1/4 quart in 2,000 miles? Significant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in October I gave Mobil 1 10W-30 a try on a 6 month interval (less than 3K). I've been checking it regularly because I've heard all of the high mileage consumption stories. 90% of those miles were racked up on "around town" short trips with a couple 100 mile trips in between.

Today I checked and it was about 1/4 of a quart low. When I went 3-4 months / 1,500 miles on Pennzoil 5W-30 the dipstick never showed a change. I checked under the hood and under the car, it's definatly not leaking and it doesn't blow smoke at all. The engine is a 2.4L DOHC (GM) with 83,700 miles.

Is this just normal for a 83,000 mile engine? I'm thinking about going back to Pennzoil 5W-30 and shorter drains or Mobil 1 Drive Clean Plus.

If the oil "use" is substantially equal to or less than 1Qt per oil change interval (OCI) then it is of no significance. Just my view on things, YMMV.

This is not only normal, it is actually pretty good. And it isn't surprising that you'd go through a little more oil after changing brands. You likely cleaned off the buildup on your seals with the Mobil 1 oil, and see this slight increase.

You have nothing to worry about.

I'm with dickwells -- I've used the same rough yardstick. My BMW was using about a quart between 6,000 mi oil changes even when relatively new. I wouldn't be concerned with your oil consumption -- just the opposite, actually.

Obviously all cars are different. I believe Amsoil used to say that a sound engine should use 1 to 2 oz per 1000 miles. I am not saying that's the yardstick. I'm just stating what I have heard.

I can mention a number of cars that I am familiar with that use about 2 oz per 1K miles. I think the key is the oil use relatively close to what it was when the vehicle was broken in.
smile.gif

Well that makes me feel a little better. So should I add 1/4 a quart of oil or wait until it's 1/2? I'm considering changing it out within the next 30 days if there happens to be a nice warm day.

I wouldn't add anything until the dipstick got down to the add mark or below. At least once I would take a "wait and see" attitude. Wait and see if the oil consumption drops off, unless you were having NO consumption with dino oil.
You will replenish additives by adding that 1/4 or 1/2 quart, but not enough to make a big difference.

Everyone, OIL consumption is normal for any engine! Excessive oil consumption is a problem (ie >1QT/1000). I have never understood the reasons completely but have owned a few high miles non oil burners and one leased BMW low mile consumer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back