0w30 or 5w30 for a 2018 BMW X1

I have a 2018 BMW X1 (wifes) that the warranty finished last October.
It's had a steady diet of 0w20 BMW LL 14/17 since new. The last oil change
last October, I used ROWE 0w20 BMW LL 17. Going forward, I like to move
up a grade to either 0W30 or 5W30. I'm thinking Pennzoil. The 5w30 has the
BMW LL 04 approval. The 0W30 has no BMW approval. What would my Euro
experts use?
how about castrol 0-30 ? that has a bmw ll04 approval
psds from 06 Apr 2022: https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/...37596E9802582B20013ECE1/$File/bpxe-aeffks.pdf
Στιγμιότυπο 2023-03-29, 9.59.08 μμ.jpg

Oil either can be approved or not. There is no pay to play.
i understand that..the ''That us nit how this works.'' was that i didn't understand..it was a spelling error that kschachn helped me about it.

as for the approval ,i didn't mean it that way..i am not implying that there is something suspicious concerning the approval.

but apart from the technical stuff ,isn't there a financial business agreement? its a question not an argument . we all know that there was an approval until 2015.is it possible that the collaboration between them expired not for a technical reason(approval) but a financial one? or that there was a contract between them with an expired date like ,
for example..bmw had a collaboration with castrol until 2015 to rebrand bmw's oil.that changed although castrol had bmw ll04 approval on their oil still on their product line..then it was shell and now we heard there is an agreement with castrol again for North America for 5 years , i think..
could this happened with mobil too? or is it different?

Last edited:
but apart from the technical stuff ,isn't there a financial business agreement? its a question not an argument . we all know that there was an approval until 2015.is it possible that the collaboration between them expired not for a technical reason(approval) but a financial one? or that there was a contract between them with an expired date like ,
for example..bmw had a collaboration with castrol until 2015 to rebrand bmw's oil.that changed although castrol had bmw ll04 approval on their oil still on their product line..then it was shell and now we heard there is an agreement with castrol again for North America for 5 years , i think..
It's irrelevant when approvals are involved. Yes VAG had a marketing agreement with Castrol when my Tiguan was assembled, but it doesn't mean anything in regards to the performance of an approved oil. The Castrol product has the approval, it's a binary proposition.

People like to think that those blenders and manufacturers that have a marketing agreement somehow get a pass on the approval requirements which is silly. That does not happen. The oil is either approved or it isn't.

The vehicle is going to see Canadian winter temperatures, so 0W would be a better choice than 5W.

My oil filter of choice for the best filter is a Frame Ultra. And Walmart has the lowest price for those.

Remember the best filter for your oil is your engine air intake filter. Project form YouTube videos do a good comparison of different brands to show which ones are the best.

OP, do you have one of the new type of battery cold cranking amp testers that do a really decent job of letting you know what the state of your battery is? If it's the wife's vehicle the last thing you want is to get her mad because the vehicle died on her on a cold day. These new battery checkers that really aren't that expensive do a really nice job of letting you know if a battery has declined to the point where it should be preemptively replaced. Amazon sells those. Or if you don't want to buy one you could at least take the vehicle to some of the auto parts brick stores that will check a battery for free to see what the state of decline of the battery is on a regular basis. Especially if the battery is approaching or has exceeded the warranty period that it came with. And I hope that living in Canada you know that for cold weather reliability you always want the battery with the highest cold cranking amps you can get that will fit in the vehicle.

Last edited:
From my basic research the B58 engine was designed to use 0w20 but there are lots of alternatives.

The BMW oil carried by the BMW Assist breakdown vehicles (They drive 5 Series estates not Recovery Vans) is 0w30 in a BMW branded bottle.

The only reason I know that is because my 745Le had a warning come up to add a litre of oil, when I went to open the bonnet at a petrol station it wouldn’t open.

So I drove home and called BMW Assist.

He sorted the bonnet pull in 10 mins and I just asked him to add the oil to save me the haste, and 0w30 was what he carried for this vehicle.

I shall be doing interim Oil and Filter changes, likely twice during the offices interval which varies from 16k to 20k miles apparently as it is not fixed and depends on usage.

