0w30,0w40,5w30,or 10w30 Mobil 1 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I am done with my Auto Rx treatments I would like to use Mobil 1 every 3,000 miles.By the way I am using ARX with Chevron 10w30 dino and wix filter for 70 miles into first treatment.Digital dash mpg readout went from 20.8 to 23.3 in one day's 70 mile drive, lotta fun watching the gauge go up
smile.gif

Anyway, after the treatments are done I need a good Mobil 1 for 3,000 miles. Manual "prefers 5w30" but my 1993 manual for my old car (totalled out) recommends 5w30 but says you can use 10w30 for warmer 0 to 100+ weather.My car has the 4.6 Liter V8 1995 engine with 133,000 miles on it. Drive it 3 to 4 times a week.Sometimes only once or twice.Some highway and stop and go with some big grocery loads.
Down here by Austin,Tx it stays pretty warm (100 today
grin.gif
).Since it's not a daily driver I do get some cool starts (not freezing cold) would I get some benefit from the 5w30 or 0w30? Should I just use 10w30 with this engine and temp? Is 0w30 and 5w30 not good for a engine with 130,000 well kept miles? Would frequent oil analysis help decide the grade to go? Maybe I am just to careful?
grin.gif

Thanks for your opinions!
P.S. The SuperSyn Mobil 1 doesn't have esters ? It would work great with maintenance doses of ARX ,right ?

Here is my opinion. Mobil 1 @ 3k mile drains is a waste of money. I think there best oils are 10w-30 and 0w-40. These would be your best choices in Texas, all year round. UOA is always good for extending drains and chosing an oil that is best for your engine. You will soon realize that certain oils work better in certain engines. Amsoil, Mobil 1, and others put up consistant numbers usually. For a car with that many miles, I'd run a heavier 30wt. oil or even a 40wt. How is the oil consumption on this car?

Oil consumption is near nothing.Even when I use Mobil 1 5w30 I don't need to add any amount between 3,000 mile changes.I can count on my fingers the times I have needed to add oil since I owned it.Yes, I check the oil often(in the morning and at the gas station). Is extended drain on this engine safe? Even with the best oil? I just want this engine to go maybe 500,000 miles or a little more and that's all.
grin.gif
Then I can proudly rebuild the whole thing.
wink.gif

The key to extended drains is first have analysis done. But it is really important to start with a clean engine. I ran AutoRx 3 times and now have Amsoil 10w-30 in the engine with 2oz maintenacne dose of Rx. I drive a lot so I'm really sick of changing the oil. I'd like to go 12,500 miles on changes. If I were you, I'd continue to run the Mobil 1 and change it every 5k or more depending on the UOA, and use the 10w-30 in the summer. No need to use a 40wt if consumption is not a problem. Mobil 1 will help keep the engine clean.

As far as M1 not having any esters, I have no clue. Way over my head.....I think the final answer was that it does...in some strange fashion. BTW, check out the Extended drains 101 thread posted by Tooslick.

[ April 24, 2003, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

M1 is mostly a group IV oil w/ some group V (esters).

In TX summer, 40 oil or thicker.
(and the 0w- will work or winter too)

Fred...
smile.gif

So 0w40 Mobil 1 every 5,000 miles(depending on analysis) all year long would be the best of both ends? Do I risk burning this stuff since its so different from what I have been using? Is a Wix filter good for 5,000 miles? Thanks
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Mr TCar:
So 0w40 Mobil 1 every 5,000 miles(depending on analysis) all year long would be the best of both ends? Do I risk burning this stuff since its so different from what I have been using? Is a Wix filter good for 5,000 miles? Thanks
smile.gif

The Wix filter can easily last 5000 miles. In the LS1 Synthetic oil study he's up to 8k on a Wix filter and the insolubles level is still in good shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back