0w20 VW oil observation......2019 GLI - oil temp

Originally Posted by BrandonT
A lot of these modern cars have variable cooling. I know my BMW M235 did. On the highway it run 235 degrees, but when I put it in Sport and hit the track it would actually drop to 225. So it would run a higher temp under low load for fuel economy, but drop down when really under load. Maybe VW does this too?

No, it's not that technical on the MQB VWs. It gets hotter with RPM is really all it is - steady 2.5-3K highway driving will send it up, slower around town driving where you are at lower RPM will let it drop. The gauge is off a sensor so the values are real, not an estimate as someone above suggested.

Originally Posted by BrandonT
A lot of these modern cars have variable cooling. I know my BMW M235 did. On the highway it run 235 degrees, but when I put it in Sport and hit the track it would actually drop to 225. So it would run a higher temp under low load for fuel economy, but drop down when really under load. Maybe VW does this too?

You won't find that on these VW models.

Did a cruise with a local Volvo/Saab club today. Some hooning for sure. 95 ambient. I temps from 217 to 225 and the highest was at high highway speed.

My '19 Golf R, in which the factory says to run VW504/507 0W-30 oil, had been running on Castrol Euro 0W-40 since its first oil change at 5k, was switched to the "proper" VW stuff today for its 2nd change. I was watching oil temps just before changing to compare them to after. Virtually identical - typical 220's when cruising, up to mid-230's on the highway, at 5000 ft altitude, mid-to-high 90's outside temp.

your xxw20 spec is tested @ 212 so at 225 more or less you may be running a 15W oil + thats why my 200 thou at trade with 20+ on the vac-boost gauge got a 10-30 synthetic for all its 200 thou trouble free miles!!

Let me translate like Barbra Billingsley with the Jive guys in Airplane. He is saying that the 0W20 oil thins at the temps being seen here down to a 15w and that he got 200K trouble free miles out of this high-boost turbo running 10W30. Seems pretty clear to me. 🤣

Hi everyone,
I posted a thread a few weeks ago asking about the use of 0w20 508 oil in my 2019 GLI. I also asked about oil temperatures at that time, as my general oil temperature usually hovers between 225 and 228.
Today I had the opportunity to take a long road trip with my new car and I noticed a drop in oil temps on the highway. Today in the northeast the temperatures were very hot, in the low 90's at least. I have grown accustomed to the usual 225 temperature, so I was shocked when on the highway going about 80 mph the temperature dropped to 214-218.
I am currently running the factory recommended 0w20 oil. Is it normal/possible to drop almost ten degrees on the highway?

Thank you!

Not a VW, but I run 0w20. Mine drops to 195 on the highway on 90+ degree days and goes as high as about 222-224 in my 2018 Jeep's Pentastar. In cool weather, it will stay steady on the highway at about 185-187. It is not turbo or DI, but does have an oil cooler, which I'd imagine is more effective with thinner oils than with thicker.

It is interesting to see what your engines do temp-wise with 0w20 oil in those engines.

It has been over 100 the last two days here in VA - I saw 226 on my way home yesterday - that's 70+ mph highway driving for ~45 min. That may be the hottest I've ever seen it. Cools back down around 217 once off the highway.

Let me translate like Barbra Billingsley with the Jive guys in Airplane. He is saying that the 0W20 oil thins at the temps being seen here down to a 15w and that he got 200K trouble free miles out of this high-boost turbo running 10W30. Seems pretty clear to me. 🤣

if it thins down to 15W, he should have ran xW25 :unsure:

Thanks for the flashback. In case folks didn't get the reference, here is what TiGeo was talking about, from Airplane (scene starts at 58 seconds into the clip):

Thanks for the flashback. In case folks didn't get the reference, here is what TiGeo was talking about, from Airplane (scene starts at 58 seconds into the clip):

if you watch the clip from the beginning, the airplane engine is also running hot. Is that a coincidence?

OP,
since we don't want to hijack the thread, it all depends on where the sensor is located. also as someone mentioned most likely the airflow in your case until you get the RPM too high. You could have been in a sweet spot.

hang loose blood :)

Hi everyone,
I posted a thread a few weeks ago asking about the use of 0w20 508 oil in my 2019 GLI. I also asked about oil temperatures at that time, as my general oil temperature usually hovers between 225 and 228.
Today I had the opportunity to take a long road trip with my new car and I noticed a drop in oil temps on the highway. Today in the northeast the temperatures were very hot, in the low 90's at least. I have grown accustomed to the usual 225 temperature, so I was shocked when on the highway going about 80 mph the temperature dropped to 214-218.
I am currently running the factory recommended 0w20 oil. Is it normal/possible to drop almost ten degrees on the highway?

Thank you!

Oil temperature is highly dependant on RPM. You were cruising along , probably in top gear, at a relatively low RPM compared to revving higher through the gears while driving along in the city.

My GTI gets up to 219 sometimes. One thing I've noticed is in coolish weather it takes a LONG time for the oil to get up to temp...like 10 miles of driving. The coolant starts creeping up almost immediately but the oil takes a bit.
Your coolant is regulated by a thermostat so it's held in the engine block until it's reached 180/190 deg. The oil on the other hand is free flowing and takes longer to reach full temperature.

My '13 Passat 2.0 TDi stays around 230-238* all the time. Seems quite warm to me but supposedly normal. Heck, in my 6.0 PSD truck we get concerned if oil temps creep up much past 225*.

Back