0W40 in place of 10W30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After seeing the excellent results of a 13k Mobil 1 0W40 drain from a Mercedes, I am interested in this oil. I am currently running 5W30, but am planning a switch to 10W30. Would the 0W40 be a better choice? Should I just stick with what's recommended for my car? Or would it be ok since it's a synthetic?

I'll say that it's probably safe to use and won't do harm...but I definately don't think it's worth $7-8/qt. since only avail. thru Porsche or M-B dealerships in N.A...

When I used it in my BMW I got audible valve tapping and upon reflecting on my owner's manual a 0-40 fits into the -40 to 20 C range....so I switched to their 15-50 as per manual -20 to 30+ C...much improvement. I'd stick w/ the manual recommended viscosity.

I used 0W-40 TS in my old 626 GT 140,000 miles with no trouble. It's Mobils flagship prduct. I also thought the Mercedes E340 figures looked good considering the way the car was driven but then I'm no expert.

You may want to check out Motul's 8100 Ester E-tech 0w-40. It's a 100% synthetic ester base, compared to the predominantly PAO base that Mobil uses.

Just saw Mobil 1 0w-40 "European Car Formula" in Autozone yesterday. Same price as the other Mobil 1 I believe.

-Maverick

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
I'll say that it's probably safe to use and won't do harm...but I definately don't think it's worth $7-8/qt. since only avail. thru Porsche or M-B dealerships in N.A...

When I used it in my BMW I got audible valve tapping and upon reflecting on my owner's manual a 0-40 fits into the -40 to 20 C range....so I switched to their 15-50 as per manual -20 to 30+ C...much improvement. I'd stick w/ the manual recommended viscosity.

quote:

Originally posted by Maverick:
Just saw Mobil 1 0w-40 "European Car Formula" in Autozone yesterday. Same price as the other Mobil 1 I believe.

Confirmed. I just checked my local Autozone and they now have Supersyn 0W40 for $4.99/qt, same as the others. Now if only Walmart would start carrying 5qt containers of it for $15 like the other weights...

I have used Mobil 1 5W30 and 0W40 exclusively. This was with the Trisyn formula though. What I noticed was that the 0W40 would consume a little more (1/2qt total over 5K miles) than the 5W30 (1/4qt or less over 5K miles), which is no surprise due to the wider spread.

I think this oil is really only a good idea for cars that have tight tolerances (and need a 0W for startup) AND see high operating temps and/or heavy loads that require a 40 weight.

while using a 0w-40 is good to use in very hard driving IMHO (i thought about it and still do), a 0w-30 or 5w-30, etc.., will do just as well, so long as its HTHS number is greater than 3.5. this is so the oil wont lose viscoity over time or lose it quicker due to hard driving.

Pretty much, it helps to extend the drain interval. But the HTHS #(or shear #) will give you a guide as to the 'strength' of an oil- generally. Or, you can use an oil like the 0w-40 Mobil 1 that has a higher viscosity number @ 100 c.

of course, i AM crazy and I am typing this from the psych ward here at Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta! All this because of oil.....I just couldn't decide on what oil to use and finally, I flipped!
lol.gif

Um, how sure are we that all these Mobil 1 0W40 formulas being sold on different continents are the same stuff.
confused.gif

They can't all be coming from the same plants ... could they?
confused.gif

If you guys are saying that M-1 SuperSynth. 0-40 is available OTC, then it can't be too much different than their other viscosities w.r.t. wear etc., considering visc. differences.

Bror
Check prod data sheets in the different countries. All the same. M1 not made here in Oz so US or Europe I guess. 0W40 a different beast on a Timken than 10W30 for what its worth?

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
If you guys are saying that M-1 SuperSynth. 0-40 is available OTC, then it can't be too much different than their other viscosities w.r.t. wear etc., considering visc. differences.

The trisyn 0W40 was a lot different than the trisyn XW30. I don't know a lot about any of the new formulas, but the specs on the Supersyn 0W40 look real good, and didn't change much from the Trisyn version.

Another source for the Mobil 1 0W-40 is avlube It is also where I work. It is $5.72 a quart/$34.32/case of 6 fob Columbus, Ohio.

[ July 31, 2002, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

George, I order M-1 Synth. Spray lube from you guys (usually Bill) and last time I asked he said NO to the 0-40 availability. Is this
something new???

Anyways, as far as my experience....I didn't like the 0-40 and won't be going back to it. Too much tapping noise coming out of the engine assoc. w/ a too thin of an oil...regardless of the stats....

From what I understand, the OW40 is the best of the Mobil 1 line up. If they would make a 10W30 the same way they make the 0W40, I'd use that.

quote:

Originally posted by VaderSS:
From what I understand, the OW40 is the best of the Mobil 1 line up. If they would make a 10W30 the same way they make the 0W40, I'd use that.

I think I missed the reference.
What is better about how they make 0w40?

What I see in in 0w40 is much better protection when the oil is warm.
But we have less oil and more VII.

Is the VII durable or will it evaporate and change the viscosity before drained?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back