0w30 or 5w30 for a 2018 BMW X1

Thanks for the replies. I only mentioned Pennzoil because it's on sale this week. The regular price
of oil up here is very expensive so when oil goes on sale for 45% off, it's time to buy.
My only concern is if BMW LL 04 spec is ok to use in N/A now. Before it was not to be used in N/A.

Thanks for the replies. I only mentioned Pennzoil because it's on sale this week. The regular price
of oil up here is very expensive so when oil goes on sale for 45% off, it's time to buy.
My only concern is if BMW LL 04 spec is ok to use in N/A now. Before it was not to be used in N/A.
If your manual recommends LL17FE+ then that is already mid SAPS like LL04, so it's fine. If your manual only recommends LL01 then it's your call. NA is now using low sulfur fuel.

I have the B48 engine, I found a great deal on Pennzoil Euro LX 0W30 and bought several cases of it. I also change at 5000 miles, and am no longer in warranty. I did an UOA to see if the oil held up well...it did. I've also run HPL Euro 5w30 in it, and will return to it after use up my LX 0w30 stock. That said, if you follow the specs published by BMW, you won't have to guess, nor will you depend upon knuckleheads like me that do a bit of research and come to our own conclusions...right or wrong.

If your manual recommends LL17FE+ then that is already mid SAPS like LL04, so it's fine. If your manual only recommends LL01 then it's your call. NA is now using low sulfur fuel.
My 2018 was built in 2017 but the LL 17FE probably wasn't out yet when the manual was put out.
The oil recommendation was either 0w30 LL 01FE+ or the 0w20 LL 14+ . Later 0w20 got updated
to LL 17 FE+. The new engines now are still 0w20 LL17 but the 0w30 is LL12+ I think.
I did see that someone said that the 0w20 LL17 is the lower viscosity version of the LL 04.

Thanks Chris719

I have the B48 engine, I found a great deal on Pennzoil Euro LX 0W30 and bought several cases of it. I also change at 5000 miles, and am no longer in warranty. I did an UOA to see if the oil held up well...it did. I've also run HPL Euro 5w30 in it, and will return to it after use up my LX 0w30 stock. That said, if you follow the specs published by BMW, you won't have to guess, nor will you depend upon knuckleheads like me that do a bit of research and come to our own conclusions...right or wrong.
I know 0w30 is one of the recommended grades. I think either 0w30 or 5w30 will be great in our engines.
Thanks Titan.
PS. LOL, don't worry, your not a knuckle head

Indeed. However OP is out of warranty so the horizon is broadened a bit. Again, if one must/wants to maintain spec, get one that is approved.
LL specifications have specific timing chain tests designed for N20/26 and B engines. If he had N5X I would say go ahead. I did it in my BMW.
But, if I owned a B engine, I would stick to specifications for two reasons:
1. Timing chain is in the back, not the front like in previous BMW's. ESP or any other oil won't destroy anything in one OCI, but over time, who knows?
2. Who knows becomes too expensive considering the fact that the cheapest available oil in Canada is of excellent quality and has BMW approvals, which is Pennzoil.

So, I am having a hard time understanding push for ESP considering those two things I mentioned.
And as you can see in my signature, I do not have anything against ESP.

LL specifications have specific timing chain tests designed for N20/26 and B engines. If he had N5X I would say go ahead. I did it in my BMW.
But, if I owned a B engine, I would stick to specifications for two reasons:
1. Timing chain is in the back, not the front like in previous BMW's. ESP or any other oil won't destroy anything in one OCI, but over time, who knows?
2. Who knows becomes too expensive considering the fact that the cheapest available oil in Canada is of excellent quality and has BMW approvals, which is Pennzoil.

So, I am having a hard time understanding push for ESP considering those two things I mentioned.
And as you can see in my signature, I do not have anything against ESP.
My presumption is that the current formulation of ESP will have no issue passing the timing chain tests, but you’re right that it is a guess.

My presumption is that the current formulation of ESP will have no issue passing the timing chain tests, but you’re right that it is a guess.
The new one that is approved, has changed formulation.
Mobil1 didn’t have any oil approved for BMW since 2015. There is obviously something in approval that Mobil1 can’t meet. Probably not big deal, probably!

@edyvw, no big push for the ESP over anything else approved. Was just mentioning that it could be a good choice if OP wanted a 5W30. I'm not up in the Great North so not familiar with prices/availability, but does sound like the Pennzoil would be a logical choice all around for OP.

I've found that timing chain tests are done with long OCIs in mind because oxidized oil will wreak havoc on the chains. Ask me how I know fellow VW owner ;). Change more often to keep them supplied without the residual soup and soot (aka 5K OCI), and the chains last a long time. I'm with you, though, when it comes to specific tests within an approval and should use speced oils for those reasons if possible/practical.

BTW, Mrs. Shorty's Tiggy has been on a steady diet of ESP 5W-30 for quite a while now too as a result of the input here.

The new one that is approved, has changed formulation.
Mobil1 didn’t have any oil approved for BMW since 2015. There is obviously something in approval that Mobil1 can’t meet. Probably not big deal, probably!
Ether that or its all about money deal, who knows ! As an owner for 12 years of a BMW ,the only sure think about BMW is that , it is very strict on its approvals .

Back