There is 20k on my current fill and it’s being serviced today.

I have touched on this before, still not decided but it will more than likely be 5w30 or 5w40, though I might try 0w20 to see if it improves fuel economy.

i understand that..the ''That us nit how this works.'' was that i didn't understand..it was a spelling error that kschachn helped me about it.

as for the approval ,i didn't mean it that way..i am not implying that there is something suspicious concerning the approval.

I think GM is doing that. They have all these license agreements.
European manufacturers approve it as the idea is to make sure customers are not involved in guessing games. That is about it.
The reason why Mobil1 lost it, IMO, was an oxidation issue.

as i said not me..since i have no idea how this works..my thought is that they both make money out of it..a business deal.so i don't know if first they agree on economical basis and they proceed to the approval, or vice versus..that is to what i was referring as a money deal. How they share the profit from this collaboration and if they disagreed to go on...apart from the approval.
I don't know and personally I really don't care. All I want is an oil that carries the approval I need at the lowest cost and greatest availability. Marketing agreement or no marketing agreement, those are my goals since they are technical.

Any blender or manufacturer is welcome to gain an approval for an oil and marketing agreements are won and lost all the time. I honestly could not care less.

The vehicle is going to see Canadian winter temperatures, so 0W would be a better choice than 5W.

My oil filter of choice for the best filter is a Frame Ultra. And Walmart has the lowest price for those.

Remember the best filter for your oil is your engine air intake filter. Project form YouTube videos do a good comparison of different brands to show which ones are the best.

OP, do you have one of the new type of battery cold cranking amp testers that do a really decent job of letting you know what the state of your battery is? If it's the wife's vehicle the last thing you want is to get her mad because the vehicle died on her on a cold day. These new battery checkers that really aren't that expensive do a really nice job of letting you know if a battery has declined to the point where it should be preemptively replaced. Amazon sells those. Or if you don't want to buy one you could at least take the vehicle to some of the auto parts brick stores that will check a battery for free to see what the state of decline of the battery is on a regular basis. Especially if the battery is approaching or has exceeded the warranty period that it came with. And I hope that living in Canada you know that for cold weather reliability you always want the battery with the highest cold cranking amps you can get that will fit in the vehicle.
JimPghPA. If I go with a 5w30, it will be for summer. In winter I'll go with a 0w. I don't know about any battery tester.
The X1 is five years old now so I know at some point the battery will go. Maybe I'll get it checked out when I get service
done. Thanks for your input.

That is YouTube project farm engine air intake filter.

While the Wix engine air filter perform very well, Wix has a history farming out production of what they sell from other companies. So that makes me think that they might not be consistent in their quality. Where the Purolator one is made by Purolator and would be much more likely to be consistently good.

The Euro shop I went to last year uses German Rowe oil. I had them put in 0W20 which has the
BMW LL-17 approval. This summer, I'll have them put in 0W30 BMW LL-12 or 0W30 BMW LL-04.
Have just checked the Invoice for my recent service.

My 745Le has what the Dealer referred to as smart servicing and adjusts the interval based on usage.
I have driven other 745Le and they have had 20k mile intervals.

The 1st service on mine was done at 18331 and the car advised a Service Interval of 18000 miles the Dealer messed me around as they couldn’t open the bonnet and they didn’t want to strip the car apart till they had the new bonnet cable, after they had the car for 2 days I took it back and rebooked, they advised that before you invalidate the Manufacturers Warranty you have to be over due a Service by 10k miles.

So it was booked in 5 weeks later and Serviced with 41746 miles on the clock and it is now advising it wants Serviced after 19000, maybe I treat the cat better than the previous owner!

The oil they used in the Service was BMW branded 0w30, I assume it will be an LL04 oil rather than LL12 or LL17

I hadn’t thought about using different oils for Summer and Winter.

But so may well do that.

I am also curious as to what difference to economy there would be running an LL17 0w20

I will be doing interim oil and filter changes now that I can actually open the bonnet again.

This will be the first interim oil and filter change that has required me to jack the car up to drop the oil as all our other cars can be extracted.

Incidentally oil consumption over 22000 miles was 1 litre.

Back