1/2 Ton PU Diesel Resale Value

Zee09

$200 Site Donor 2023
Had many 2500-3500 Diesels
Sold nearing the warranty period and nearing 4 years- Incredible resale value.

That said let's talk about a new Chevy-GMC 1/2-ton diesels 3L models
I am not bringing in the RAM for this conversation.
Will the 1/2-ton diesels have high resale like the bigger trucks?

I am thinking, no? Am I off base?

I think for the time being you are right. The diesel has its advantages if you need to tow or haul heavy and in hill country but the capacity of a 1/2 ton suspension, frame and brakes limit that already and mid to large V8 gassers are capable of doing anything the rest of the truck can. Now if they phase out V8 motors in 1/2 tons that could change everything.

If you mean the Ram Ecodiesel they have such a bad reputation that any informed buyer wouldn’t want them! The Colorado/Canyon are too small to tow a lot, and (IMO) the Cummins Titan is in the same boat, just not enough drivetrain, tires, & brakes to tow over 7500. Honestly, why anyone would want a used DPF diesel anything is beyond me, they’re a financial time bomb.

I think for the time being you are right. The diesel has its advantages if you need to tow or haul heavy and in hill country but the capacity of a 1/2 ton suspension, frame and brakes limit that already and mid to large V8 gassers are capable of doing anything the rest of the truck can. Now if they phase out V8 motors in 1/2 tons that could change everything.
That is what i was thinking plus we have hybrids too. Then many 1/2 tons will run on 87 octane and diesel now here is far more expensive.

It really is no surprise that certain poorly engineered, light duty V6 diesels don't hold up. Look at the big trucks, nearly all use an inline 6. One major reason is the ability to have sufficient rod bearing area without compromise.
I think more of it has to do with the emissions equipment instead of the engine architecture itself. Modern diesels are starting to earn a reputation of unreliability and being expensive to fix. This is why the prices of pre-emission diesel trucks are out of control. $30,000 7.3L PowerStroke or 5.9L Cummins Ram anyone? All of the landscaping fleets I work with run gas V8 trucks, it only took a couple 5 digit diesel repair bills and weeks of down time for them to never buy diesel again. The initial purchase price of a diesel truck usually paid for itself down the road in longevity and fuel efficiency while towing (7.3L Powerstroke F250 can get 22mpg if running correctly). Now they have insanely expensive initial purchase prices, expensive repair bills, poor fuel economy, and longevity is not as much of a factor. The only guys I see running diesels (for work) need them for consistent heavy towing. Most municipalities are starting to avoid them as well.

Another sad factor is diesel costs 30% more than gas, might get 30% better mileage, and the diesel truck costs 30% more to buy, & 30% more (minimum) to keep running! The math doesn’t make sense anymore, unless you’re driving a semi or a railroad locomotive…

There are no Titan XDs at all on the Nissan website so no diesels. The GMC salesman I know says people buy the Sierra 1500 diesel for the better mileage not to tow heavy.

The OP asked about new 1/2 ton diesel trucks, the 3.0 diesel in a 1500 Sierra doesn't even cost $1000 more than a 5.3 Ecotec3 gas so it certainly doesn't cost 30% more to buy.

It is interesting to me that the Ford 300 inline 6 gasser of the 60's and 70's was known for very good pulling torque, somewhat mediocre acceleration , mediocre fuel economy, and powered everything from pickups, stake body trucks, school busses, delivery trucks, construction machinery, etc. for a number of years.
You would think with current technology, an inline 6 gasser (coupled to an appropriate current technology transmission), would be a viable package for certain heavier hauling applications in some trucks.

It is interesting to me that the Ford 300 inline 6 gasser of the 60's and 70's was known for very good pulling torque, somewhat mediocre acceleration , mediocre fuel economy, and powered everything from pickups, stake body trucks, school busses, delivery trucks, construction machinery, etc. for a number of years.
You would think with current technology, an inline 6 gasser (coupled to an appropriate current technology transmission), would be a viable package for certain heavier hauling applications in some trucks.

I'm thinking this might be the thought behind Stellantis' new 3.0L Twin Turbo "Hurricane" i-6.

According to a Nissan rep and a few articles Nissan stumbled with the Titan XD. As I understand it, the engine had to be modified to fit the titan, second they handicapped it with a 4-speed auto when everything else went 6 plus speeds years ago.

Back