1.4T Jetta Oil change - FCPeuro lifetime warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone of you euro guys use FCPeuro for the oil?

I was turned on to this company from some youtube guys, most likely getting kickback, but looking at the site everything seems to be on the up and up.

Markup on the oil isn't very high. Some other items are.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vw-audi-oil-change-kit-5w-40-liqui-moly-kit-04e115561h-4l

$50 oil change kit. (filter, good oil and drain plug). You run it and when its time for next oil change, you order it up pay about $50ish. Change the oil and mail the old oil back. It looks to be roughly $20-25 to ship oil back and they credit you. Rinse and repeat as long as the company doesn't go belly up. Even if they do $50 for oil and filter isn't really much of a lost to begin with.

Side note, the jetta is finally 3 years old and out of warranty. So i can start doing oil changes, originally we were doing 5-7.5k oil changes per dealer recommendations. Even if spec was 10k. I'm leaning on keeping 5k internals. Its a city driven car. What everything thoughts? I would normally look at the 1.8T E888 engines but those are different from my understanding.

You can go to any store and get the correct oil. I do my own oil changes for $20 for both oil and filter. You just have to watch for the sales.

Also watch what filter you are using. Most do not have the correct bypass rating. Such as Fram,Motorcraft,STP, etc. Most brands only have a 12PSI bypass while OEM is 36PSI. Mann and VW oil filters are the exact same thing with different paint jobs. Both can be found under $10 online.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
You can go to any store and get the correct oil. I do my own oil changes for $20 for both oil and filter. You just have to watch for the sales.

Also watch what filter you are using. Most do not have the correct bypass rating. Such as Fram,Motorcraft,STP, etc. Most brands only have a 12PSI bypass while OEM is 36PSI. Mann and VW oil filters are the exact same thing with different paint jobs. Both can be found under $10 online.

$20 for filter and oil... i'm hard press to find that for my common nissan/toyota cars. How are you finding that, plus are they VW 504 approved?

My understanding is Liquidmoly is like the boutique oils like Amsoil and Redline.

I'm not very versed on euros cars. We only got the car because it was DIRT cheap brand new.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bowlofturtle

$20 for filter and oil... i'm hard press to find that for my common nissan/toyota cars. How are you finding that, plus are they VW 504 approved?

My understanding is Liquidmoly is like the boutique oils like Amsoil and Redline.

I'm not very versed on euros cars. We only got the car because it was DIRT cheap brand new.
Yeah my car was dirt cheap too. Walmart had a pricing error or sale on Valvoline 5w40 with 502/505 certs. Picked up nearly 20 bottles for $10 a piece. The 1.4T only requires 502 certs.

Here's what BITOGers think of LM.

I been a customer of FCP since the early 2000's and have bought lots of parts for my cars. Their Life Time Warranty is great, last summer I redid the suspension
front and back and save lots of money. The only cost was the shipping charges and the price difference, the items where in the car for 12 years.

FCP is a good outfit - I use them for some things and yes, the "lifetime replacement" even includes oil even if it sounds odd. No reason that you couldn't have DIY'd your changes while in warranty - easy to just keep records (receipt, spreadsheet, etc.). It comes down to your annual mileage - most around town driving then sure, 5K works great and it's likely only ~2 changes a year. If you are a highway driver, you'd be changing too frequently/not necessary so you can go longer. With VW, just focus on approval, not weight e.g. VW504 00 (which are almost always 5W30).

$20...which oil and filter? I'd say that's unlikely for this car.

Liquimoly is not a boutique oil even if it seems like based on price and that it's imported. I use it in my Golf and have had great UOAs with it but I'd probalby have the same with basic M1/Castrol 0W40 VW502 00 oils. LM does make it v. easy to order the correct oil/approval and FCP Euro will sell it in kits that make this whole process v. easy...there is value in that vs. worrying about rebates, the drain plug from one outlet, the filter from another, etc. For a few times a year the couple extra bucks for a LM kit from FCP is well worth it in terms of hassle factor plus you can save some if you return the parts the next time.

Originally Posted by TiGeo

$20...which oil and filter? I'd say that's unlikely for this car.

Watch for sales. I stock pile when its cheap. $10 a jug Valvoline 5W40 MST. $10 Mann filter.

Originally Posted by TiGeo

Liquimoly is not a boutique oil even if it seems like based on price and that it's imported. I use it in my Golf and have had great UOAs with it but I'd probalby have the same with basic M1/Castrol 0W40 VW502 00 oils. LM does make it v. easy to order the correct oil/approval and FCP Euro will sell it in kits that make this whole process v. easy...there is value in that vs. worrying about rebates, the drain plug from one outlet, the filter from another, etc. For a few times a year the couple extra bucks for a LM kit from FCP is well worth it in terms of hassle factor plus you can save some if you return the parts the next time.

Do you change the plug every time?

Change the oil and mail the old oil back. It looks to be roughly $20-25 to ship oil back and they credit you.

Do you even mention you're shipping something that is a liquid and is potentially hazardous when dropping off?

I use FCP a lot. Their warranty is nice, but after footing the bill for shipping things back to them it's not worth it on some items.

Not sure what your car takes spec wise, (I'm assuming VW502) but Mobil 1 0w40 is very easy to find. Usually around $12 a jug after rebates. Many prefer Castrol, which is also easy to find, but never discounted from rebates. I get Mann or Mahle filters from either Rock Auto or FCP.

I bought some parts from them as well. Once was sent a wrong starter for my GTI, replacement was shipped fast and well handled.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Change the oil and mail the old oil back. It looks to be roughly $20-25 to ship oil back and they credit you.

Do you even mention you're shipping something that is a liquid and is potentially hazardous when dropping off?

Why would someone have to disclose anything to usps when shipping back used motor oil?

Originally Posted by BeerCan

Why would someone have to disclose anything to usps when shipping back used motor oil?

Around here they ask if there is any hazardous materials being shipped and they consider used motor oil just that

Originally Posted by BeerCan

Because if there is a leak or spill you could be subject to a $250,000 or whatever it is, fine.

Originally Posted by simple_gifts
Regarding shipping oil, blackstone deals with this and has a webpage

HERE

Letter is HERE

You're comparing a few teaspoons of oil sent in a specifically designed container and package, to gallons sent in an oil jug and cardboard box?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back