1,000 HP E85 Mustang - oil & fuel info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vicious Mustang custom build discussed at Leno's Garage. Oil info, fuel dilution, fuel consumption - all discussed as the video progresses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvAqEGbkx5E
laugh.gif

Whether or not you like the build (I'm on the fence), the guys that did it know their stuff. Serious top dollar parts extremely well integrated.

Bottom line is at this level of HP, they have fuel dilution issues and short OCI's Brad Penn 20W-50 to keep it alive in a dry sump system. Cute how Jay says 0W-40 and 5W-40's are thin oils. Of course many of his ancient race cars run thicker oil with 19-teens technologies ...

Last edited:
Indy Cars run off the shelf 0W40 oils in most cases (class requirement to use commercially available oil.) Aussie V8 supercars run 30 and 40W oils depending on the race. And I'd be very surprised if any nascar team runs anything heavier than a 40W.

The higher the quality of your engine build, the less slack there is that's required to be taken up by oil.

Originally Posted By: JFAllen
And I'd be very surprised if any nascar team runs anything heavier than a 40W.

Redline 0W-5 when qualifying.

Jay Leno said:
"Is 20W-50 oil OK to run in a modern engine with this tight of *tolerances*?
09.gif
spankme2.gif

He obviously doesn't visit this site!
grin.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Whether or not you like the build (I'm on the fence), the guys that did it know their stuff. Serious top dollar parts extremely well integrated...

The execution looked pretty excellent...

They should have stuck with blue.

Since you brought it up - I don’t like it. I’m sure that matters not to anyone involved but too much square and round going on... I’ll also never understand why someone who’s going to replace nearly everything starts with a nice original car...

I’d much rather have:

or even

Before I start, I will comment that my first car was a '66 Mustang. Before I got rid of it, it had a 302 and a Toploader in it. Yea, it was a "Why did I ever get rid of it?" car.
I will also comment that Leno was one of the better late-light talk hosts, as compared to the trash that is currently on the airwaves.
I watched the whole video. I try to keep an open mind and I'll say that I like the car, even if I never could afford something like that.
Just by his comments, you can tell that Leno isn't a real wrench-turner, but a collector and a driver instead. I find it's interesting that there are 10,000 hours put into the car, but I guess you wouldn't have any problem finding a buyer for something like that. I have no problem with somebody taking a classic car like that and making it into the finished product that they now have.

Also, related to the oil and OCI...

What is the deal with “Brad Penn” is that now called “Penngrade 1” and what is it doing that any other 20-50 wouldn’t do? I’m pretty sure most E85 capable vehicles call for about twice as frequent service on E85...

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
What is the deal with “Brad Penn” is that now called “Penngrade 1” and what is it doing that any other 20-50 wouldn’t do?

It's been so long,
but I seem to recall Brad Penn is just straight mineral oil with no other additives except a TON of ZDDP.

No detergents, no anti-oxidants, no dispersants..... none of that stuff is needed for racing.

Originally Posted By: JFAllen
Indy Cars run off the shelf 0W40 oils in most cases (class requirement to use commercially available oil.) Aussie V8 supercars run 30 and 40W oils depending on the race. And I'd be very surprised if any nascar team runs anything heavier than a 40W.

The higher the quality of your engine build, the less slack there is that's required to be taken up by oil.
Those engines aren't the same as hot rodded production Engines. By a rental property I used to own a neighbor built race cars frames so I have had the oportunity to look at a late model NASCAR engine and have the features explained to me.[probably 2 years ago] The quality and precision and oiling is amazing. they are not your hot rodded production engines.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Jay Leno said:
"Is 20W-50 oil OK to run in a modern engine with this tight of *tolerances*?
09.gif
spankme2.gif

He obviously doesn't visit this site!
grin.gif
lol.gif

Or do lots if any of the work.But that is fine because I really enjoy his videos and his machines.

Well a sleeved Coyote engine with twin turbos and a supercharger running 30 PSI boost on E85 will definitely have fuel dilution issues. The ring pack prolly has a hard time sealing completely at full go ...

I am surprised that they can keep head gaskets in it ... I'm sure it is O ring sealed too ... But that all speaks well of Fords engineering to get the heads to clamp well
smile.gif

I understand the build direction. Boosted engine for immediate low end TQ and throttle response, and the turbos to make the bigger power as the R's climb with prolonged throttle. Very hard to balance well, but when it works, it's awesome
laugh.gif

I agree with the round and angular on the remaining OEM lines - kinda sets me off too ... Color is what it is. Too much red in the interior. I'd need it broken up with something here and there. Maybe a touch of black and some silver bits to break up the mono-chrome scheme. Not a good judge though, I'm not a red interior kinda person...

However, it was/is what the customer wanted, and that's what counts. My question is, does the owner do track days with it? If he clips a wall or a tire barrier, it'll be awful expensive to repair ... That's somewhere between a $200,000~$1,000,000 car. So I guess there is enough money in the owners bank account to have it repaired ...

I really liked the direction Chip went with the Mach Foose. Liked all the lines and body panel changes. It's prolly what Ford should have done on that year ...

Old Mustangs are laying in back yards rotting everywhere. They sold enough of them. It ain't a Bugatti ... No harm done cutting up a 6-cyl coupe ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back