0w20 vs 5w20 running on a Mazda 3 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: umungus1122
It's a 20 weight. Why would it cause an issue?

Up here is very cold, usually up to -20C.

Don't wanna risk worn out engine if 5w20 cannot handle that cold.

Shouldn't do any harm. Except for the factory warranty if you have a problem and the dealer decides to be difficult.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Shouldn't do any harm. Except for the factory warranty if you have a problem and the dealer decides to be difficult.

I believe they have to determine that the oil actually caused it, very unlikely.

Thanks all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Danno
Just go to a Toyota dealer and buy their 0W-20 TGMO. Bought some for $5.70 a liter a while ago.
Darn good oil and even better value.

Are they certified though? Remember that canadian TGMO are not the same as American

Canadian TGMO has API SN and ILSAC GF-5 approvals.

Since Mazda has no specific certification for the skyactiv, I guess API SN and ILSAC approvals are more than enough.

Originally Posted By: dgunay

Since Mazda has no specific certification for the skyactiv, I guess API SN and ILSAC approvals are more than enough.

I may drop by a stealership and try some for my next winter OCI. I just hate going to any stealership as most of the time they try to sell other stuff.

Originally Posted By: Stewie
Originally Posted By: Danno
Just go to a Toyota dealer and buy their 0W-20 TGMO. Bought some for $5.70 a liter a while ago.
Darn good oil and even better value.

Are they certified though? Remember that canadian TGMO are not the same as American

I'm not so sure that's accurate. I just bought 2 5L jugs of TGMO and on the bottle it says blended in the USA and bottled in Canada.

The 5w may also have less VM'ers and a lower volatility so I'd go with the 5w. I'm running M1 5w20 now in a Skyactiv 2.0.

Originally Posted By: Stewie
Originally Posted By: dgunay

I may drop by a stealership and try some for my next winter OCI. I just hate going to any stealership as most of the time they try to sell other stuff.

You would be going to the parts counter, not sure what they would up sell you on.

I just bought a Mazda 3 with the SkyAcrtiv 2.5 and have also been deliberating between 0w-20 and 5w20. What is driving this that Pennzoil Ultra is really hard to find at a reasonable price but 5w-20 is available at a much lower price. There are also many other fine oils in the 0W-20 range so maybe I will just go with one of those when the time comes.

I live in Southern California and my only concern with using 5w-20 is the claims often made that if there is an issue with an oil related engine failure under the warranty this could be used by the “dealer” to deny a warranty claim. Seem technically ridiculous when outside US and Canada 5w-30 is the recommend oil but legalities and terms and conditions can rule the day. And is not Mazda of America that denies and approves claims, not the dealer?

I know dealers like to use the genuine parts and servicing warranty violation threat to get customers to use there offerings so they can make money. The thing I question though in a situation like when a warranty claim is at hand already does the “dealer” really have any incentive to work against you like this. As I see it, the dealer in not going to pay for the repair, Mazda of America is going to pay the dealer for the repair work and they should make some money. I think they would be on your side to support you to get Mazda of America to pay for the repair and not try work against you but dinging you on the use of 5W-20 instead of 0w20, and try to keep you a happy customer. Sure you may need to show maintenance records and proof of oil changes but I cannot see the dealer at least throwing the records back at you saying you used 5w-20 oil , sorry too bad for you. Anybody have experience with a situation like this?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hofcat
I just bought a Mazda 3 with the SkyAcrtiv 2.5 and have also been deliberating between 0w-20 and 5w20. What is driving this that Pennzoil Ultra is really hard to find at a reasonable price but 5w-20 is available at a much lower price. There are also many other fine oils in the 0W-20 range so maybe I will just go with one of those when the time comes.

I live in Southern California and my only concern with using 5w-20 is the claims often made that if there is an issue with an oil related engine failure under the warranty this could be used by the “dealer” to deny a warranty claim. Seem technically ridiculous when outside US and Canada 5w-30 is the recommend oil but legalities and terms and conditions can rule the day. And is not Mazda of America that denies and approves claims, not the dealer?

I know dealers like to use the genuine parts and servicing warranty violation threat to get customers to use there offerings so they can make money. The thing I question though in a situation like when a warranty claim is at hand already does the “dealer” really have any incentive to work against you like this. As I see it, the dealer in not going to pay for the repair, Mazda of America is going to pay the dealer for the repair work and they should make some money. I think they would be on your side to support you to get Mazda of America to pay for the repair and not try work against you but dinging you on the use of 5W-20 instead of 0w20, and try to keep you a happy customer. Sure you may need to show maintenance records and proof of oil changes but I cannot see the dealer at least throwing the records back at you saying you used 5w-20 oil , sorry too bad for you. Anybody have experience with a situation like this?

I don't have experience with it but for an engine to fail due to oil, several noticeable things need to happen like burning oil.

I believe anyone changing their oil to something else other than recommended viscosity may have some common sense when it comes to cars.

Say you ran it with a different oil, and is all cool and dandy they (dealer) would have to bring that oil to a lab and proof that the oil viscosity was the cause. Often times they can be brought to court if they do not do that.

Again YMMV customer service on stealerships nowadays are *** where some may replace your engine, other like to blame the customer

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back