0W30 M1 - can't find it ANYWHERE - does it even exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
where the heck do you buy this stuff? I'm going to have to go with GC for my winter oil if I don't find some M1 today.

I agree with the above. I am running the last of my 0w30 M1
frown.gif

Funny you should ask-- I posted on this topic about a week or two ago.

I had been looking for this as well for months, and finally came across some at Lee Auto Parts about a week or so ago.

I see you're in Chicago. Check the Lee on Dundee in Northbrook... that's where I bought mine, and they still had some left last time I was there.

cheers.gif

I'm not sure, but I believe they're still advertising it on the web site [1].
What I heard some months back on here is that most retailers had stopped carrying it because, surprise surprise, it wasn't selling for poo.
pajim17057: You're partially correct. M1 did kill 0W30R.
US consumers by and large don't buy 0WX oils. This is why you can find 4 year old Castrol 0W30 on some store shelves.
It's the same reason M1 changed their 20-weight product from 0W20 to 5W20...
I suspect you might be able to get it at an ExxonMobil oil jobber in your area, or in Canada.
By the way, even in Chicago you don't genuinely need 0WX. 5WX is good down to around -25F.
Correct me if Chicago gets down to -30F, and I'll retract that last paragraph.

I'm running 5W-30 in my 03 Ford Ranger and my wife's 03 Subaru Forester (its recommended in the manual for both vehicles). Where we live in Montana it gets to between 30 and 40 below almost every winter and sometimes gets to 20 or more below for days in a row. That 5W-30 oil weight hasn't kept our vehicles from starting, tho we both also have block heaters and we garage the vehicles at night in a well-insulated garage. Also, we've been using Mobil 1 (we're in the process of switching to Mobile 1 EP) and since its synthetic it doesn't thicken in cold weather so it doesn't present a cold weather start-up problem.

quote:

Why not just go with M1 5w-30? It will serve you well.

quote:

By the way, even in Chicago you don't genuinely need 0WX. 5WX is good down to around -25F.
Correct me if Chicago gets down to -30F, and I'll retract that last paragraph.

your likely right, but see my other thread regarding 20F flow cold flow observations . I'm looking to see how much I can improve these flow number by switching to 0W. M1 0W30 is 680 cSt at 20F, I think the M1 5W30 is more like 900.

quote:

I see you're in Chicago. Check the Lee on Dundee in Northbrook... that's where I bought mine, and they still had some left last time I was there.

thanks!

Upon calling the Exxonmobil 800 phone number today, they said Mobil 1 0W 30 is still being produced, but may be hard to find.

As previously stated by others, I would talk to an Exxonmobil distributor or jobber. I fortunately, scooped up at least 50 of those discontinued Mobil 1 Racing 0W 30 for $3.99 this summer. Stored some of them with 50 GC Green in a bomb proof, air tight, oil cellar, somewhere in the D.C. suburbs. (Not CIA headquarters).

I got my Mobil 1Racing 0W 30 from Murrays Auto Parts in Michigan. I believe they have Chicago area stores - so go to their web site for store location around Chicago.

0w30 is not even being listed in Mobil's latest brochure anymore. They are not making it in the new SM rating and in the EP-SL rated listings, 5w/10w30& 10w40& 15w50 are listed--NO 0w30 listed at all. Check your local NAPA stores, this is where I found alot of it still in stock and 'traded' the new SM 5w30's I had bought with the buy3get3free from PepBoys for NAPA's old stock of 0w30's they had left. The stores that went for the trade-a few weren't interested- were happy to get rid of their old stock!!and replace it with the new. They told me 0w30 was a slow mover and they weren't going to carry it anymore. Got 50qts of 0w30 along with 78qts of 5w30(128qts)SL old stock--think I am going to be OK for awhile along with my 56 FL400s filters from WM.

Darn it, I was gonna go with this oil next winter.
frown.gif
Funny thing is while looking at Farm & Fleet and Advance Auto today I did see a few quarts of the M1 0w-20. Maybe I should have bought them to mix with the 5w-30?

GC and M1 0W30 have very different viscosities. M1 5W30 is thinner than GC at all temperatures. M1 10W30 is thinner than GC when above 20degF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back