1/4" Drive Cordless Electric Ratchet

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of these days I'm going to get me one of those. I've been on the fence about purchasing a pneumatic one(1/4") or electric.

Why would you want that for 1/4"? Not being argumentative, but it seems to me that the entire benefit of 1/4" is that everything is light and compact. I love using 1/4" stuff, even on bigger fasteners until torque doesn't allow. But I love it because it isn't bulky, which that thing is...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Why would you want that for 1/4"? Not being argumentative, but it seems to me that the entire benefit of 1/4" is that everything is light and compact. I love using 1/4" stuff, even on bigger fasteners until torque doesn't allow. But I love it because it isn't bulky, which that thing is...

I'm an aircraft mech doing heavy maintenance. We constantly work on assemblies that are in very tight spaces. A 3/8" drive unit is too bulky for this kind of work.

I often use a compact 1/4" air ratchet, but it's a hassle to drag an air hose inside the aircraft, or up on top, etc. With this, I can just throw it in my tool bag.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
I have an 18v Rigid cordless, but it is a standard pistol grip. That Milwaukee only has a peak torque of 30 ft lb, which seems a bit low.

Depends on what you want to use it for. Most of the fasteners we work with are torqued in inch-lbs. 30 lb-ft is more than adequate for what I'd be using it for. Besides that, we use torque wrenches on everything. Snug it with the power driver or ratchet, then come behind and torque with a calibrated torque wrench

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

I often use a compact 1/4" air ratchet, but it's a hassle to drag an air hose inside the aircraft, or up on top, etc. With this, I can just throw it in my tool bag.

When I was a tech I had a 1/4" no name impact, and a 1/4" Snap-on air ratchet just for working on car interiors. Both were mounted on thin "whip hoses" to make them easier to maneuver, and as they and the hoses were never used under the hood, remained clean and did not get interiors dirty.

I spent money on one of the earlier rechargeable 1/4 ratchets (mid/late 90s) and it was pathetic. Everything was still NiCad back then, and I seem to remember it being 3.6V. Horrible waste of money, as I was prone to back then.

The assembly cell that I support at work has started to utilize these. They are working great thus far but you have to be aware of the max torque and your assembly limits.....

Do yourself a favor and purchase thru mr rebates or etc.... And use a cc with points to maximize your savings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back