0w30 in Nissan VQ30DE ?

Love seeing information like this. There are pundits that will argue "we get a different engine in the US" though 😂
Ours are fully imported from Japan, I'm very sure they only have one production line back in the Japan factory. It wouldn't make economic sense any other way. Plus just look at the parts numbers, same number = same engine.

The other rubbish line people feed me is about lack of (or cost) for full synthetic 0W20 oil in Australia. Yet I just posted this (below) in the sales section of BITOG yesterday.

At SCA in Australia, 3rd to 13th November.

40% Off Valvoline SynPower full synthetic,
$50 for the big 6L jug,
0W20, API SP, ILSAC GF-6A, Dexos1-Gen3.
5W30 FE, ACEA A5/B5, Ford 913-D.
5W30, API SP, ILSAC GF-6A, Dexos1-Gen3.
5W40 API SP and ACEA A3/B4.
For me, SynPower 0W20 and 5W40 are the same price, at the same store.

My Pathfinder with the VQ35DE specifies 0w20 OR 5w30 and I've used both before and I've also used 10w30 and 10w40 with no issues.
In Australia, Nissan Pathfinder R52 with 3.5 Litre V6 Eng., (2013-2020) is 5W30, 10W30 and 15W40.

We get very affordable 15W40 PCMOs in Australia, such as Castrol GTX UltraClean 15W40 semi-synthetic (API SN/CF and ACEA A3/B3), right now it's on sale (60% off) at $18 for 5L. Lots of people here would give it GTX 15W40 year around, and leave it at that. It's regularly on sale.

Good 15W40 PCMO talk here

From an oil formulator
It's actually a very tricky question to answer. I used to do a lot of what they call 'matrix blending'. This is when rather than develop one single oil, you develop a whole load of oils simultaneously........

Nowadays I'd probably try & integrate 5W20, 5W30 & 5W40 into the matrix (especially if it was Group II/III with no Group I permitted). It's a toss up but speaking personally, I'd favour a cheap SN Group II/III 15W40 over a full Group III 5W40.

True ^^^^^

Mobil 1 ESP 0w30 would likely be a better oil for the VQ.... Higher HTHS 3.5 and it meets Porsche C30 and MB 229.5 which are way tougher specs to meet vs API SP.

Though I ran many 5w30s in my Nissan Altima VQ two door coupe. And I ran my car hard... Near redlined that car every day I had it.

My car ran to 365,000 miles on the motor. It did great. Even the CVT made it that far until finally giving up.
What year was you Altima? 3.5L or the 2.5?

Also aren't these engines a little hard on oil ?
The VQ30DE specifically is not a known oil burner. Most VQ engines are not known oil burners. If there was one it is the VQ35, which is likely slightly higher than average. Why its different than all the other VQ's out there who knows. It also seems like - at least from the Nissan boards, is some burn oil and some don't at all - maybe its a QC thing?

However one thing about Nissan is they love to use really crappy cats, put them really close to the manifold, and run a lot of valve overlap - so I have heard of many a Nissan engine getting a plugged cat and the owner running it too long and turning their engine into a permanent oil burner.
They are. I'd personally use the thickness 5w30 you can find at reasonable price. I'd not use high saps oils these cats are picky and expensive
^^ This.

I wouldn’t get too fixated on approvals that are not relevant to your application, however, the Euro 0W30’s are likely to be significantly more “stout” than AFE 0W30.
gasp-shocked.gif

But!...but!.... A40... 229.5...502/505...My cars NEED it, like I NEED the electrolytes!...

Oci was 5k and summer weather. Just got the car the end of May.
You sure it was consuming all that. VQ engines are notorios for leaky valve cover gaskets. They leak on the back of the engine or on the exhaust and you often don't see a drip. With 2.5 quarts I would assume you would, but I might look at the back of your engine for oil - might be at least part of the problem.

Didn't know that. I'll check later today. I did notice some oil on the engine during the last OC.

They are. I'd personally use the thickness 5w30 you can find at reasonable price. I'd not use high saps oils these cats are picky and expensive 💲💲💲
Second This.
Had two 99's Maximas with almost the same engine as the OP's 2000, The lower mileage one (under a 100K miles) didn't burn oil yet, but the one with 140K miles and also well taken care of did start to use oil. I would use a XW40 or a Euro spec W30 in them if I went back in time.

Back