.

And for those who wonder about warranty on OE tires. There isn't a treadwear warranty (with a few exceptions) on OE tires, but there is a Material and Workmanship Warranty and this would be covered under that. Weather cracking is covered for 3 years if I remember correctly.

Post pics, then we can all see what is up.

15k. on a Sienna? halfway done, aren’t they?
Good point, but they have around 6/32 left on them. I’m not sure what the OEM tires started with vs the Aftermarket version of the same tire.

Those would be OK. It's a little early for that to happen, but certainly nothing to worry about.

HOWEVER, you might get the tire manufacturer to exchange them. Call them and see what they will do. ONLY THEN go to the tire shop and exchange them. Doing it that way allows the tire shop enough flexibility to exchange them for another brand (if that is what you want). Doing it any other way won't allow the tire shop any flexibility.

And for those who wonder about warranty on OE tires. There isn't a treadwear warranty (with a few exceptions) on OE tires, but there is a Material and Workmanship Warranty and this would be covered under that. Weather cracking is covered for 3 years if I remember correctly

And for those who wonder about warranty on OE tires. There isn't a treadwear warranty (with a few exceptions) on OE tires, but there is a Material and Workmanship Warranty and this would be covered under that. Weather cracking is covered for 3 years if I remember correctly.
So I should call Bridgestone Directly with the phone number provided in the pamphlet? I’m wanting to use Discount tire. Do I tell Bridgestone that I want a different brand when I call them? Thanks

Oilstudent24 said:

So I should call Bridgestone Directly with the phone number provided in the pamphlet? I’m wanting to use Discount tire. Do I tell Bridgestone that I want a different brand when I call them? Thanks.

No!!! Call Bridgestone with the number provided in the pamphlet - BUT - Do NOT tell Bridgestone what you intend to do. Let them tell you what they are willing to do. Hopefully they will only talk about adjusting the tires and not mention staying within the brand or brand family (ie Bridgestone). May be they will give you a reference number of some sort. If they do, only then go to Discount Tire and finish the transaction by allowing Discount Tire to adjust the tires, but be sure to mention to Discount Tire that you don't want the same brand. Discount Tire will probably be OK with that since they already have an authorization they can reference.

If they don't then go to Discount Tire and do NOT tell them about your conversation with Bridgestone and hopefully they will be willing to put you into another brand.

Last edited:
Ok. That sounds more reasonable. I figured there would be no way they would give any compensation for hopping brands. I will try that on Monday when corporate is open. Thanks for clarifying.

Last edited:
Back