0W30 GC gold Subaru Forester turbo 6,144 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drive five miles each way weekdays and made a trip to SC (100F temps) and MD (upper 90’s). This summer was one of the hottest on record in NJ so this oil saw a lot of days in the 90’s. I also drive on the beach. No engine mods.

I swapped out my Amsoil air filter for an OEM one and I’m a little surprised that silicon didn’t drop. Maybe it’s still breaking in? Dirty Fumoto?Copper went up a little as well.

I changed the oil after the UOA at 7,500 miles and maybe I’ll go to 7,000 on the next one. Or maybe I’ll just save my money and not bother with UOA’s because I trust the elves, regardless of vintage.
grin.gif

First column is current, second column is Green GC with 5,930 and third is M1 5W30 w/5,774.
Comments?

Equipment make: Subaru
Equipment model: 2.5L Turbo
Oil use interval: 6,144
Oil type & Grade: Castrol Syntec 0W30
Make-up oil added: 0
Miles on unit: 28,644
Air filter: OEM
Oil filter: OEM

Aluminum 4 4 6
Chromium 1 1 1
Iron 11 10 15
Copper 10 6 20
Lead 3 2 2
Tin 1 0 0
Molybdenum 4 12 63
Nickel 0 1 0
Maganese 0 0 0
Silver 0 0 0
Titanium 0 0 0
Potassium 0 0 3
Boron 1 14 115
Silicon 15 15 18
Sodium 6 2 6
Calcium 689 2582 3394
Magnesium 398 106 10
Phosphorous 754 680 764
Zinc 909 818 904
Barium 0 0 1

Properties
SUS Viscosity @ 210F: 64.4
Flashpoint: 385F [>385] [365 on green GC during winter]
Fuel %: .5 [ Antifreeze: 0 [0]
Water: 0 [0.1]
Insolubules: .4 [
Dennis: The small amount of gas was still there in this third sample so it may be an operational hazard you will have to live with. It has not hurt the oil’s viscosity any and we don’t see any harm being done to wear. Unless the fuel amount in the oil gets much above 2.0%, we doubt we will see any harm from its presence. Copper made a little unexpected uptick in this sample and we have no idea why. It comes from bronze parts. It should read at about 5-ppm in this sample. We will watch it for you next time, but we would bet it will drop. The TBN was 3.6 okay.

-Dennis

[ October 12, 2005, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: bluesubie ]

0.4 insolubles in 6,400 miles, huh? Is that related to the fuel dilution? I don't know much, I just don't agree with Blackstone on some of this.

Oops, Calcium should be 1689. Thanks 777.

bulwnkl - thats my guess too. If they go too high, maybe I'll switch to a thinner oil too see if it makes a difference due to the short trips.

-Dennis

quote:

Originally posted by bulwnkl:
Have you consulted with Dyson Analysis? I bet Terry could be very helpful to you here.

Why? Because of the insoluables or the copper?
I didn't think anything looked too out of the ordinary to have Terry check it out.

-Dennis

That insol looks too high to me for the mileage. I wonder whether that (or the thing that caused it) is related to the copper. I wouldn't know, but Terry would. I was just curious, mainly.

When I installed the OEM filter, I made sure that the box was sealed properly because it wasn't completely closed with the Amsoil. I didn't check the piping though.

-Dennis

WRXes generally show higher insoluble and fuel dilution, but wear numbers are usually still great.

I don't think it's a problem. But I am definitely interested in a way to lower it. I could have tried FP but its application proecdure is not easy enough for my lazy bum.

i have an impreza 2.5rs and my fuel dilution and insoluble levels, while well under blackstone's recommendations, are higher than terry would like.

doesn't seem to matter what filter i use, what oil, or the fact that i use lc and fp.

it does keep me from running intervals quite as long as i'd like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back