0w30 or 5w30 or 0w40 in 2.0 ecoboost

I recently bought a 2020 ford edge with a 2.0 ecoboost. I’ve changed the oil with mobil1 5w30 a couple of times and switched to mobil1 0w30 for winter.

The owners manual shows this chart:
1675548530651.jpeg

As shown, the 0w30 handles the cold better but I’m surprised that it handles the heat to 104 like the 5w30.

Can I assume from this that 0w30 is ok to use all year, driving from Boston to Houston?

Would 0w40 be a better choice in summer in Houston?

I shouldn’t have read the owners manual because then I wouldn’t be confused/concerned. Advise is appreciated!

As shown, the 0w30 handles the cold better but I’m surprised that it handles the heat to 104 like the 5w30.
They are both 30 grade oils, so they will be essentially the same at operating temperature. I wouldn't be swapping between 5W-30 and 0W-30 ... just pick the one that suits your winter driving the best.

I recently bought a 2020 ford edge with a 2.0 ecoboost. I’ve changed the oil with mobil1 5w30 a couple of times and switched to mobil1 0w30 for winter.

The owners manual shows this chart:
View attachment 138794

Can I assume from this that 0w30 is ok to use all year, driving from Boston to Houston?

Would 0w40 be a better choice in summer in Houston?

I shouldn’t have read the owners manual because then I wouldn’t be confused/concerned. Advise is appreciated!

Both are 30 grade oils. You can run a 5W-30 year round with no worries.

30 is 30. Illinois doesn't normally get cold enough to worry about 0W vs 5W either.
Use whichever tickles your toes and go about life.

Both are 30 grade oils. You can run a 5W-30 year round with no worries.
Depends on the coldest expected start-up. If it gets close to -20F, then the 0W would probably give easier cold start-ups. But yeah, IL doesn't really get very cold as far as the "normal" expected winter temperature. Although, the record cold temperature was -36F.

My mom has a 2014 Fusion Titanium AWD with the 2.0EB. It has had M1 0W40 most of its life. I think a couple of oil changes we used MC 5W30 due to availability. Car runs great, never done a UOA, but any couple of issues it has had are unrelated to the engine.

I would use what the manufactures recommend. Why do you think you know better? Appears that 5w30 is the way I would go. Ed
That’s the question…the manufacturer recommends both 5w30 and 0w30

Wouldn't the 5w30 be more shear stable?
Especially in extreme conditions (short trips, extended OCI's, fuel dilution etc.)?

FWIW, if it gets to -20 F, I’m probably not leaving the house so I don’t have to worry about the car. Hahaha 🥶🥶🥶

5W30, 5000 mile changes (protect the timing chain from GDI soot), and hope that you have the updated block (you should).

If you are under warranty, 0W30 and 5W30 are the only oils that are going to carry the WSS-M2C961-A1 Spec (Or whichever is the newer version of it, I forget offhand), if that is important to you.

I generally start at 4,500 miles looking for a warm day to change oil. Typically I use Mobil1 but have used pennzoil ultra and Liqui Moly. Seems that it runs most quiet in LM.

I’m old school and still have trouble not changing oil at 3,000 miles. Ha

That’s the question…the manufacturer recommends both 5w30 and 0w30
FWIW, if it gets to -20 F, I’m probably not leaving the house so I don’t have to worry about the car. Hahaha 🥶🥶🥶
Then go with 5W-30. The only real difference is the W rating, and since you won't be starting it anywhere near -20F then you don't really need 0W.

I run Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 in my GM 2.0, because it is a low SAPS oil. It might help the carbon build up on the valves of your direct injection engine. It is not cheap, but it is considered one of the best oils in the world by many, including me. Roger

Back