1/2 qt. over fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
Nov 16, 2002
Messages
35,295
Location
NJ
Will it hurt? I used the 5qt jug and over filled by I'd say a 1/2 qt. I'm above the full line on the dipstick. I don't notice anything abnormal..
 

Patman

Staff member
Joined
May 27, 2002
Messages
22,037
Location
Guelph, Ontario
To double check, go out and drive your car and then immediately check the dipstick after shutting off the engine. Look for tiny bubbles on the dipstick which would indicate it's overfull. If you don't see those, don't worry. I hope you're sending off a UOA of your previous oil! [Smile] I'll be changing my oil tomorrow, it'll be 4800 miles on Schaeffer 10w30 with a Carquest premium filter.
 

buster

Thread starter
Joined
Nov 16, 2002
Messages
35,295
Location
NJ
Thanks Patman. Yes I am sending it off but I screwed it up again!! I am an idiot! I was distracted and by the time I went back under the car, the oil was drained into the pan. So I took the sample from the pan and filled the bottle with it. I am so angry bc this is the second time now that I've messed up a potential sample. I don't know what my problem is. Anyway, the oil had only 5k miles on it. 60% was highway and the other 40% was really hard driving. I have wanted to send off more samples over the last few months but money has been tight and I need to be careful. I am running M1 now and will try and go to 10k (I've said this before) with this one. I also had a 3oz dose of Rx with the sample I just sent off.
 

buster

Thread starter
Joined
Nov 16, 2002
Messages
35,295
Location
NJ
quote:
no.
[LOL!] I love answers like this, straight to the point. In all seriousness, thanks. Patman, are the bubbles really, really small? I just checked it and there where "microscopic" bubbles in the oil along the dipstick. The were so small thought they might have been something else. Hope not.
 
Joined
Jun 2, 2003
Messages
23,591
Hey buster, I don't know what car you drive, but in my Audi 1/2 a quart over could be a problem. Oil might get into the exhaust and ruin the cats (Yes, I have two [Wink] ).
 

Al

Joined
Jun 8, 2002
Messages
19,535
Location
Elizabethtown, Pa
quote:
Originally posted by buster: Thanks Patman. Yes I am sending it off but I screwed it up again!! I am an idiot! I was distracted and by the time I went back under the car, the oil was drained into the pan. So I took the sample from the pan and filled the bottle with it. I am so angry bc this is the second time now that I've messed up a potential sample. I don't know what my problem is. Anyway, the oil had only 5k miles on it. 60% was highway and the other 40% was really hard driving. I have wanted to send off more samples over the last few months but money has been tight and I need to be careful. I am running M1 now and will try and go to 10k (I've said this before) with this one. I also had a 3oz dose of Rx with the sample I just sent off.
I know how you feel but I would pitch the sample [Frown]
 

buster

Thread starter
Joined
Nov 16, 2002
Messages
35,295
Location
NJ
quote:
I know how you feel but I would pitch the sampl
I probably should have but I sent it anyway. It might look better then when I had tide in the last sample. I can't believe I screwed it up again. When I change the oil, I'm usually in a rush and that is when I mess things up. Lets see what happens. My next M1 analysis should be good.
 
Joined
May 1, 2003
Messages
9,448
Location
USA
Anything less then a quart is not a concern. If you go over a quart you could have problems. It is common on wet sump systems to over fill them for raceing purposes and then drain it out at the end of the event. I do not recomend makeing a habit of this though. An accumulator is a better idea. I know you did by acident. We have all done this at least once. I did it the other day and had to drop some out. Instead of checking my owners manual I took the parts guy at his word on capcity. Well he gave me the specification for the V6. I drove it a quart over for 40 miles and drained it the next day.
 

Patman

Staff member
Joined
May 27, 2002
Messages
22,037
Location
Guelph, Ontario
That oil sample is practically useless though, you might as well not have bothered. [Frown] I'll let someone else field the bubble question, like Molekule, he knows for sure since this is his method of determining how high he can fill his oil.
 
Joined
Aug 15, 2002
Messages
2,441
Location
Indiana
I don't know if the bubble method is completely reliable. I was about 1/3 quart over and saw bubbles on my dipstick (not a whole lot of bubbles, just a few). So I drained some oil out and got it down to the right level. I did the bubble test again and they were still there. I posted about this a week ago and Bob suggested that it might be the oil.
 
Joined
Dec 1, 2002
Messages
231
Location
Ontario
Ok how did he screw up the sample again? I will be doing mine in a week or two on a small block Chevy and would like to get it the best way possible out of the drain plug. This is my six month filter change for Amsoil then it is off to new years for the complete change unless UOA says other wise.
 

Patman

Staff member
Joined
May 27, 2002
Messages
22,037
Location
Guelph, Ontario
The sample is messed up because there are all kinds of contaminents in that oil pan, dust, dirt, old oil, and if he's like me, he uses the same pan for antifreeze too, so there could be that in there also. In other words, the sample he sent in is virtually useless unfortunately. [Frown]
 
Joined
Jan 21, 2003
Messages
1,759
Location
Elizabeth City NC
Now wait a minute. You think the oil sample is contaminated because it was first drained into an oil drain tank. I only drain oil into mine and I drain it completely when I am finished. It is completely closed at all times so the only thing that could contaminate oil is the oil residue left from other changes which would be almost nil. I guess I haven't been on this site long enough to be this much of a perfectionist. [Big Grin] Drain antifreeze into it! Never!! [No no]
 

buster

Thread starter
Joined
Nov 16, 2002
Messages
35,295
Location
NJ
I'm not sure how contaminated it is. I never drained antifreeze in it and it has been sealed shut so who knows. Like you said, only left over oil should be in there. Half the bottle is from the drain, and the other half is from the oil pan. When I change the oil I usually move at a very fast pace. I was rushing and completely forgot to fill the bottle. For some reason I become the biggest air head when I change the oil. To be perfectly honest, I don't usually have sampling on my mind when changing it. I'm failing all of my oil buddies. [Frown] [ June 24, 2003, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: buster ]
 
Joined
Apr 21, 2003
Messages
1,432
Location
Virginia
quote:
For some reason I become the biggest air head when I change the oil.
[Off Topic!] Same here...you know those all-in-one drain pan / 10 qt holding tub things you can get (made by Blitz or whatever)? Well, don't forget to open the little air relief plug, or the used oil won't go down into the tub! At least not quickly enough to avoid getting those volcano/"old faithful" bloops of oil shooting up all over everything as the air comes out to make room for the oil. I felt stupid going back into the house after that one...
 

Patman

Staff member
Joined
May 27, 2002
Messages
22,037
Location
Guelph, Ontario
Well I may have messed up my sample tonight due to the heat of the oil! See my thread in the General and Off Topic section.
 
Joined
Jan 1, 2003
Messages
658
Location
EU
Buster, as you say, "only left over oil should be in there". However, what remains is going to be the thickest, most crud-laden fraction remaining from the last time that you drained the pan.
 
Joined
Aug 2, 2002
Messages
5,785
Location
Dixie
Buster, Strongly suggest getting a Fumoto Drain Valve, which will make oil changes cleaner and neater and easily allow you to drain oil samples without burning yourself [Wink] The one I have on my '95 Tacoma fits most toyotas, so you can use it on your next vehicle as well. TooSlick
 

buster

Thread starter
Joined
Nov 16, 2002
Messages
35,295
Location
NJ
If I did overfill too much, how would I be able to tell if I did any damage?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top