0w40, 5w40, or 10w40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but probably not worth it's cost.

Try one of the 15W-40 dual-rated diesel lubes. Let us know how it works for you.

Ken

Yes, they are two different additive pkgs: one is for gasoline engines & one is for diesel engines. I guess I don't understand the concern, though. I mean, if you're willing to use either type of oil in your engine, then you'll have one extreme or the other for additive pkgs.

I'd think mixing something like RedLine with Mobil 1 would create more conflict (different base oil compositions and different additive pkgs) than mixing Mobil's Delvac with Mobil 1. But RedLine says, "mix away!" Additionally, Mobil claims their Mobil 1 "is compatible with conventional & synthetic blend engine oils." I even emailed Mobil back in January & asked specifically if I could mix D1300 with M1, & they said, "Delvac product can be mixed with the Mobil1 product".

In my opinion, these additive pkgs can compliment each other, especially under extended drain conditions. TBN, detergency & anti-wear additives all get a bigger boost by topping up with Delvac than by just adding more M1. Add to that the conditions Matt's working with, & I just don't see any downsides at this point.

But again, this is simply my opinion & interpretation of the spec sheets & conditions. There might be folks here who have tried similar mixes with unfavorable results. If so, I hope they speak up & provide us with their knowledge & experience. (Who was it who mixed all those different "leftover" brands & types? What was the outcome there?)

someone had mentioned D1300S 15w40 being bassically a 10w40. How far from a 10w40 is it? My only concern is starting when it's cold. I'm sure any 10wt HD oil would work great.

--Matt

so, that being said, my car should start as well on a cold morning with 15w40 D1300S as it would with a 10w40? This sounds like it might be the winner.

--Matt

offtopic.gif

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000055
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000054

looking at these 2 VOA's these oils appear to have prety near the same additive packages. I'm really worried about going to start my car one morning and it not wanting to go. Are my fears founded?

--Matt

Matt,

The good news is that if you are adding a quart of Amsoil every 2000 miles, you can run the same batch of oil almost indefinitely and just change oil filters every 7500 miles. All this fresh oil is diluting any contaminents and replenishing the additive package in the oil. The oil that is leaking into the combustion chamber is taking any contaminents suspended in the oil with it, and these flash off as well. I would use a premium oil filter like the Amsoil or Mobil 1 filter to keep the oil as clean as possible.

If I was running the Amsoil 10w-40 in this particular engine, I'd just do an oil analysis annually and never drain the crankcase unless the analysis indicated it was necessary.

Amsoil has the lowest evaporation rate of the three oils you have listed, so it should give you the lowest oil consumption. My second choice would be Delvac 1, 5w-40 for this application ....

If you have any further questions, please contact me off-line ....

Ted

Don't go using that heavy cold wt oil in your Saturn. The oil passages to the timing chain in the 1.9 are TINY. You'll oil starve the chain until it warms up. And at your mileage, that chain needs all the oil it can get.

Shame on you who make recommendations about cars you haven't researched.

I must agree with some others though. Forget synthetic for this car and do dino changes at 3,000 miles. Save your pennies for the Ion.

hmm, I drive the car really hard...heh. 3k on dino's probably not gonna cut it. Unless maybee I go with schaffers or something awesome.

--Matt

well, manualman, what weight do you recommend? 10w40 seemed to be fine when I used it over the summer.

--Matt

quote:

Originally posted by manualman:
Don't go using that heavy cold wt oil in your Saturn. The oil passages to the timing chain in the 1.9 are TINY. You'll oil starve the chain until it warms up. And at your mileage, that chain needs all the oil it can get.

Shame on you who make recommendations about cars you haven't researched.

Hold on... You're saying the Saturn wasn't designed to run a "heavy cold" 10W-x oil??? I might agree if you made this comment in regards to straight 50wt racing oil, but not when we're considering today's multi-vis, winter-rated consumer oils.

Matt, what's the manual's recommendation? 5W? 10W? I say you're fine with any of the oils you're considering, especially since you now know oil in the 40wt range reduces your consumption by half.

ya, it says 5w30 for all temps and 10w30 for all temps over 20F. I ran 10w30 all the way through the winter for my Auto-RXing and saw no problems. I ended up dumping some GTX 10w40 in for now. Money's tight with these taxes. Hopefully next change I can order some amsoil 10w40.

--Matt

The 15w40 heavy duty oils as a ch4 or ci4 requirement has to pump like a 10w oil .I am not exactly sure what it means .Could oil of the oil guys explain???please

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Matt,

The good news is that if you are adding a quart of Amsoil every 2000 miles, you can run the same batch of oil almost indefinitely and just change oil filters every 7500 miles. All this fresh oil is diluting any contaminents and replenishing the additive package in the oil. The oil that is leaking into the combustion chamber is taking any contaminents suspended in the oil with it, and these flash off as well. I would use a premium oil filter like the Amsoil or Mobil 1 filter to keep the oil as clean as possible.

If I was running the Amsoil 10w-40 in this particular engine, I'd just do an oil analysis annually and never drain the crankcase unless the analysis indicated it was necessary.

Amsoil has the lowest evaporation rate of the three oils you have listed, so it should give you the lowest oil consumption. My second choice would be Delvac 1, 5w-40 for this application ....

If you have any further questions, please contact me off-line ....

Ted

Ted,

3 quarts of high priced synthetic oil every 6K miles over and above initial fill??? Wow, this option looks expensive!

Why not use a cheaper dino based oil? The oil is not in there long enough to take advantage of synth's advantages anyway.

It doesn't look that expensive if all you ever do is add oil & never dump it, right? Unfortunately, Matt's comsumption is only 1/2 of this amount with a 40wt, so he's only adding 1&1/2 qts every 6k now.

dude, I don't like the dino oil. my car runs better and quieter on synthetic. I may do another RX treatment or 2 before hand tho. I still have 2 bottles left. Actually, I can dump it in the GTX I have in there. INGENIOUS!

--Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back