0w20 - Wrong oil on Hyundai Smartstream 1.6T - GDI

User´s manual recommended oil for Hyundai I20n : 0w20 ILSAC GF6-A

My Huyndai official dealership mechanic changed oil and used 0w20 ILSAC GF5

How worried shoud i be?

Can i use the car normally? :p Love that little beast!!!

thanks^!!

In that "wonderful" small TGDI engine you should use a decent Mobil 1 EP 5W-30, at least. You'll be fine with 0W-20. However, if you short trip that puppy you will have fuel dilution in no time as it is not a dual-injection engine. For 2021 and later, Hyundai had a change of heart due to CAFE and decided to no longer print in the owner's manual viscosities up to 10W-30. We have a 2020 Sonata in our family and I can use anything from 0W-20 up to 10W-30 in it. Same vehicle for 2021 can only use 0W-20. We run 0W-40 in it now, and works wonderfully with it.

Title is misleading
I doubt their bulk tanks still contain GF-5 inless it's also SN+... at worse.

Edit: Did not realize you're in Portugal. I doubt you will have an issue.

Title is misleading
I doubt their bulk tanks still contain GF-5 inless it's also SN+... at worse.
These Hyundai T-GDI engines could run API SL oils without issues. They're programmed to spit extra fuel into the combustion chamber to avoid LSPI.

Yeah, i remember all my previous one's allowed down to SM if the recommended oil could not be found in "your country".

Yeah, i remember all my previous one's allowed down to SM if the recommended oil could not be found in "your country".
I said SL because I was thinking of Castrol EDGE Euro 0W-30 and 5W-30, which should be available in Portugal, and it's actually very good oil. It's marked "SL" because of the higher amount of ZDDP. However, it's very good oil. I ran Castrol EDGE Euro 0W-40 (same formula) for a long time in our Hyundais.

ok, thanks for the answers . peace of mind!
You will be fine. However, don't do extended OCIs and don't got the recommended 7500 miles (I don't know what they recommend for Portugal) on an oil change. The oil sump is not big enough on that engine for long OCIs. Keep the OCIs shorter and you can safely go above 0W-20 without any impact on fuel economy. I've seen plenty of people at our local dealership nuke their engines because they didn't change their oil for long periods of time and mileage. It's not worth it, considering how expensive vehicles are.

What oil would you reccomend for Hyundai Smartstream 1.6T - GDI?

Will not track the car.
Not much city driving.
No extreme temperatures in Portugal.

Nice good oil, available on most stores, but not the expensive ****. 😁

Dealership uses GALP Motor Oil.
I think GALP does not produce motor oil, it buys and rebrands as GALP.

Thanks

Any good Synthetic 0W20 major brand. If your manual allows for it and you prefer thicker, that's fine too.

GALP appears to be reputable...

Any good Synthetic 0W20 major brand. If your manual allows for it and you prefer thicker, that's fine too.

GALP appears to be reputable...

ok Major brands,

Mobil
Castrol,
Valvoline
Elf
Liqui Molly
Mannol?

Or is Mannol a downgrade from premium brands?

ok Major brands,

Mobil
Castrol,
Valvoline
Elf
Liqui Molly
Mannol?

Or is Mannol a downgrade from premium brands?
I would be comfortable with any of the above.

As an aside, probably the most "stout" 0W20s on the market today have Volkswagen approval VW508.00 or Mercedes Benz MB229.71. Over here we can get the MB229.71 with API SP/GF-6 in the same oil...Castrol Extended Performance 0W20.

Although not ment for direct comparisons between approvals and/or specifications from different manufacturers...

Screenshot_20230118_151341.jpg

Last edited:
Back