0w30 in Nissan VQ30DE ?

Was wondering what everyone's opinion was on using Mobil 1 AFE 0W30 in a 2000 Maxima with 230k miles ? It doesn't leak or burn any measurable amount of oil between changes on 5w30.
Driving conditions are 70/30 city/hwy with spirited acceleration.
Please move if I posted in wrong area.

OP, what temperature or where do you live?

Most Nissan engines run cam chains and tend to shear oil. Making me prefer more shear stable, narrow viscosity grades. Right now I’ve just finished running Euro rated Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4 in my Nissan X-Trail / Rogue. It has to pass a Euro shear stability test, that ILSAC and API don’t have.

But, having said all that, yes M1 0W30 is a very good oil, and it will perform well in your application.

The VQ engines generally don't burn or leak oil. There great engines in fact.

They do shear oil. Obviously depends on your OCI if that is a concern or not. I change both my VQ40DE engines pretty early.

The timing chains are a pretty good design. They had some problems in some years primarily because they weren't checking the stampings / dies which caused burrs on the links and would wear out the guides.

Not sure what the advantage of a 0w-30 over a 5w-30 might be in TN. Obviosly you don't need the cold weather rating. I imagine its not much different than a 5w-30 - maybe someone can educate me.
running Euro rated Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4 in my Nissan X-Trail / Rogue. It has to pass a Euro shear stability test, that ILSAC and API don’t have.
I like this idea, but I don't like Castrol Edge.

My climate doesn't call for a 0w.
My intervals are 4 - 6k.
So these engines can be revved high within reason ?

For 4-6k even the cheapest "dino" (actually a syn blend) will be more than enough :)

Castrol 0w30 A3/B4 or the 5w30 A3/B4 would be great for your Maxima.

Another good choice is Rotella T6 5w30

That said, there is nothing wrong with M1 AFE 0w30.

For the filter, use either Wix XP/Napa Platinum, the Full 2-ONS001, this Nippon filter, or any Fram :)

If you go to Napa, get 3 filters at the same time to get 20% off.

OP, if you have the M1 0W30, then just use it. The 0Wx oils are rated to cold starts down to about -35C (-30F), so probably not needed for you, but not a real problem either.

If you like M1, and haven't gone to the store yet, then how about API-SP rated M1 10W30 ? That would be my pick, for a 2000 year Nissan. A 10Wx oil is good down to about -20C (0F).

Haven't bought any oil yet. May go with Mobil 1 10w30 instead if the 0w30. Will post with decision on oil tomorrow.

Not sure what the advantage of a 0w-30 over a 5w-30 might be in TN. Obviosly you don't need the cold weather rating. I imagine its not much different than a 5w-30 - maybe someone can educate me.
In his climate, I know of no reason to use 0W-30 instead of 5W-30. A lot of people like to recommend 0W-40 in Nissan VQ engines but I suspect that's only because 5W-40 isn't very common. People like the -40 aspect since it's only a little thicker than the spec'd oil. The 0W or 5W only factors in in very cold climates and only at start-up. Otherwise, once up to temperature, they're the same.

Haven't bought any oil yet. May go with Mobil 1 10w30 instead if the 0w30. Will post with decision on oil tomorrow.
Based on your OP, keep using whatever oil you've been using.

I use a 10W20 and had zero problems in the 2015 PathFinder.

What year and model is your's?
10W20??
Do you mean 10W30 or maybe 5W20? Unless you made it yourself, which you have the ability.

Anyway, the Pathfinder is a good car. I like them.

The VQ engines generally don't burn or leak oil. There great engines in fact.

They do shear oil. Obviously depends on your OCI if that is a concern or not. I change both my VQ40DE engines pretty early.

The timing chains are a pretty good design. They had some problems in some years primarily because they weren't checking the stampings / dies which caused burrs on the links and would wear out the guides.

I like this idea, but I don't like Castrol Edge.

0W-30 would be more likely to contain synthetic base oil, or more of it. This can be a benefit, or it can be meaningless depending on the engine.

True ^^^^^

Mobil 1 ESP 0w30 would likely be a better oil for the VQ.... Higher HTHS 3.5 and it meets Porsche C30 and MB 229.5 which are way tougher specs to meet vs API SP.

Though I ran many 5w30s in my Nissan Altima VQ two door coupe. And I ran my car hard... Near redlined that car every day I had it.

My car ran to 365,000 miles on the motor. It did great. Even the CVT made it that far until finally giving up.

True ^^^^^

Mobil 1 ESP 0w30 would likely be a better oil for the VQ.... Higher HTHS 3.5 and it meets Porsche C30 and MB 229.5 which are way tougher specs to meet vs API SP.

Though I ran many 5w30s in my Nissan Altima VQ two door coupe. And I ran my car hard... Near redlined that car every day I had it.

My car ran to 365,000 miles on the motor. It did great. Even the CVT made it that far until finally giving up.
Mobil 1 ESP is nearly impossible to find in my area.

Back