1.4T Jetta Oil change - FCPeuro lifetime warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amsoil ships 4 gallons containers in a box; It isn't that hard.

As stunning has this advice may sound, you could use the old containers the oil originally came in; containers specifically designed to holding oil for long periods of time.

This is Steven Lang. I study the long-term reliability of vehicles for a living. Let me give you the short answer on FCP.

It's a first class operation. Their customer services is excellent and I have recommended them for nearly 20 years. Even way back when they were called FCPGroton.

I would endorse them for an owner who fits these three criteria:

1) You are certain that you're going to keep your European daily driver for well over a decade.

2) You live in an area where the roads are rough.

3) You do your own wrenching.

If that's you then invest in a relationship with FCP. As others have mentioned elsewhere, it can also be a good fit for your dry consumables (brakes, air filters, wipers) that are tyically on discount at Rockauto.

The lifetime oil guarantee is more of a toss-up. The time spent packing everything up and going to the post office vs. watching for deals here and recycling locally is a tough barometer to measure. Your cost to send back varies and your access to the post office vs. a local recycler may vary as well. If the post office was down the street I would do it but the two nearby me are nearly seven miles away. I have over a half-dozen drop off points between here and there. I also have the luxury of waiting years to do this if I need to.

On an oil/filter cost basis, the near free deals we get here at BITOG combined with cheap oil filter bulk purchases elsewhere usually make that a better value proposition. It depends on the oil requirements of your vehicle and the marketplace.

So to sum up (almost typed sump up!), if one, two and three describe you and the post office is just down the street you may come out ahead by using FCP for your oil changes. They are a qualty operation and their customer service is excellent.

Hope this helps.

Steve

https://www.thedrive.com/the-hammer...t-amazon-by-offering-lifetime-guarantees

Originally Posted by simple_gifts

As stunning has this advice may sound, you could use the old containers the oil originally came in; containers specifically designed to holding oil for long periods of time.

Corporate shippers have special exceptions and authorization when it comes to shipping hazardous materials. You have to apply and get qualification. https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/hazardous-materials/agreement-form.html

Did you bother to read the articles I linked? Oil is not a hazardous material.

the link you provided in fedex not USPS

Last edited:
Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by simple_gifts

Corporate shippers have special exceptions and authorization when it comes to shipping hazardous materials. You have to apply and get qualification. https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/hazardous-materials/agreement-form.html

OP, this person is wrong. Just ignore.

You'd be fine shipping oil back. Zero legal issues whatsoever.

Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
Let me get this straight, mailing used motor oil to save $20 every oil change and jumping through all those hazmat issues?

I can't believe people do this - I certainly don't. Not worth the hassle to save a few bucks 3x a year.

I needed HazMat paperwork to open an Amazon box with 3 x 12 packs of Diet Pepsi yesterday
What a mess …
Told her I'm in town often enough to grab soft drinks

Originally Posted by TiGeo
Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
Let me get this straight, mailing used motor oil to save $20 every oil change and jumping through all those hazmat issues?

I can't believe people do this - I certainly don't. Not worth the hassle to save a few bucks 3x a year.

If you plan on ordering it from FCPeuro, why not? Sure its a lot more hassle than filling out a rebate.

I'm currently researching what good oils to use for my 1.4T and cheapest filter places.

Diet Pepsi will eat through steel. Definitely need HazMat paperwork to ship.

?

It comes in aluminum cans

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells

?

Aluminum doesn't rust.

?
Aluminum doesn't rust.

Yes, but here we go again with drawing conclusions based on incomplete knowledge. The soft drink does not contact the aluminum directly as there is a polymer coating inside the can which protects the aluminum from the contents,. If direct contact is made you'll get severe corrosion or at the very least a bad taste to the drink.

Same thing goes for most steel ("tin") cans as well.

Originally Posted by kschachn
?
Aluminum doesn't rust.

Yes, but here we go again with drawing conclusions based on incomplete knowledge. The soft drink does not contact the aluminum directly as there is a polymer coating inside the can which protects the aluminum from the contents,. If direct contact is made you'll get severe corrosion or at the very least a bad taste to the drink.

OK but maybe it went over your head because I didn't add a smiley, but my comment, Diet Pepsi will eat through steel. Definitely need HazMat paperwork to ship. was meant to be sarcasm.

Originally Posted by bowlofturtle
Anyone of you euro guys use FCPeuro for the oil?

I was turned on to this company from some youtube guys, most likely getting kickback, but looking at the site everything seems to be on the up and up.

Markup on the oil isn't very high. Some other items are.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vw-audi-oil-change-kit-5w-40-liqui-moly-kit-04e115561h-4l

$50 oil change kit. (filter, good oil and drain plug). You run it and when its time for next oil change, you order it up pay about $50ish. Change the oil and mail the old oil back. It looks to be roughly $20-25 to ship oil back and they credit you. Rinse and repeat as long as the company doesn't go belly up. Even if they do $50 for oil and filter isn't really much of a lost to begin with.

Side note, the jetta is finally 3 years old and out of warranty. So i can start doing oil changes, originally we were doing 5-7.5k oil changes per dealer recommendations. Even if spec was 10k. I'm leaning on keeping 5k internals. Its a city driven car. What everything thoughts? I would normally look at the 1.8T E888 engines but those are different from my understanding.

Never used the for oil changes but have for parts (plugs, cabin / Engine air filters, valve cover/gasket). i use them specifically because the denote OE vs OEM and their lifetime warranty on parts which typically have a 2 yr warranty.

Originally Posted by macarose
This is Steven Lang. I study the long-term reliability of vehicles for a living. Let me give you the short answer on FCP.

It's a first class operation. Their customer services is excellent and I have recommended them for nearly 20 years. Even way back when they were called FCPGroton.

I would endorse them for an owner who fits these three criteria:

1) You are certain that you're going to keep your European daily driver for well over a decade.

2) You live in an area where the roads are rough.

3) You do your own wrenching.

If that's you then invest in a relationship with FCP. As others have mentioned elsewhere, it can also be a good fit for your dry consumables (brakes, air filters, wipers) that are tyically on discount at Rockauto.

The lifetime oil guarantee is more of a toss-up. The time spent packing everything up and going to the post office vs. watching for deals here and recycling locally is a tough barometer to measure. Your cost to send back varies and your access to the post office vs. a local recycler may vary as well. If the post office was down the street I would do it but the two nearby me are nearly seven miles away. I have over a half-dozen drop off points between here and there. I also have the luxury of waiting years to do this if I need to.

On an oil/filter cost basis, the near free deals we get here at BITOG combined with cheap oil filter bulk purchases elsewhere usually make that a better value proposition. It depends on the oil requirements of your vehicle and the marketplace.

So to sum up (almost typed sump up!), if one, two and three describe you and the post office is just down the street you may come out ahead by using FCP for your oil changes. They are a qualty operation and their customer service is excellent.

Hope this helps.

Steve

https://www.thedrive.com/the-hammer...t-amazon-by-offering-lifetime-guarantees

I've read anecdotal comments about how Amazon warehouses product where say counterfeit parts get intermingled with genuine parts. Then there's the nuance between different types of sellers on Amazon which made it difficult to determine which was not a third-party fly-by-night outfit. I ran across this when looking for spark plugs. For me it's just not worth the hassle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn
?
Aluminum doesn't rust.

Back when the wife (girlfriend at the time) and I first turned 21, we bought some canned Redds apple ale. Never again!

Either it had no coating or the apple ate through the coating and was eating the aluminum!

Tasted like [censored] from the tin man. Just like Jasper engines, never again! I buy it in bottles now. Excellent for marinating chicken.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back